It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Tomcats

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Not wishing to get embroiled in one of those "We're gonna kick Iran's ass" threads, I was just wondering if the F-14s that the Iranians were supplied with back in the '70s are still in any sort of operational condition.
(I did a search, but couldn't find any previous references)

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Few threads on ATS..
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe there are more..

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Here ya go:

forum.keypublishing.co.uk...

Opinion on here would seem to indicate the aircraft are serviceable, however, doubt remains over the phoenix missiles.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Thanks guys - I guess I've still got to figure out how to use the search feature properly!

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I didn't notice there was a search feature until you said

I guess I should be more observant!

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Its mad to see the F-14 Tomcat in Iranian colours. The exportation of the Tomcat was cancelled by politics rather than money. I think its becouse the Tomcat is so good that the US wanted to be its only user. Iran back in the 1970s were allies with us then until some revolution that occured later.

Shame it wernt exported but its sometimes more special that way
Lucky Iranians!!!!!!!!!!!

I have seen some F-14 'What If' models in foreign colours

www.aircraftresourcecenter.com...

My dream came true, Ive always wanted to see an F-14 in German Air Force colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.aerospaceweb.org...

THE F-14 TOMCAT IS A TRUE LEGEND, THERE WILL BE NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Browno]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno
Its mad to see the F-14 Tomcat in Iranian colours. The exportation of the Tomcat was cancelled by politics rather than money. I think its becouse the Tomcat is so good that the US wanted to be its only user. Iran back in the 1970s were allies with us then until some revolution that occured later.

My dream came true, Ive always wanted to see an F-14 in German Air Force colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.aerospaceweb.org...

THE F-14 TOMCAT IS A TRUE LEGEND, THERE WILL BE NOTHING ELSE LIKE IT

[edit on 19-1-2006 by Browno]

Been posted before here is the F-14 Tomcat in Soviet air force

Note Mig-29 in background

Also found this Captured planes Website

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:47 PM
link   
They've always been good about finding the means of keeping them flying. Their aircraft are still quite serviceable, though there are fewer of them now, and they are the much older A models.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
May I slightly change the subject and enquire if anyone has any knowledge on how the Iranians have used tech from the tomcat to further their own defense projects if they have attall, I am aware that the Iranians integrated Hawk missiles to the tomcat with varyin degrees of success, but wondered if any tomcat systems had been integrated to Iranian projects? please forgive me if this is not the place to ask such a question but it is my first post, thankyou.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
May I slightly change the subject and enquire if anyone has any knowledge on how the Iranians have used tech from the tomcat to further their own defense projects if they have attall, I am aware that the Iranians integrated Hawk missiles to the tomcat with varyin degrees of success, but wondered if any tomcat systems had been integrated to Iranian projects? please forgive me if this is not the place to ask such a question but it is my first post, thankyou.

Good Q...

I would suspect they have looked at the engines in detail, avionics I'm not so sure about as:

- I don't have a clue about electronics, are they easy to reverse engineer?
- Are source codes needed?

The Iranians are supposed to be developing another fighter based on a MiG design (well, a foreign design anyway, not sure if its MiG), I'd guess lessons from the F-14 maintenance effort have been incorporated.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Popeye

Note Mig-29 in background

Its a MiG 25 in the background, but great pic, haven't seen it before

[edit on 19-1-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Id heard that the new(or at least one of the new) Iranian fighter the Azarakhsh was/is based on the Grumman f-5 airframe I believe that the Iranians purchased this aircraft under the shah so it does look like they are taking what they can from previous designs and improving on it ,I cant find any referances to tomcat influenced design or "backward engineering" but I would guess your right kilcoo316 I cant imagine that they wont have learnt any thing after all these years, maybe some kind of awac type project is most likely. and I agree exellent pic

[edit on 19-1-2006 by buckaroo]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I have no data to back this up, but I suspect attempting to reverse engineer ANYTHING from an F-14 would be like looking at a Ferrari and trying to build a car. Electronics are not easily reverse engineered, and far better electronics are widely available today anyhow. Certain parts of the airframe are so sophisticated there are only a few places in the world they can be built. (Wing box for example)

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Browno

The export wasnt cancelled, all 80 planes that were ordered were also delivered (one stayed in the US as a testbed for modifications). Not all of the ordered Phoenix´ missiles were delivered, but the order was cut from the Iranian side. If the US really would have wanted to keep the F-14 to their own they subsequently wouldnt have sold it to Iran either. Its a simple truth that noone else WANTED the F-14 : far too large, overly expensive, very limited versatility, much dead weight because of the carrier optimization. After all it is mainly a carrying rig for the then-excellent radar and the Phoenix missiles, specifically designed to protect the Carrier groups.

This was also an economical, but not an economic deal by the US. The US funded large amounts of the Iranian armament programs as a forward stronghold against soviet aspirations, in turn the money was spent specifically on Grumman so as not to let the F-14 production line die down.

My dream came true, Ive always wanted to see an F-14 in German Air Force colours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

The Luftwaffe colours are plain grey or a light grey/blue camo. Only the dedicated ground strike planes like Tornado IDS had a darkolive/muddy black camo. That camo would be pretty useless for a forward interceptor like the F-14

But nice that you dream of the german Luftwaffe

[edit on 20/1/2006 by Lonestar24]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The F14 is actually quite a decent bomber. Bombcats outperformed F/A 18's in tests.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Is that any suprise? One, it was part of the original design, but cancelled because the Navy wanted fighters, not bombers. Two, You've got a big, stable platform with lots of extra capacity to bring along better fire control systems.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The Tomcats may be old, but do not forget that the Rusians have real nice AAM's that would fit well under the Tom's wings. I also suspect that either Iran or either Russia has all the spare parts it would need for their program.

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
There's a pretty good source called ACIG you can google pretty easily.

They seem like a pretty unbiased, well researched group.

One of the books available on their website is about the Iranian Tomcats, history and current status. I believe the author actually went to Iran for research, and he had many good recent photos of such.

Apparently they serve AWACS duty now, which isn't too surprising considering their age.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:57 AM
link   
If i ever get rich i want to get myself a F14.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by buckaroo
May I slightly change the subject and enquire if anyone has any knowledge on how the Iranians have used tech from the tomcat to further their own defence projects if they have attall, I am aware that the Iranians integrated Hawk missiles to the tomcat with varyin degrees of success, but wondered if any tomcat systems had been integrated to Iranian projects? please forgive me if this is not the place to ask such a question but it is my first post, thankyou.

When the revolution began, A Grumman team was stationed in Iran, they got orders to steal crucial parts from the F14's. The successfully removed vital parts of the aircraft specially the avionics systems (although what exactly they took is not known) the fat is that the Iranians reversed engineered some parts so the plane could fly again although having a limited role as an AWACS and not so much as a fighter mainly because of some critical parts stolen by the Grumman crew.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join