It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Putin follows Bush's stance on Kyoto treaty

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 07:51 AM
link   
It looks like Bush isnt the only one to ignore the Kyoto treaty.

www.theage.com.au... m=storyrhs

Opening a conference on climate change in Moscow on Monday, Mr Putin said Russia's decision would be in its "national interests", reflecting a debate in the country that some warming might be of benefit by allowing more grain to be grown. "There is an insistent call for Russia to ratify the Kyoto protocol as soon as possible. The Government is closely studying this question. A decision will be taken when this work is finished," he said.

If Russia doesnt help ratify this, the Kyoto treaty might be dead in the water. Is this an effort on Putin's part to help his country or to just cement ties with Bush?

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Mr Putin said Russia's decision would be in its "national interests"

Isn't that what presidents are supposed to do?

I really doubt Putin has any reason to kiss up to Bush.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think Putin is making a poor environmental impact decision similar to the US on the grounds of not stymying vital industrial development and oil-based stuff. Ties with Bush only remotely enter the picture in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 08:51 AM
link   
pooty poot may be trying to play bush's poker game, and he's doing it quite well. remember the friendship so masturbated over by the media not too long ago? they had nicknames for each other, for cripes sake. and no, it wasnt "the red" and "the cowboy".

it's more likely that putin may also be trying to boost russian economical prowess. the russian economic system is almost completely profit-dependent on its oil revenues, something that the kyoto protocol targets as an environmental enemy. and rightly so, obviously.

two countries with possession or control of the most oil in the world not ratifying the Kyoto agreement? well, gee, what do you want... an "i'm sorry" card from bush with a picture of the plane crashing into WTC with oil rigs rising over the skyline, perhaps?

well me too, but i dont think i'll ever see one of those

top topics

join