It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iran Threatens To Create An Oil Crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Iran, the #2 exporter in the world when it comes to oil, has threatened to unleash an oil crisis if sanctions are placed on them by the United Nations for their nuclear program.

news.yahoo.com
Iran warned of a world oil crisis if sanctions are imposed over its nuclear program even as the United States and Europe struggled to get support for UN Security Council action.

"In case of sanctions, other countries will suffer as well as Iran," Oil Minister Davoud Danesh-Jafari said, according to the official news agency, IRNA.

"One of the consequences will be the unleashing of a crisis in the oil sector and particularly a price hike."

Iran, the number two oil exporter in OPEC with oil revenue last year of 42 billion dollars, risks being referred to the United Nations Security Council over what the West suspects is a covert nuclear weapons drive.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Add on the problems with Nigeria, and the latest threat from Osama, and we're probably looking at paying more than $3.00 US a gallon in the very near future.

I think it's time for people to stop waiting for someone else to take a stance. I think we all need to look for alternative energy sources, because if we continue to purchase oil, and continue to pay more and more money for it, then they are not going to look for alternative sources for us.

Related News Links:
www.finance.news.com.au
www.voanews.com
www.busrep.co.za
www.businessworld.ie

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
In europe we're already paying close to and in some countries over 2$ a liter, thats over 8$ per gallon.

The US is lucky to not being that reliant on Middle Eastern oil, or aren't they 'lucky'?

The reason why the US is stiring up the hornets nest in the middle east is just because they know very well that the primary impact of it is directly on Europe and the rest of the world.

The only reason the prices in the US go up a lil bit too is because of stock markets. At the same time, oil company's record record profits for every quarter and year they close.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:41 AM
link   
This article simply represents the price of global oil politics. Its a vital strategic resource, and the people that sell it are allways going to be able to use it as leverage. Its simply a good reason for any nation to do whats in its power to reduce oil dependancy, whether its via alternative fuels or more fuel efficient vehicles and industry.

It also shows how dangerous an Iran War would be, in terms of global economic effects.

Its interesting to hear the complaints of $3 a gallon when its shown that a population can easily withstand $8 a gallon, as in Europe. This might show that it'd have to get to be something like $10 a gallon before the US population can legitimately say its cracking under the pressure.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Iran isn't threatening to creat an oil crisis. It has already been said here in the US - if sanctions are imposed it will cost us more at the pumps.

If we impose sanctions against Iran they will have plenty more oil to stockpile and they won't need the nuclear power.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
The Iranians are withdrawing funds from European banks in anticipation of sanctions. Iran would be the biggest loser if sanctions were imposed, because they would lose their primary soure of income; to me there is no doubt that sanctions would be followed by blockades so that Iranian oil could not reach western markets.

In the long-term, a price increase could benefit the US, if managed correctly. That is, if it spurs development of alternative energy sources, esp. hydrogen for cars. Hopefully, the price increase would bring gas to about $4/gal max; I don't see how we could survive an increase to $8/gal, as has been suggested, at least not for a prolonged period of time.

Imo, the fact that Iran is willing to risk pushing the world to the brink of economic disaster is proof enough that their nuclear ambitions are not soley for energy development. They want the bomb. They don't seem to care how much of the world is negatively affected by their actions.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
The only reason Europeans pay more than Americans for gas is taxes, and those taxes could be repealed at any time by your parliaments.

If Iran slows or stops petroleum production everyone will be hit equally, but that would be a better outcome than if Iran used nuclear weapons to totally corner the market in perpetuity.

[edit on 1/20/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Imo, the fact that Iran is willing to risk pushing the world to the brink of economic disaster is proof enough that their nuclear ambitions are not soley for energy development. They want the bomb. They don't seem to care how much of the world is negatively affected by their actions.

You're right, because the US and other Western nations care so much about what happens to Iran.

Western nations care about Iran sooo much, they're willing to free them from themselves by bombing the crap out of their country.

I agree it's possible they are building a nuclear weapon, as long as we realize that this war and other current ones are about global politics, not some feel-good mission of righteousness.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

your right

Iran just being threatend by the US and so forth has nothing to do with things.

IMO i think this is great

most people here seem to think just because Iran doesnt supply the US with oil doesnt mean the amount they produce has any effect on them.
to bad it does

curious
since the US doller is effected by oil prices does it mean its value will drop by a few pence (might be able to get a bargin on the net)

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   

curious
since the US doller is effected by oil prices does it mean its value will drop by a few pence (might be able to get a bargin on the net)

I imagine you could. Just wait in line behind all the big time players on Wall St. and in China.

It's a good thing the US economy is in a robust phase right now. We're in a better position to weather this than Europe is. Which is probably why France and Germany have decided to support us in threatening sanctions.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I thought the sanctions are what would be creating the economic problems. If France and Germany were not able to weather an economic slowdown, why would they support the sanctions that would cause this slowdown?

France and Germany are the 2 biggest economies in Europe too....

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:55 AM
link   
the sanctions are what will cause the oil crisis, as I stated earlier.

the title is misleading

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This is ultimately over keeping Iran from getting the bomb. They broke the seals, they broke Europe's trust, so where does Europe (and US) go from here?

