It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia suffers freezing temperatures

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
If the Gulf stream slows, there will be a new ice age in Europe. Could it get much worse than what is unexpectedly happening there at present?

The extracts below are combined from the three sources linked here.

www.rferl.org
The wave of Arctic air from Siberia hit Russia on 16 January and has not relented since, with temperatures plummeting to minus 31 degrees Celsius (minus 24 Fahrenheit) yesterday night. According to Moscow's weather forecasting service, this is the lowest recorded temperature on this date since 1927.

The mercury dropped still lower in Siberia. In Yamalo-Nenetsk Autonomous Okrug, the temperature plummeted to minus 61 degrees Celsius (minus 78 Fahrenheit), an all-time record low there.

The painfully cold temperatures have reportedly killed at least 31 people in European Russia since 16 January. Most of the casualties were among the homeless, despite an order by authorities to allow homeless people to sleep in train and metro stations.

Animals in zoos across Russia are being given shots, or in some cases buckets, of vodka to keep them warm.

But even in homes, heat is not always guaranteed. Thousands of people were temporarily left without heat in several Russian regions after central heating pipes burst. The 26,000 residents of the town of Tomilino near Moscow have been freezing for about 24 hours in record-breaking -30°C after a malfunction at a local boiler house, a local resident said Thursday.

A boiler at the plant broke Wednesday, leaving 43 buildings containing 923 apartments, a psychiatric hospital with 60 patients and a local police station without heat.

Vendors at Moscow's outdoor food and clothing markets shuttered their booths and outdoor ATMs reportedly froze up,

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I would imagine daily life in temperatures as low as -60 Celsius must almost grind to a halt.

The insulation needed inside the homes, which are probably not as high tech as many in the west, to stay warm would be interesting to see. Living would be marginal in the homes where there was no central heating at -30.

Not to mention the clothing you would need to travel, commute, or work outside.

Related News Links:
www.jamaicaobserver .com
en.rian.ru

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Netchicken]

[edit on 26-1-2006 by asala]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Buckets of vodka? One of the most medically insane things I ever heard of, considering alcohol reduces ther body's core temperature and your more likely to die of hypothermia.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 05:15 AM
link   

I am sure glad I live in Arizona. I will pray for the poor folks living there.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Humm, i just have one question to ask.

Why is it that I posted this same story a day before and it was immediately moved to another forum, yet this one is accepted as a submission?

I saw the first time this submission was written, it does seem that the mod, I mean poster was told it was better to change the introduction to make it look like a bit more of a conspiracy, so it would be accepted as a submission.

Humm.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Yup, buckets of vodka. And they even gave it to the elephants at the circus. Bad idea...

MosNews: Drunk Elephant Wreaks Havoc in Chilly Russian Circus

A Russian circus resorted to giant vodka cocktails in an attempt to protect performing elephants from extreme cold. One of the animals got so drunk it nearly destroyed the circus

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Humm, i just have one question to ask.

Why is it that I posted this same story a day before and it was immediately moved to another forum, yet this one is accepted as a submission?

What's that got to do with the topic: Russian Cold Snap?

I saw the first time this submission was written, it does seem that the mod, I mean poster was told it was better to change the introduction to make it look like a bit more of a conspiracy, so it would be accepted as a submission.

Why do you even care? You've got like 150 articles submitted, let some other people play in the pool.
I don't even understand what you're trying to ask in the last quote, because you were too busy being clever to make any sense.

OT: I think this incident with the boiler shows an inherent weakness with big infrastructure, like central boiler stations. If they're not properly maintained they can seriously endanger a whole bunch of people all at once. Still, the folks with houses should be able to bundle up and live through this without too much of a problem. The homeless are screwed if they refuse to vacate the streets.

I remember in NY a story about some hapless homeless person who slept on a steaming subway grate to keep warm during a particularly cold night. He froze to death and they found him in the morning, joined to the grate by the frozen condensation resulting from the steam. Pretty gruesome. Was that an urban legend, does anyone know, or did it actually happen?

The temp in Siberia..wow. I'd hate to be a convict in that weather. I wonder, if there was a massive prisoner die-off, would authorities attempt to cover it up? Anyone know how the prisons in Siberia are heated? They're more decentralized for the most part, I know, but I'm not sure if people have individual stoves and ample fuel, or what.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyrdeone
What's that got to do with the topic: Russian Cold Snap?

Because the topic was already submitted but was not accepted...

Originally posted by Wyrdeone
Why do you even care? You've got like 150 articles submitted, let some other people play in the pool. I don't even understand what you're trying to ask in the last quote, because you were too busy being clever to make any sense.

