It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel problem

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
No, you do exist. Your that dude over there that's going really slow. You've just minimized your impact on the present events, started aging really slowly or not at all until you arrive at the time you want. You just can't go back cuz there ain't no going back and what's changed is changed. There are no magical alternate parallel universes with an infinite number of outcomes or any wacky crap like that. No time paradoxes because you can't go back in time and kill your gramps. Going back in time is bunk

posted on Jan, 26 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
to quote a great man:
"I know nothings"
Manwell the butler.
Faulty towers

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Time travel is imposible said einstein...BUT tachions are particles that have no mass and thus can move faster than light...meaning they can travel through time. The only problem lies in having a detector/constructor in the target time that translates the signal to matter...like a transporter or replicator in star trek. But if your team has found a natural superconductor, supernova or something that sounds good
...then the tachions resonate off the material/anomily and create a wormhole OR reconstruct the data/matter being sent...
I don't know...its an idea...

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
If you were moving at the speed of light, and you turned on your headlights, would it do anything?

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Well, yes, there would be photons trying to leave the electrons - but they'd be "stuck" so to speak.

You really want a wierdity? If you travel, or even near, the speed of light - your computers are going to go haywire, since signals travelling from the front to the back will go at normal speed, but signals from the back to the front will either take a long time, or won't get there at all! The computer freezes up, the engines shut down, and your ship is no longer going faster than light again! HA!

posted on Jan, 29 2006 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JPulham
Time travel is imposible said einstein...BUT tachions are particles that have no mass and thus can move faster than light...meaning they can travel through time. The only problem lies in having a detector/constructor in the target time that translates the signal to matter...like a transporter or replicator in star trek. But if your team has found a natural superconductor, supernova or something that sounds good
...then the tachions resonate off the material/anomily and create a wormhole OR reconstruct the data/matter being sent...
I don't know...its an idea...

He did? I thought that according to some solutions to some of his equasions that Time Travel is possible all you would have to do is travel faster then c. (C=Speed of Light)

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Michelson and Morley from Cleveland did an experiment using the Earths rotation and light going with it or at right angles to it. The results show that light is unaffected no matter if they traveled with or against Earths travel through space. (This is part of a debate on Ether or aether, some people claim the light was affected.)

Einstein, using his thought experiments, figured that when you shine a flahslight while in motion, to a third party observer the light will always be traveling at light speed. This lead to his theory of Special Relativity.

Einstein showd that time is relative, but the speed of light is fixed. The closer you get to the speed of light, the more time seems to stretch out; known as "time dilation." Time dilation is time travel. Einstein was the first person to prove that time travel was possible.

You would have to move at about 99.98% of light speed to really notice the time dilation. But on a teenie tiny scale it happens all the time, like flying with the spin of the Earth.

In the 9th or 10th grade my friend asked me the same question about the car headlights going at light speed. I dont remember my answer.. Lets see.. just thinking about the light - in the dimensions that we would be able to observe it, it would move at light speed or slower. Our flying car would be going exactly light speed.. to an observer the car and light were going the same speed, so the light wouldnt 'pass' up the car and the car wouldnt pass the light. So I guess it would look like a normal beam of light to an observer moving at our speed, but to another flying car moving at light speed the light would stay put. its all relative!

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 03:01 AM
link   
it's gotta be a lot easier than real life. there's a whole bunch of human footprints being found in millions of year old rock,so you may not be the first to time travel backwards if you do manage it. good luck.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 03:11 AM
link   
How about thinking of time as a river? In places it flows along and at other places its obstructed, causing whirlpools and such. Depending on the behavior of the current would depend on what time currents would move next to each other and are accessible.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Just wondering if you built a machine that travels through time but cannot move through space at the same time like the TARDIS in dr who then you would only be travelling to the point in space that you left from to that same point in another time.
Whats the prob --- well the Earth our Sun and such aren't stationary they move through space and the Earth also roatates on its axis. So this point in space 50yrs ago would probably be deep space. And i kinda like breathing air.

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The Earth is moving thru space at 1.3 million mph toward something called, "The Great Attractor".

So you go back in time 50 years and your half a trillion miles from your Earth.

