It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War In Nagorno Karabakh Can Start At Any Moment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Apparently there is a real danger that a war may break out in Nagorno-Karabakh at any moment. Vice-president of the International Crisis Group Alain Deletroz warns about this possibility.

Regions and territories: Nagorno-Karabakh (BBC)

International Crisis Group representative: war in Nagorno Karabakh can start at any moment (REGNUM)

“If we observe the Nagorno Karabakh conflict from the OSCE Minsk Group point of view, it can be the only conflict in the CIS territory, in settlement of which all world powers are interested, because continuation of the conflict is unprofitable to everybody, including the US, Russia and Europe,” said vice-president of the International Crisis Group Alain Deletroz.

the war in Nagorno Karabakh can start at any moment, after one of the sides suddenly thinks it has enough forces to retrieve all occupied territories. He added that recent showings of both Azerbaijan and Armenian economies demonstrate that war will ruin all positive tendencies

Azat Artsakh Newspaper: PRESS RELEASE

On January 12 the OSCE mission conducted a monitoring of the front line between the armed forces of Nagorno Karabakh and Azerbaijan in the vicinities of Talish, Martakert region.

No cases of breaking the ceasefire were reported during the monitoring.

This is very interesting and this situation should be monitored closely. A war breaking out in that area could have serious consequences (just like any war will, of course). 95% of the population in Nagorno-Karabakh are ethnic Armenians.

Related ATS Threads:
Gigantic Oil Pipeline From Caspian Sea Opened Today
No Orange Revolution In Azerbaijan

Related Links And Resources:
Azat Artsakh Newspaper (NAGORNO KARABAKH REPUBLIC NEWSPAPER)
Regions and territories: Nagorno-Karabakh (BBC)
WikiPedia: Nagorno-Karabakh

[edit on 2006/4/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Wars and rumors of wars. (sigh)

You know, i'm not even a christian and i'm starting to sweat like an athiest at the pearly gates.

Wupy

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:27 PM
link   
wupy
That's a prophecy that can't help but come true. It's like saying "The sun will rise tommorow", but in a spooky voice. Mankind has been fighting over resources and various ephemera since our earliest days. You'd be hard pressed to find a period of history that couldn't fulfill the "wars and rumors of wars" requirement.

Hellmutt
Thanks for bringing this here, I hadn't seen it before (and I don't exactly live under a rock).
I'm still reading up on the situation, so I don't really know enough about it right now to comment.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:38 PM
link   
WyrdeOne

I must admit that when I heard about the possibility of an imminent war someplace, I had to look up where that place was as well. I´ve never heard about this place before. Azerbaijan I´ve heard about of course, but not Nagorno-Karabakh. This is apparently one of those conflicts the world has forgotten about, it doesn´t get much coverage in the media. The Armenians, if I´m not mistaken they are mainly Christians.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 04:50 AM
link   
There has been high level talks between the Foreign ministers of Azerbaijan and Armenia in London. The Presidents of Azerbaijan and Armenia will meet soon in France. They were invited by the French.

Payvand´s Iran News: Presidents of Armenia And Azerbaijan To Meet

1/20/06

High-level talks between Armenia and Azerbaijan on Nagorno-Karabakh have ended with an announcement of an upcoming meeting between the countries' presidents.

Oskanian told RFE/RL's Armenian service that the two presidents will come together in France, probably sometime in early February.

Predominantly ethnic Armenian Karabakh seceded from Soviet Azerbaijan in 1988, triggering a war that claimed some 30,000 lives and drove more than 800,000 people from their homes. A truce was signed in 1994, but Armenia and Azerbaijan remain formally at war.

"Armenia and Azerbaijan remain formally at war"? I didn´t know that...

RA MFA: Progress on Some Issues Fixed in London (PanARMENIAN.Net)

Progress on some issues was fixed however the parties still disagreed on a number of items. The OSCE NG Co-Chairs handed the Ministers French President’s Jacques Chirac’s invitations to Presidents Robert Kocharian and Ilham Aliyev to hold their meeting in France.

CIS: Armenian-Azerbaijani Cup Match Falls Through, Raises Eyebrows (RFE/RL)

20 January 2006

Armenia and Azerbaijan were set to square off today for a semifinal soccer match in the Commonwealth Cup being played in Moscow. But the Armenians refused to play, claiming Russia had failed to give them proper security guarantees. The Russian Football Union, however, says the team's withdrawal may have more to do with politics than with security.

ARMINFO: THE EX-OMBUDSMAN OF ARMENIA CONSIDERS THE "HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH"...

