It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bermuda Triangle Discussion

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

Originally posted by cliff
i have studied about this phenomenon of pole wander, data seems to show that the continents wander and not the poles.

I recall that too. Can you summarize an explanation of how the continents come to wander? I would be grateful

Also, straight cause and effect never really explains systemic stuff anyway. Do you have anything more related to systems theory?

Thanks - sofi

the earths surface consists of plates. some margins of these plates are convergent margins ie subduction zones where one plate slides under the other. the other margins are divergent margins where new crust is formed. therefore the continents move toward the convergent margins.
eg: the indian plate is sliding under the eurasian plate.

some links: ( just google for continental drift or pole wander!!)

ijolite.geology.uiuc.edu...
www.uwgb.edu...
www.earth.rochester.edu...
epswww.unm.edu...
kids.earth.nasa.gov...
www.ucmp.berkeley.edu...
www.hartrao.ac.za...
www.oceansonline.com...
www.yale.edu...

[edit on 27-1-2006 by cliff]

posted on Jan, 27 2006 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Erm. Yeah. Da plates move.

I meant something more directly related to the pole wander hypothesis and maybe a bit more catastrophic. Like what factors might combine to catalyze sufficient movement to make it appear that the poles have moved.

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I heard recently that there is nothing special about the Bermuda Triangle. Apparently it is an area with a lot of air traffic thus causing an higher instance of accidents, but the proportion of accidents to flights is comparable to many other areas throughout the world. I think I also heard that it also is subject to weather not condjucive (sp.) to safe flying a higher percentage of time than other others which does not help. I was interested in the Bermuda Triangle too until I heard this.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:45 AM
link   
The Bermuda Triangle has always been a mystery hasn't it

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join