It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BAE Farnborough - Possible Unknown Aircraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Hi,

Please check out this, I probrably posted in the wrong forum.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's a google earth shot of what look suspiciously like a B2 shaped model or UAV.

Cheers

Robbie

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Interesting pic, but I don't reall ythink it looks B-2 shaped. What it reminds me of most is the Armstrong Whitworth AW.52G, this was a small two seat flying wing glider built in the 1950's as a testbed for the bigger jet engined AW.52, This was itself a scale testbed for a much bigger planned programme to build a flying wing airliner similar in concept to todays BWB designs.

There are enough differences to tell me that it isn't the AW.52G as illustrated here but maybe it is something similar or maybe even if it still exists it was modified somehow?

Just how small the AW 52G was can be gleaned from the ground shot.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:14 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
It couldn't be one of those paraglyders could it? With the small engine? I can't remember the name of them.

The wing shape is similar to a paraglyder..but that blue thing that looks like it was covering it may suggest something secret.

I posted this on the other thread!!
oops..

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Playgarth, it clearly isn't the Corax as that has a straight wing where the item in question is swept.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Don't forget the G Earth images are several years old in some cases so it could easily be an earlier incarnation. The article also stated that alternative wings could be attached, so again, this could be that. As it's Britains first UAV I can't see it being anything else.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:50 PM
link   
looking at the image again - if you turn it so you're facing south, you can make out a fuselage of sorts under the blue tarp. The wing appears to be off this, so perhaps it's something totally different.

[edit on 19-1-2006 by phaygarth]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
You know, this time you are spot on, I rotated the image as you said and I immediately saw what it was. Its a HS 125!

The fuselage is partially under the tarp and the wing set is just to the side. I never noticed it at first but when you rotate the image it is obvious. The wing trailing edge fooled me as well because it appears to be kinked but once you have the image the other way up you can see that this is just a shadow.

Also visible are the rear mounted engines and prominent dorsal fillet on top of the fuselage at the base of the fin (under the tarp)

Here's one that works;

[edit on 19-1-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Re the Corax (Latin for Raven), of course it isn’t the UK’s first UAV.

Anyway, Waynos, close mate, but no banana. Note the tail details –looks like the tailplane is top mounted in a faring which extends forward of the fin’s leading edge. My bet would be a BAC 111. Looks far too small to be a VC10 and engines don’t look right.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Re the Corax (Latin for Raven), of course it isn’t the UK’s first UAV.

Anyway, Waynos, close mate, but no banana. Note the tail details –looks like the tailplane is top mounted in a faring which extends forward of the fin’s leading edge. My bet would be a BAC 111. Looks far too small to be a VC10 and engines don’t look right.

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hmmm, think your mistaken planeman. Have you seen the original shot rather than my screen grab? On the full shot you can see nearby cars and using them for scale this is far too small to be a BAC One Eleven (which can seat up to 100 passengers remember), it is, however, exactly the tight size for an HS 125. Also, the tip of the fin could have been removed, just like the wings have. The final clincher for me is the huge dorsal fillet that the 125 has (that the One Eleven does not) If you look at the tarp on top of the fuselage ahead of the fin you can see the fillet distorting it, the bulge just happens to end in exactly the same place as the 125 fin fillet ends. This is emphasised by the tarp being seemingly streched over this fillet and attached to the ground.

[edit on 22-1-2006 by waynos]

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Lol, just seen the zoomed out shot – yep, a BAC 111 that’s been through the wash with my socks.

Agreed HS 125 is most likely candidate. I eat my words. The fuselage length to wingspan ratio also looks right:

new topics

top topics

join