January 20, 2006

The ex-Ombudsman also commented on the problem of alternative military service for the "Witnesses of Jehovah", saying that it is a matter on internal policy and should be solved in accord with geopolitical interests of Armenia.

"Witnesses of Jehovah"

[edit on 2006/1/21 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Apparently two explosions hit two pipelines and caused the gas supply from Russia to Georgia and Armenia to be cut off. Georgia now imports gas from Azerbaijan. I don´t know how the Armenians are doing without the Russian gas.

RIA Novosti: Blasts on pipelines cut gas supplies to Georgia, Armenia

22/ 01/ 2006

Two blasts that occurred early Sunday on trunk pipelines running across southern Russia cut gas supplies to Georgia and Armenia, the Russian Emergency Situations Ministry said.

The explosions hit two pipelines in North Ossetia, Russia's republic in the North Caucasus.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

RIA Novosti: Georgia starts importing gas from Azerbaijan

22/ 01/ 2006

The Georgian gas import company started importing natural gas from neighboring Azerbaijan, after the explosions on pipelines running across southern Russia cut natural gas supplies to Georgia and Armenia, the company's press office said Sunday.

The Georgian Fuel and Energy Ministry also said it was holding talks with Iran on gas supplies to the republic.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Although this war like anyother war is a sad thing I think the cold war rivalry between the US and Sino-Russia combine will play a lot of politics here. Especially in the current oil politics going on in Central Asia between the US and Sino-Russia. Azerbaijan being an important part of the central asian corridor would be very important to any side. Any side that controls this area will have a significant advantage over the others and would be able to dominate the situation. The US could use this opportunity to level the advantage of the Chinese-Kazak pipeline by gaining domination over this region. This might also boost US popularity in the region along with the significant geo-political mileage this would give.
The Georgians and the Armenians dont have good realtions with the Russians anyway historically and the US might want to exploit this to make the most of the situation.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Russia is being blamed for sabotaging their own pipelines. And there were three explosions at three different locations. ATS Thread here: Two Gas Pipelines, One Electrical Line Sabotaged; Georgia and Armenia left out in the Cold (by Gools)

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Hmm. The Russian FSB (KGB) apparently "knew something was up" before the pipelines were blown up. Here is an article from January 20th. Terrorists trained by Al Qaeda in Georgia!

Interfax: Russia tightens border control over terrorist attack plans - FSB

Jan 20, 2006

Russia has tightened security in the North Caucasus after being tipped off about plans by international terrorists to stage terrorist acts in several places in southern Russia. "Operational reports have been received along the lines of the Federal Security Service (FSB) and the Interior Ministry that militants are being trained in the Pankisi gorge, Georgia, under the leadership of representatives of international terrorist organizations, including Al Qaeda, for terrorist acts in several regions in the North Caucasus," a FSB spokesman told Interfax on Friday, saying that other Russian law enforcement agencies received similar tip-offs.

And the FSB has very good relations to special services of Azerbaijan as reported here January 18.

Azertag: HEAD OF FSB OF RUSSIAN FEDERATION SATISFIED WITH COOPERATION WITH SPECIAL SERVICES OF FOREIGN STATES

January 18, 2006

The head of FSB of Russia Nikolay Patrushev in the interview to the “Russian” newspaper published on January 18, has expressed satisfaction with cooperation of special services of the foreign states, including with special services of Azerbaijan.

forces of FSB had detained the participants of a dangerous criminal group working in territory of Azerbaijan.

Related ATS Threads:
Joint swedish/russian military exercise!
FSB (KGB) Are Coming To UK To Rehearse A Terror Attack

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I just found this. It´s very interesting, check it out. A basic learning to "forgotten wars".

Basic Learning: Forgotten Wars (Soj)

Combatants: Ethnic Armenians (Christian) vs. ethnic Azeris (Muslim)

Current Status: Frozen. Border skirmishes kill approximately 40 people per year.

Reason for Conflict: Ethnic Armenians and Azeris in the region do not live in easily divisible geographic locations. The region Nagorno-Karabakh has always been populated by a majority of ethnic Armenians. During the Soviet era, Nagorno-Karabakh was placed inside the Soviet SSR of Azerbaijan. After independence in 1991, Azerbaijan maintained its Soviet-established borders. A war immediately broke out in Nagorno-Karabakh. With support and troops from Armenia, Nagorno-Karabakh became a de facto independent state and aligned with Armenia. Nagorno-Karabakh uses Armenian currency and most residents carry Armenian passports.

[more...]

Click the link to see the full version with the rest of the details...