The Sanctions -> embargoes -> oil crisis - > armed resolution are/will be a fallout of the growing nuclear crisis.

[edit on 20-1-2006 by jsobecky]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 07:45 PM
link   
this is a u.s made crisis to make the oil stocks go up.it all about money.they could care less about iran and its energy problems.i bet ya a cookie on this one......

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I agree it's possible they are building a nuclear weapon, as long as we realize that this war and other current ones are about global politics, not some feel-good mission of righteousness.

Why, because you "feel" it is so, so it must be so and none can disagree with you because you "must be right"?

Pleaaase...who is talking about a "feel-good mission of righteousness"?

[edit on 20-1-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
What can also create an oil crisis:

1) If Iran's government implodes because of all angry youths protesting, who make up 65% of the population. So if we bomb the hell out of their nuclear program, they'll hate us and won't sell us any oil, but the youth will rally behind the leadership and prevent the country from descending into anarchy. And if we don't, the youth will enact change anyways, and won't sell us any oil. It's a no winner in my opinion.

2) If Saudi Arabia's government implodes, which it's very, very close to doing. The new regime wouldn't be nearly as friendly to us.

3) If Venezuala starts selling oil to China instead. They're really starting to hate us down there.

4) Some maniac firing a shoulder-launched missile at an Arabian Refinery or driving a Zodiac boat into a tanker in the Persian Gulf.

4) If the people get tricked into buying large SUVs and creating a large suburban housing bubble and all its related activities. All this predicated on the idea that we could continue building out a living arrangement dependent on cheap oil and methane gas, and that all the subdivisions and strip malls would retain value for decades to come. Of course, this would be the central delusion of the suburban sprawl economy, because it would be obvious to anyone who gave the situation more than a cursory glance that cheap oil and gas are the things we are least likely to have in the years to come.... Oh wait, that already happened.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Iran would be the biggest loser if sanctions were imposed, because they would lose their primary soure of income; to me there is no doubt that sanctions would be followed by blockades so that Iranian oil could not reach western markets.

It's possible that Iran could pretty much survive without the west, China's economy is growing and they're getting real thirsty for oil and gas, they've already had many blackouts because of power shortages, same thing goes for India and Pakistan. If the west doesn't want Irans oil, they take their business elsewhere.

China is on a global hunt for oil, heck they're even doing oil business with Canada! They also have the balls to go to countries like Sudan for oil, no doubt they will buy more Iranian oil if offered since it's much closer to China.
It's only a matter of time till China uses it's military strength to protect it's energy security, and I'd think that includes helping out Iran.
BTW, China is also going to do some oil business with Venezuela and Brazil.

I think the same goes for Russia too, some experts in the Russian energy sector say Russia might stop exporting energy sources alltogether by 2010, which would leave Europe in the piss, especially since they're giving up Iranian oil aswell.
Russia, Iran and Azerbaijan are also working together in the oil business. Russia and India are also pursuing a strategic partnership, they might even ask Iran to join, this partnership would include among other things possible joint projects in the defense field, arms trade and protecting Tehrans right to work on it's nuclear projects, "if they are based on peaceful initiatives."

So as long as the wests oil depedency is as big as it is, I'm afraid countries like Iran, Venezuela, Saudi Arabia etc. are holding the cards ... and if we invade these countries, it will seriously piss off Russia, China and India.

Personally I think Iran wants to develop nuclear weapons, they already have the blueprints, all they need is the enriched uranium and what not. But for what purposes? Terrorist attacks on the west? I doubt it. Attacking Israel? Perhaps at some point in time, not that Israel wouldn't do the same with their nukes. Deterrance, seeing as the US' foreign policy hasn't been that friendly lately? Sounds more plausible.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 05:00 AM
link   
You guys moan at the cost of fuel in the US....jeez,try living in Britain where we pay more than 2 dollars a LITRE.And rising fast.
We pay somthing like 75% tax to the govt.
And yes we have protested,like we protested against the war in Iraq.And yes the govt. took no notice ,just like with the war in Iraq.
The next war in Iran will be great for the oil companies/govt.s as oil prices will skyrocket....you don't really think this is an accident do you?

USE BIOFUELS....help the planet and its people.

USE petrofuels....help corrupt govt. oil companies and WAR.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 05:23 AM
link   

from SwearBear
If the west doesn't want Irans oil, they take their business elsewhere.

That's what makes it dicey. It's not a matter of wanting the oil, it's a matter of what happens if we decide to prevent tankers from delivering the oil.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
In europe we're already paying close to and in some countries over 2$ a liter, thats over 8$ per gallon.

The price of a barrel of oil is the same worldwide. Your getting shafted by your own government's tax policies.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Originally posted by Jamuhn

Why, because you "feel" it is so, so it must be so and none can disagree with you because you "must be right"?

Pleaaase...who is talking about a "feel-good mission of righteousness"?

Yes, because I believe it is so, and it's a waste to get hung up on the emotional side like with what happened in Iraq, when this is merely about power. If you believed contrary to this, you would have said so and I invite you to say so if you still want to.

I know you have some mean-spirited vendetta against me and some others and that you would like to hijack this thread, but I am asking you to control yourself and stay on topic.

[edit on 21-1-2006 by Jamuhn]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join