It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Alpha Chi Sigma a Skull and Bones franchise?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Here is one of their symbols

There was a frat discussed here recently that was chartered/franchised or whatever by Skull and Bones, and they had a skull and, rather than bones, some keys crossed beneath it though.

The handshake seems to be reminiscient of a secret handshake. Not that it is showing any one in particular.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Interesting. Where is that Frat located? Ivy League school?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Seems to be a Chemistry Professional Fraternity. I wasn't aware that there was this much information about them. Thought maybe some of the knowledgeable people here might know about them.

www.alphachisigma.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

They apparently had a chapter in Yale, their "Chi Chapter", but its gone inactive. Odd, that Yale wouldn't have a chemistry professionals chapter.

Here is their coat of arms

The characters in the gold/chrome sash are alchemical symbols.

Not sure what the tree like structure is.

Here is some more information, apparently they are sometimes refered to as Axe.

www.chem.wisc.edu...
The fraternity was founded in Madison, Wisconsin on December 11, 1902 by nine undergraduate students in the field of chemistry

From here
students.syr.edu...
it looks like they subdivide into "Families" with alchemical names.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Most all Fraternities use the Skull & Crossbones symbol. Having or using the Skull & Crossbones should not indicate a connection to the Skull & Bones Society at Yale.

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   
you would be correct Boat about how many fraternities have a use of the Skull and Bones. The only known offshoot organization of S&B is Theta Nu Epsilon. One thing to notice about the symbols used by TNE and SB is that the skull has no lower jaw, which if i remember reading somewhere, is to symbolize secrecy and not talking of the society.

notice how many fraternities have a skull in some way, but all have a lower jaw

could that be becuase they are public societies? Who knows, but its quite the coincidence.

-EyE

[edit on 20-1-2006 by searchingeye]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by searchingeye

could that be becuase they are public societies? Who knows, but its quite the coincidence.

-EyE

No, none of the fraternities you have listed are "public", they are all private clubs for members only. They are secret.

-- Boat

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The Skull & Crossbones missing a jaw is the traditonal way that that symbol would appear on a tomb stone.

It is the most "scary" way to use this symbol.

-- Boat

posted on Feb, 21 2006 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Fraternities use symbolism. Many times this symbolism is repeated from organization to organization.

Skull and cross bones = mortality

Handshake = fraternity

The two stars on either side of the skull most likely represent something as well. Its not a connection to Skull and Bones, just the use of symbolism.

posted on Feb, 22 2006 @ 03:58 PM
link   
i knew an alpha chi sigma in college- absolutely no connection to skull and bones

many greek letter orgs use the skull and cross bones. i know kappa delta and chi omega do

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by randee83
i knew an alpha chi sigma in college- absolutely no connection to skull and bones

You do, or anyone else know of any colleges that have active chapter of Alpha Chi Sigma? I am having trouble finding, real information on them...

-- Boat

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Wait, nevermind...

I guess it is a professional fraternity...my bad...

Anyone here a member?

-- Boat

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 04:47 AM
link   
scary, most fraternities use skulls as a showing of secreacy.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by theshrew
scary, most fraternities use skulls as a showing of secreacy.

I didn't know that. The freemasons use it as a symbol of mortality and I had assumed the fraternities did likewise.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by theshrew
most fraternities use skulls.

Do they? Has this been your experience? I presume you don't mean as one of their more public symbols then, how'd you find out? Are you a 'ritual collector'? I've seen that this is something of an interesting hobby with lots of people.

posted on May, 8 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I think I saw this on the History Channel’s Secret Society Doc, (not the Unsolved Mystery one) but the skull and crossbones does in fact represent death.

The founders think it’s important for a youth, (i.e. coming of age uni student) to think and reflect on his/her own death. Probably so that they can stop wasting time and focusing on things that are important. – life is short….that type of thing.

So is there any truth to the story that the skulls and bones symbol comes from the Russell family flag (Pirate flag) whose ship were transporting opium to China?

EDIT: fixed link
Although the article is marked not neutral it does support the theory.

Founded in 1823, Russell and Company’s drug trader logo was appropriately one of the old fashioned pirate flags: the Skull and Crossbones.
Ten years later, founded in 1832-3, the same Russell-family co-founded Skull and Bones had adopted the Skull and Crossbones as its logo as well--adding the number ‘322.’
Source: en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 8/5/06 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Sep, 1 2006 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I'm a member of Alpha Chi Sigma...would DEFINITELY not call it a skull and bones thing...sorry...it's a professional organization of chemists. We promote chemistry.

posted on Sep, 5 2006 @ 12:06 AM
link   
They had a chapter at my school and I was a chemistry major. I went to a couple of their recruiting events, but decided not to join up as the members at my school were too dorky.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Stumbled Upon your Thread here... just to finish it for you...

Alpha Chi Sigma is not a Skull and Bones society.
Yes, we are a Professional Chemistry Fraternity.
Yes, we are a 'Secret Organization', but not in the way you think of Secret Societies. For one thing, we have a very open Website which includes our Educational Foundation.

Our secrets do involve some of the symbolism that you see on our badges and coat of arms, but it is not a far stretch, if you know some heraldry, to understand most of it without me telling you (which I can't do anyway... its a secret
)

Thanks for your interest!

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
My sorority used the skull and crossbones as one of our symbols. Both we, along with several other sororities, use it as a symbol for "faithful until death."

new topics

top topics

join