It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. & Puerto Rico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Hello Friend:
The White House is starting to work
with the political future of Puerto Rico.
At this time Puerto Rico is a U.S. "territory"
a "comonwealth" but not a state. This has
been like this for the last 107 yrs. Puerto Rico
is the last "territorial colony" .
What do you guys think is going to happen? Is Puerto
Rico ever going to be a state??

For more info and how the Cia sees Puerto Rico go to:
www.odci.gov...

[edit on 1/19/2006 by warriorwolfpr]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The UN status of Puerto Rico is as a "dependent" territory. Meaning they are partially dependent on the US for their countries survival. I wouldnt mind personally if they became a state, its a beautiful place. But like any other place opinions differ, there are those who want statehood, and those who want their own country. They recieve citizenship of the US, they elect their own leaders, and vote on their political status with the US.
As for becoming a state, that is up to the people of Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I don't think they should become a state, I like round numbers, and 51 stands out
Seriously, I think we should just let them go so they can become an independent nation.

[edit on 19-1-2006 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind seeing Puerto Rico become a state in the U.S. at all. Great place, nice people.
Puerto Rico would provide the U.S. with an Atlantic base of operations for its U.S. Navy, just as Hawaii serves as a Pacific base of operations. Very useful!

However, the decision to become a state in the U.S. or an indepdendent country is up to the people of Puerto Rico, and they shouldn't be rushed to judgement. If for no other reason, than because once you join the U.S. as a state, you can't un-join! The Civil War settled that issue. Becoming a state in the U.S. is like joining the mafia -- once you're in, you're in; you can't get out.
So, let the Puerto Ricans take their time, and think it over!

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   
It would be great if they became a state. Then they would have to pay taxes before they collect welfare, SSI benefits and I believe that PR citizens have the right to vote.

I believe the last time this came to vote the citenzenry of Puerto Rico voted it down.

new topics

top topics

join