It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorists following Ronald Reagan's example?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   
There has been some suggestion recently that terrorists are attempting to do to America what America did to Russia- force them to spend themselves into economic collapse. It's an interesting idea, and I'm curious what everyone where thinks about the plausibility of it.

Personally, I believe that analysis (which has even managed a bit of airtime on FNC today) is flawed for one key reason: Deterrence.
Russia's defense spending never gave them any kind of progress towards victory because they couldn't use it against us- we had nukes.

America is waging the war on terror in a fiscally irresponsible manner, and not getting nearly the progress per dollar that we citizens should demand- that much is true. However, unlike the USSR, I we are actually spending that money on offensive operations, not just preparation, and therefore the economic pressure cannot continue indefinately (unless of course we persist with ineffective strategies, thus failing to make progress).

So short answer- I think the analysis I've been seeing of this possibility on FNC is flawed. It suggests that it's a fool proof strategy when it's not, thus avoiding the issue that re-evaluating our methods in Iraq and elsewhere (not to the exclusion of force- don't get me wrong) is vital to defeating Al Qaida.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
There has been some suggestion recently that terrorists are attempting to do to America what America did to Russia- force them to spend themselves into economic collapse. It's an interesting idea, and I'm curious what everyone where thinks about the plausibility of it.

The Al-Qaeda that has been fed us, via the esteemed mainstream media is way overblown.
- To begin with...

Not to mention very mythical.

Because of our constitution, terrorists cannot do that to us; only we can. This administration's certainly doing a bang-up job of it.

National Bankruptcy here we come.

Just my 2 cent$.

[edit on 1/18/06 by EastCoastKid]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:11 PM
link   
It's a fine strategy to use when you're small and your enemy is exceedingly large. UBL has stated as much, explicitly, hasn't he? It's really the only feasible strategy if you think about it. The cost to train a soldier is high, and the cost of a bullet or bomb is low. The math does not work in our favor over the long term (without even considering expensive tech like choppers getting knocked down by SAMs, or $100k trucks evaporating in the face of a low-cost IED).

Of course their strategy relies on their abiliity to maintain the pressure indefinitely. There's no telling how long it could take for their strategy to pay off. It's conceivable that America could languish there for decades or even generations before it lost so much 'blood' it had to retreat.

The American economy IS looking pretty unstable, considering the ongoing problems with unemployment, the prospect of inflation, market issues, foreign energy policy shifts and of course the ongoing decay of infrastructure which has gone relatively un-noticed so far.

Still, I get the sense we'll withdraw from the conflict before it consumes us. It will be something else that puts the final nail in, IMO. Maybe environmental devestation, or a pandemic, something on a larger scale.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
It's a fine strategy to use when you're small and your enemy is exceedingly large.

This is not Osama bin Laden strategy. This is Problem/Reaction/Solution.

The Problem Reaction Solution Paradigm - Why 911 Happened
www.indexoftheweb.com...

UBL has stated as much, explicitly, hasn't he?

How do we really know what OBL said, or says? Do you or I speak Arabic? I know I don't. I can only trust interpreters and editors.

Of course their strategy relies on their abiliity to maintain the pressure indefinitely. There's no telling how long it could take for their strategy to pay off. It's conceivable that America could languish there for decades

Pressure? Indefinitely? There, where?

This whole WoT is insane.

Still, I get the sense we'll withdraw from the conflict before it consumes us. It will be something else that puts the final nail in, IMO. Maybe environmental devestation, or a pandemic, something on a larger scale.

With BushCo. in charge, I doubt it. We will do ourselves in.

new topics

top topics

join