Why do i even care?... i see, so it is alright that i submit a story yet it is immediately denied and sent to another forum, yet because a mod was apparently shown favoritism for posting a similar submission, but seemed to have been told to tweek it to make it more of a conspiracy, is alright with you?

If that is "alright with you" more power to you i guess.... but imo it is not right to play favoritism for whatever reasons, even if I, or anyone else had/has 2,000,000 posts.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 02:46 AM
link   

so it is alright that i submit a story yet it is immediately denied and sent to another forum, yet because a mod was apparently shown favoritism for posting a similar submission, but seemed to have been told to tweek it to make it more of a conspiracy, is alright with you?

I don't know what the drama is, and I don't need to know - sufficed to say this isn't a competition, and I frankly don't care who posts the news as long as it gets posted. What I do know is that if you have a complaint about something that happened to your thread, THIS thread isn't the place for it. I also happen to know that you know that.

That's all I'm trying to say. Nothing against you, or your article. I'm not a mod, so do what you want, but IMO there's no reason to hash the issue out here.

While we're on this thread, we might as well discuss the cold snap, eh?

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Small addition to the cold weather has spreded west, with northern Finland being around -41C and the place i live -30C..only good thing is that It's colder in Russia

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regenmacher
Buckets of vodka? One of the most medically insane things I ever heard of, considering alcohol reduces ther body's core temperature and your more likely to die of hypothermia.

yes pretty insane, reminds me of the plan Mexico had to build BIG fans to blow the pollution away from them... too much tequila maybe?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Well I can say that -31 does sound cold .. but right now to me -31 would be warming up outside. LoL. Its currently -41 C out right now and I can say that life isnt really to much different except that you move alot quicker when its that cold and try not to spend that much time outside. I remember when i was a kid living further up north from where i am now and i use to walk to school when it was -31 so i dont see what the big news is about this story really. Its more of a interest article then a real news story, like when the temps get triple digets in the south.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:35 AM
link   
And this Siberian Winter came as far as Adriatic Sea, for that same Cold Front, came right to our doorsteps this week, and it has been FREEZING Cold here I tell ya! There was -20 and at some places -30 on Tuesday, but today is getting Warmer, for it is only -7! We are not used to this temperatures here in Slovenia, and I can't even imagine that I would have to spend my Night outiside in this temperatures, like some of the Homeless People I see on the Streets.

But the City has provided some Extra Sleeping Beds for these Homeless People, as well as extra Warm rations of Food and free Tea! Altho I know they would prefer Vodka.

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Wow! Two out of two threads i just read here are complaining about mod actions (this thread)... Serious "allegations" towards the mods really... What IS happening to the integrity of the moderation of this site? There have always been problems, but they sure seem more abundant lately... Apparently ownership is on vacation and the youngins are running amuk...

OT: -60 C is definetly cold. That is crazy and I have only experienced that temperature with a hefty wind chill. -30 C on the other hand is still a biting cold, but it is very tolerable... Someone mentioned the amount of clothing you would have to wear in those temps... Its all about layers, and you don't need to be bundled up looking like the michelin man to stay warm either...

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
well I just read the thread cos I thought ooo drama! but really didnt see the serious allegation thingo...maybe I missed something?

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Now, do people want some real conspiracy? Well, I must admit I myself think this is bunk but what do you make of it. The US has an exceptionally intense storm and hurricane season which devastated our gulf coast, and now Russia has its worst winter in decades. Changing weather patterns, or weather wars?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Changing weather patterns, or weather wars?

Interesting Point.

But, maybe there is a THIRD party Involved - I heard that Japanese Jakuza "Mafia" have the Weather Control Device. Maybe they are conducting Weather Wars?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Now, do people want some real conspiracy? Changing weather patterns, or weather wars?

um...might be some underlying truth in that...esp if you think long term....

Kyoto Protocol comes into force

Industrial pollutants are blamed for global warming

The Kyoto accord, which aims to curb the air pollution blamed for global warming, has come into force seven years after it was agreed.
The accord requires countries to cut emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases.

Some 141 countries, accounting for 55% of greenhouse gas emissions, have ratified the treaty, which pledges to cut these emissions by 5.2% by 2012.

But the world's top polluter - the US - has not signed up to the treaty...news.bbc.co.uk...

US has global warming strategy...??? if thats the case...if New Orleans is anything to go by, I hope they have an Emergency Disaster Plan that incorporates ALL people from ALL areas of society....!!

top topics

join