It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High Powered Portable Green Lasers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I've taken some pictures of some portable high-powered green lasers that have only fairly recently become available. The most powerful laser in my pictures is a 90mW laser outputting at a wavelength of 532nm. What is interesting about this wavelength is that it is much more visible to the human eye than other colors such as the red. This, along with the high output makes the beam incredibly visible even in lighted conditions.

Green Laser Gallery

I use these lasers quite a bit for astronomy and experiments in physics and optics. The beam is so bright that it can literally be used to point out stars in the night sky to those standing around me. The photos in which I write on a distant cliff face was taken with an exposure time of several seconds. Most of the other photos were taken with much shorter exposures.

The beam on the 90mW can reach many miles away. I had to be extra careful to shut the beams off whenever any planes were visible or audible in the sky.

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Davidgojr]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Wow, nice pictures! I got to play with some lasers last term in an optics class, but they were just wussy little lasers. They were HeNe lasers that I think were about 5mW, if I remember correctly, and their wavelength was about 633nm, which is red.

For those interested in lasers, I took a look at www.wickedlasers.com... (there was a link to that at the bottom of David's webpage) and they have some pretty impressive lasers for sale, if you're willing to pay for them. I'd love to have one of those, but I'm not spending that kind of cash; I'm a poor, starving student!

Also, what David says about green being more visible to the human eye is correct. The human eye sees more shades of green than any other color in the visible spectrum. This is the reason that quality night vision goggles make everything look green; they are designed that way so that you get more shades of color than any other color would produce.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Thanks, I'm glad you like the photographs.
It's amazing to see what these types of portable lasers are like in person. The interesting thing is that you can get this much output from just 2 AAA batteries!

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Davidgojr]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I currently own the Extreme II (50 to 60mw). I am deployed at Baghdad in OIF 3. I recently showed this product to the platoon leader and both of us came up with many possible uses for this device. For example, this is a great alternative to tracer fire to direct troops or a great way to paint a target; also a great intimidation to our enemies overseas. It's like the hand of god, we can send a car screeching from a mile away. We are thinking of ordering one for each platoon in our company. Thank you kindly.
Sgt. David Maiolo

Wow, that is the last thing I expected from the testimonials at the bottom of the pages. I would have expected that the lasers used for painting a target were the best around (I suppose the would be, given that they have to be out of the range of human sight). It just suprises me that this isn't a major tool in the fight over there. It certainly would make sense to use it in checkpoints. A searing light would certainly be less ambiguous that warning shots fired in the air.

I want that

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I have a 500mw green laser. Its alot of fun to play around with.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   
this is interesting. wicked laser has 300mw hand held lasers

wicked laser spyder series

that's enough to do some series burning of your flesh.

i'll wait for the 1 watt lasers

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:41 PM
link   
I have a 2 watt green dpss on a keychain. if anybody wants info u2u me.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Lasers can be fun but never forget safety.

Do NOT look directly into laser with remaining good eye.

new topics

top topics

join