[edit on 2006/4/23 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 01:58 PM
link   
A U.S. company are going to mine uranium in Armenia!
"The witnesses of Jehova" are sitting on a gold mine... I mean a uranium mine. Oops

BakuTODAY.net: U.S. Firm to Mine Uranium In Armenia

Radio Free Europe 26/01/2006 16:22

A U.S. gold mining company has announced plans to expand its operations in Armenia by developing and exporting the country’s hitherto untapped uranium reserves.

edited to add link to :
Press release from Global Gold Corporation.
"Global Gold Expands Into Uranium Exploration in Armenia at Getik Property"

[edit on 2006/1/28 by Hellmutt]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Ok, I got it. I just remembered now. It´s all about tin foil!

Russia´s New Armenian Foil-Folding Asset ("the most powerful factory in Europe" - From 05.12.2005)

posted on Feb, 15 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Iskander Gamidov, the leader of the National-Democratic Party of Azerbaijan said Azerbaijan should prepare for war to take back Nagorno-Karabakh. He said sooner or later war will be inevitable, they should prepare society for war and negotiations should be halted.

Interfax: Azerbaijani politician urges war preparations to retake territories

Feb 15 2006

Azerbaijan should prepare for war in order to take back territories seized by Armenia, said the leader of the opposition National-Democratic Party of Azerbaijan (NDPA), Iskander Gamidov. "Maybe in a month, maybe in a year or two, but sooner or later war will be inevitable. We should prepare for it and prepare society," Gamidov said at a roundtable meeting titled 'Prospects for the Karabakh settlement by military means' on Wednesday.

"Negotiations should be halted, because any negotiations are concessions and we have nothing to cede as far as the issue of guaranteeing territorial integrity is concerned," Gamidov said.

posted on Mar, 1 2006 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Talks between Armenia and Azerbaijan regarding Nagorno-Karabakh are at a "dead end". The President of Azerbaijan said his country must "be ready for any eventuality"...

RFE/RL: Azerbaijan's Aliyev Says Karabakh Talks At 'Dead End'

01 March 2006

Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev was quoted today as saying that talks with Armenia over the Nagorno-Karabakh enclave are at a "dead end." Speaking in the town Banofshala, in a small part of Nagorno-Karabakh still controlled by Azerbaijan, Aliyev said his country must review its position and be ready for any eventuality.

Progress in resolving the dispute appeared to be gaining momentum in recent weeks, culminating in a face-to-face meeting last month in France between the presidents of Armenia and Azerbaijan. But those talks ended without any reports of a breakthrough.

This doesn´t sound good...

posted on Mar, 4 2006 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Armenian Defense Ministry said that Azerbaijani soldiers had opened fire on Armenian troops Thursday night. They said it was the third violation of the ceasefire within two days.

RIA Novosti: Armenia says Azerbaijan fired on its troops

03/ 03/ 2006

Armenian Defense Ministry spokesman Sergei Shakhsuvaryan said that on Thursday night Azerbaijani troops were shooting at the Armenian stretch of Baganis-Idzhevan road. He said no one was hurt among Armenian soldiers, and they did not open fire in return. "It was Azerbaijan's third violation of the ceasefire regime within two days, where Armenian and Azerbaijani armed forces are in close contact," Shakhsuvaryan said.

posted on Mar, 31 2006 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mamedyarov warns that Azerbaijan may start a war to take back "their territories".

Axis News: Azerbaijani foreign minister warns that Baku may choose the military way to free territories

“If the talks on settlement of Nagorno Karabakh bear no result, we will have to choose the other, military way to free our territories and restore our territorial integrity,” Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mamedyarov is quotes as saying by a Regnum news agency correspondent while talking to Azerbaijani press on March 30.

Azerbaijani media accuses Armenia for breaking a ceasefire and killing a Azerbaijani soldier on the border...

BakuTODAY.net: Azerbaijan says soldier killed on Armenian border

30/03/2006

Azerbaijan accused Armenia Thursday of breaking a ceasefire and responsibility for the death of one of its soldiers on their common border.

"An Azeri soldier was killed during the habitual violations of the ceasefire by the Armenian side," the defence ministry said in Baku. "Azerbaijan's positions in the Tovuz region were targeted by Armenian military units from the Berd area," it said.

Armenian media says Armenia’s position is unchangeable and "Karabakh citizens have never been and will never be citizens of Azerbaijan"...

PanARMENIAN.Net: Armenia Not Going to Come out of Karabakh Talks

Armenia’s position on the Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement is unchangeable and we are not going to come out of the negotiation process,” Hamlet Gasparian noted. To remind, Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov stated that “official Baku is ready to hold talks with the Armenian community of Karabakh if they admit Azerbaijani citizenship and if Armenia comes out of the negotiation process.”

