It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SVC Host?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 05:41 PM
link   
What is SVC Host, and where are there so many of them in my Running Processes? Why are some system, some user, some local?

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Nygdan,

"Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

www.neuber.com...

there is basically one for every service that you have running on your systme. best way to describe it is that it is the envelope to the dll (letter)

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
What is SVC Host, and where are there so many of them in my Running Processes? Why are some system, some user, some local?

svchost is also very commonly immitated by viruses

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Yup, the article makes it clear that welchia and others can mimic the process.

I think a better tool is Process Explorer though.

It is freeware instead of shareware, smaller, quicker, unzip and go, and no popups. Just right click on the process and select properties to get full disclosure.

Mark has some cool tools.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Brilliant, thanks guys!

top topics

join