A light year equals 5.86 trillion miles

mensa.ast.uct.ac.za...

cow.physics.wisc.edu...

posted on Jan, 30 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
good point bodebliss!

You'd have a real hard time going backwards or forwards through time if you didn't have a well calculated x/y coordinates worked out and all the random variable directions the planet get's pulled in by other celestial bodies and the orbit around the sun.
Time travel would be very difficult wit hthat in mind.

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by PinkRibbon06
You could have someone go back further than the invention... It is a time machine and it can take you to any time.. the problem with that is.. you wouldnt want to unless you had materials and knowledge of how to make another time machine to get you back. The time machine doesnt move through time w/ you right? So.. unless it literally went back in time w/ you, or you had materials and knowledge to build the time machine... you would be # our of luck in the time period before the machine.

I'm not so sure. In the movies The Time Machine and Back To The Future I, II, and III, the machines travel with them. In the Star Trek episode, The City On The Edge Of Forever the time machine creates a vortex through which the travellers jump. (very much like the TV show Sliders). Also, as I recall, in The Philidelphia Experiment, The Time Machine stayed in one place.

How about creating a naturally occuring Time incidence, as in The Final Countdown starring Martin Sheen, Katherine Ross, and Kirk Douglas as the commander of the Nimitz, which gets tossed back to Pearl Harbor hours prior to that infamous attack?

[edit on 8-2-2006 by Toelint]

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
Marianne Williamson wrote "God exists in eternity, the only point where time and eternity meet is the present, therefore the present is the only time there is."
That is not exactly my belief, but I had to change my time concept to account for things in my life that I could not reconcile with linear time.
So, here is my current definition. Time as a line is an abstract creation, and while it helps us in practical terms, it may not be the reality of the nature of time. I feel that the past, and the future do not exist as we picture them in the taught model. Instead, I see time as a moment, and all of time exists only in the moment, so the past, future, and present do not happen at another time, not up ahead or way back when, because now is all there is. Instantaneous, simultaneous, present tense time, containing all of time within it. I won't be upset if this is not logical to you, I only came up with it out of necessity, and linear time is much easier to imagine.
Still, prophecies and deja vu are, in my mind, real phenomena which linear time does not accomodate. Not for me anyway. So, if some variation on that theme helps your book, I will be happy. If not, no worries.

Perfectly stated!

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
If it hasn't been mentioned, dean koontz' book "lightning" has a great time travel plot, very complex with people going back and forth, and all of the implications that causes.

his book only covers about 50 years, and one of his rules is you can't be in two places at once, so the jumps have to be carefully plotted and timed to avoid the paradox problems.

good luck !

posted on Feb, 8 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
that you started out in. travelling forwards in time also sends the traveller into an alternate universe , the very act of time travelling causes this. this is my theory, it is well demonstrated in the movie donnie darko. you guys should smoke the white powder like i do.. . .subjective time travel and dimension jumping become easy

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
Time is how we measure movement of the planets, stars and celestial bodies in relation to each other. Remove the rotating solar system...do we still have time? ....and why do we measure time as linear, when it is cyclical. Everything around us moves in a Cycle, yet we measure time as if it has a beginning and end, it does not.
The Mayans understood Time in a way western science in just starting to comprehend, they traveled through time itself.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 04:41 PM
link   
No time is created as we ourselves are born live and die!It's a side effect of life to care about time. Time was not created before mankind made it!
Therefore we measure it with something, the fact that the planets all move in a circle around a main sun is no matter on time but has been used. Truly if time was linear or cyclical though it would be hard enough to grasp all the complexities and issues of true time travel.

posted on Apr, 16 2006 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Maybe s ome of this research of of google scholar can be inspiring.

There is one link where it states about these two magnetic rings around earths equator. A good distance from earth in space there's a lot of magnetic storms during inner planetary magma movement.

Maybe this energy can be harnessed for time travel.
lunar affect on gethermal currents

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
What would happen if you could travel back in time beyond the point where the "big bang" started.. Also, what would happen if you go into the future and the planet was destroyed by a collision of some very big object? There would be nothing to appear on.. And would you appear at the same spot you went away from or in some other dimension/part of the universe? I dont think humans will be able to travel in time, let alone control it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join