PanARMENIAN.Net: Karabakh Citizens Have Never Been and Will Never Be Azerbaijani Citizens

The Nagorno Karabakh authorities always supported NKR participation in the negotiations without preconditions, NKR MFA information and analytical department told PanARMENIAN.Net. when commenting on the latest statement by the Azerbaijani FM. “Karabakh citizens have never been and will never be citizens of Azerbaijan. The statements by the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry are made for home and do not reflect the real process on the Nagorno Karabakh conflict settlement,” the NR MFA said.

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
The frozen conflicts of the former Sovjet Union (Nagorno-Karabakh, Transdniester, Abkhazia and South Ossetia) will be on the agenda of the G8-meeting which will take place in St. Petersburg in July. It will be the first time ever that the G8 will discuss these conflicts.

CIS: U.S. Pushes Harder On 'Frozen Conflicts' (RFE/RL)

April 21, 2006

U.S. Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns says the United States will press for the so-called frozen conflicts of the former Soviet Union -- Nagorno-Karabakh, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Transdniester -- to be included on the agenda of the summit of the Group of Eight (G-8) leading industrialized economies in St. Petersburg in July. It will be the first time that the G-8 has discussed the conflicts. The group is likely to focus on the apparently intractable dispute between Armenia and Azerbaijan over Karabakh.

A flurry of diplomatic activity has reawakened hopes that an agreement on at least one of the "frozen conflicts" of the former Soviet Union may be within reach. Part of the optimism stems from growing international attention to the problems of the post-Soviet states. The decision of the United States to press for the inclusion of the frozen conflicts in Nagorno-Karabakh, Abkhazia, South Ossetia, and Transdniester on the St. Petersburg G-8 summit agenda is a case in point.

Related ATS Threads:
Tiraspol - Moldova - Mafia in Uniform (Moldova: Transdniester)
Abkhaz Leader Has Ordered Army To Sink Any Georgian Ships In Its Waters (Georgia: Abkhazia and South Ossetia)

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Hellmutt, another great thread....keep 'em coming

"Armenia and Azerbaijan remain formally at war"? I didn´t know that...

Yeah Armenia and Azerbaijan have been at it for awhile now. About a year or two ago it got so bad that both countries blockaded the borders and did not allow anyone to pass. The only way to do so was to use Georgia as a medium to get from one to the other...which was a huge inconveinence because there were no direct flights between Tbilisi and Yerevan and only a weekly flight between Tbilisi and Baku.

Sporty

[edit on 24/4/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 10:25 AM
link   

The Georgians and the Armenians dont have good realtions with the Russians anyway historically and the US might want to exploit this to make the most of the situation.

Good point. The US has been 'playing' both sides for awhile now, mainly Georgia. Although, like I've said in a few other threads, I think the US is not in it for money or oil.....I think the US is looking at making Georgia the next Turkey, a place to moblize troops and set up bases....but that's thinking too far ahead

Sporty

[edit on 24/4/2006 by SportyMB]

posted on Jul, 3 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Mediators have gone public with details about the Karabakh peace process. They have made public the key issues which they are trying to agree on. So far the peace negotiations have remained confidential and whenever the negotiations failed they simply told the public: "the two presidents failed to agree". Going public may or may not be a good idea. I guess we'll find out if going public makes any difference for the peace process. They are still far from agreeing to a peaceful solution. I hope the step of going public with this is not an act of desperation. It could give backlash and turn from bad to worse.

RFE/RL: Nagarno-Karabakh: Mediators Take The Process Public

June 30, 2006

Lifting the veil of confidentiality that has marked the Karabakh peace process since it began in 1992, the French, Russian and U.S. co-chairmen of the OSCE Minsk Group tasked with mediating a solution to the conflict have over the past eight days gone public with a summary of the basic principles currently under discussion.

Over the 14 years that the Minsk Group has been trying to mediate a political solution to the Karabakh conflict, those involved have generally abided by a "gentlemen's agreement" that the negotiating process should remain confidential. The rationale for doing so is primarily to avoid derailing the peace process by alerting the public in one or other country to unpalatable concessions required that opposition parties might seize upon to discredit national leaders prepared to accept those concessions.

A further "gray area" not touched upon in the Armenian Foreign Ministry statement is the future status of several districts that prior to 1988 were part of the then Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast, but which Azerbaijan took control of in May-June 1991, expelling the Armenian population.

Hey, I have an idea! Why not give it to the Palestinians?
(I'm kidding of course)

Hoping for the best
Peace

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join