It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flashing satalite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Hey all
Last night, I was in the spa, and I saw a satalite go over. It was about midnight, and a satalite at midnight must be very high up.
Yet, the Satalite was flashing, and it was fairly bright also.
Could the be a tumbling rocket booster, or something else?
I live in Melbourne Australia BTW

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I've seen that happen before, where satellites seem to be fading in and out. It's really neat to see! I donno what it could have been though as for what kind.

I'm sure it wasn't an Iridium flare though, since those are usually right after Sunset or right before Sunrise.

E_T

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Quite many satellites have big even (highly reflective) surfaces and they rotate so it's natural that every once in a while you'll see satellite which "flashes" when it reflects sunlight to your direction in certain point of its rotation.

And even if it doesn't really rotate it continuously changes position compared to where you and sun are.

I could propably see that in very short time after going outside... although before that I would have to empty wardrobe because it's nice -27°C (-17°F) outside.

[edit on 19-1-2006 by E_T]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It was flashing like the white light on a airplane.

I'm a 100% shore it wasn't an airplane though

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Parts of the Pluto launch from yesterday?
Not sure where it would have passed, but maybe?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Nope, I observed it before thr launch

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Was it in a very southerly direction? Like almost due south?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:29 PM
link   
for one of my favorite astronomy-related sites. Heavens Above shows an Iridium Flare in the Melbourne area just before midnight. Although the altitude seems too low to match up with "passing over". So I'll keep looking.

Edit : Maybe the Resurs 1-4 rocket body. Assuming I have the date right, here is a star chart of the rocket at 00:13:50.

[edit on 1/20/2006 by eaglewingz]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I track satellites and space junk for a living, I work with optical telescopes. The way it works is, the telescopes only sees light reflected off the object, not the actual object, and the computer figures out what it is, based on how the light (the sun) is reflected off it. So, you could see a silver wrench floating in space, but not a semi truck painted black (well, optical sites anyway). We only operate at night, and can only see certain objects, based on it's sun angle.

My point being, satellites are made to be pretty darn reflective!

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Wow, you've got a spa with a glass roof?

I'm also from Melbourne and saw this a couple of nights ago.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Yes. it was heading almost exactly south.

I have a glass roof now?

It might of been a Iridiam Flare, only Don't they only Flash once? Cause this thing flashed all the way accross the sky

E_T

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by JimmyCarterIsSmarter
It might of been a Iridiam Flare, only Don't they only Flash once?
Iridium flares are just what name says, those don't flash, it's just one time brightening which lasts few seconds.

top topics

join