It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we going towards a Younger Dryas ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I would like to recommend the lecture of an extremely interesting unclassified report from the Pentagon written by Andrew Marshall. I am sure most of you have surely read it already or listened about it. In my opinion, according to the current facts, it is worth talking about it nowadays.

Here are some lines you can read:

Fresh water from meltering glaciers flows into the Northern Atlantic, lowering the water´s salinity... As result, the Conveyor loses its main motive force and can rapidly collapse, turning off the huge heat pump and altering the climate over much of the Northern Hemisphere.

A total shutdown of the ocean conveyor might lead to a big chill like the Younger Dryas, when icebergs appeared as far south as the coast of Portugal. Or the conveyor might only temporarily slow down, potentially causing an era like the "Little Ice Age," a time of hard winters, violent storms, and droughts between 1300 and 1850. That period's weather extremes caused horrific famines, but it was mild compared with the Younger Dryas.
etc.

Source, please, use the link to read the full report

What I have read with more detail is Marshall´s report.
Based on data, research, experience, etc. the Pentagon has been very clear with regard to one of the possibilities of climate changing that we may have in the nearby future.
What we obviously cannot deny is that the global climate is changing. No idea if a Younger Dryas will start but I am sure all these "strange" weathers we are having everywhere, starts worrying you.

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Ptolomeo]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm not sure the current collapse alone is enough to cause something like the Younger Dryas. Unless perhaps it is a massive current failure that takes centuries to restart.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Firstly, the Younger Dryas wasn't caused by the gradual melting of an ice sheet, it was caused by the sudden and catastrophic release of thousands of square miles of water into the North Atlantic from Glacial Lake Agassiz.

Secondly, at the time there were still large glaciers across N America and Europe and this had an impact on how the climate responded.

A better comparison would be the 8.2kya event - the final release of water from Agassiz. By then the ice sheets had gone. There was a globally cold event, but nothing like the Younger Dryas (which is why you've probably never even heard of it
) - and thouigh climate patterns changed for around 200 years there is no evidence of any freeze up in Europe or N America.

posted on Jan, 31 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Thank you for your answers.

I am still not very sure of what we are going to face in the future, but the fact that changes are coming is a reality...

I have to think about it and study the range of possibilities.

[edit on 31-1-2006 by Ptolomeo]

new topics

top topics

join