It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bermuda Triangle Discussion

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:52 PM
link   
This thread is for theories on the Bermuda Triangle.

I hope you will share your ideas to create a long and interesting discussion

Mod Edit: All Caps Title – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 18/1/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Gas pockets. I think that's what everyone agrees on now?

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Not everyone believes that, and thats why I posted this thread.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I've seen too much evidence for Methane to not believe it. There are one or two mysteries still there, but the Methane theory is too strongly proven in imo.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Gas doesn't explain the missing airplanes though.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
On the contrary. Mix methane and oxygen, and fly through it and you lose power. Less oxygen means less power, so the methane will cause a significant power loss.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I spend a lot of time in the Florida Keys on the Atlantic side in the "triangle" and have never personally experienced anything but sitting around the bar talking to local fishing guides; there is "high strangness" there, that methane cannot explain. Time distortion being one of them.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
Gas doesn't explain the missing airplanes though.

There is a show on the history channel I highly recommend that is about the bermuda triangle. I don't know the exact name of the program but it was on a few weeks ago at night. The show discusses the gas theories. one of the things that really made me think it's totally plausible is how they used a real airliner flight simulator and simulated flying thru a huge methane cloud and it wasn't pretty. Not only do the engines loose power, but the wings can create enough lift in methane
In the same show they simulated gas bubbles on ships in a naval architecture test tank and showed how a big enough bubble can sink a ship.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I've read a lot of theories about the Bermuda Triangle; methane gas bubbles, high-traffic, disturbed magnetic field, government conspiracies, aliens, yeahhh . . .

I dunno what to believe. I have never looked in depth at a lot of these, so I can't really make a decision. I'd probably go with the methane gas, huge pockets of it trapped just underneath the oceans bottom, ready to be released at the slightest tremor or disturbance, coupled with extremely high-traffic, one of the most frequented places on earth by shipping traffic.

But then I think about what happened back in WWII, where a whole flight of aircraft jsut disappeared, followed by a flying boat rescue craft that would have been able to set down even on water. Apparently the rescue
planes compass's started acting up, before it went off the air, but I presume everyone here knows about this.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Well i believe i read somewhere, that in the world there are 3 electromagnetic triangular phenomenon. I saw a map of this this once but i cant seem to find it on google anymore.
Anywho, one was set over the bermuda triangle, one was in the pacific, and the other was in the indian ocean. I believe that this could explain the downed planes as it could of messed with their planes instruments.
Also ties in with the LOST serires, thats why i like the theory LoL

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The five Avengers got lost and ran out of fuel. The radio logs show that the flight lead didin't know where they were. The flyinb boat exploded. They were known for many accidents where that happened. They would leak fuel and build up vapor in the plane, and a crew member would light up while they were flying, or something would spark, and that's all she wrote. There were several reports from the search parties of hearing an explosion, and seeing a flash of light near where the flying boat was located at the time it went missing.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Perhaps. . . but does that explain the compasses? And where did you find the information on the Avengers? I find it highly unlikely that a USN pilot in charge of students would mistake south with east, when he had five separate compass's to guide him. But really, I claim to be no expert on this, and am only really defending the point because I brang it up.

-edit to rectify horribly embarrassing misquotation.

[edit on 19/1/2006 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Any large deposit of iron is going to screw up a magnetic compass. Just to nitpick, he wasn't AAF, he was USN.
Nuff said right there.
(Sorry Navy guys, I'm an AF brat, I had to.)

He was new to the area, and not familiar with the flight routes. All five had compass issues, as was heard over the radio. The leading theory is that he was heading back towards Florida, got disoriented, and turned around again. The reason they lost all five at once is because the way they flew then was if one went down, they all went down.

I've watched several shows talking about it, and at least three shows where they were out looking for them and thought they had figured out where they were, only to be wrong.

This might help clear up a few questions

www.history.navy.mil...

[edit on 1/19/2006 by Zaphod58]

[edit on 1/19/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I spend a lot of time in the Florida Keys on the Atlantic side in the "triangle" and have never personally experienced anything but sitting around the bar talking to local fishing guides; there is "high strangness" there, that methane cannot explain. Time distortion being one of them.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by whaaa]

that sounds pretty interesting, and I would love to hear more. Can you please share some of the local stories, and some examples of the "high strangeness" and time distortion you reffer to? thanks

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
On the contrary. Mix methane and oxygen, and fly through it and you lose power. Less oxygen means less power, so the methane will cause a significant power loss.

That would require A LOT of methane concentrated in one area. And that cant happen because methane disperses very quickly. Basically, the sea would have to open up and shoot out millions of cubic feet of methane just as the planes passed over. I also saw a story where two men in a plane experianced a time distortion where they ran through a cloud and what seemed like 10 minutes was actually twelve hours. Their clocks were even wrong. Explain that with methane
. Im not exactly defending anything, but Im just trying to keep you from ruining this thread. The point of it is to discuss theories, not kill them
. Please take yourcomments somewhere else.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Oh I'm sorry! And here I thought methane WAS a theory!! I didn't realize that we're only allowed to discuss aliens, timewarps, and other dimensions in this thread! My mistake, so sorry for attempting to put forth a MUNDANE theory!

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Thats a fine theory, I didnt put that down. But please don't make it seem like your whole purpose is to ruin other peoples' ideas.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
For those of you open minded enough to listen to the methane theory, I did a little research, and this is what happens when you fly through a methane cloud.

Methan is lighter than air, so when you enter the cloud, your intruments are suddenly registering air that's a lot lighter, so they show you suddenly going into a steep climb. You throttle down to slow the climb rate, and end up going into a dive, but your instruments still show you in a steep climb.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Zaphod that's exactly what the show about teh Triangle that I mentioned in my earlier post covered. they used a flight simulator and programmed a methane cloud into it to simulate what it would be like. Combine the inaccurate insturment readings with low visibility due to weather and you have a real problem even more so if inexpierenced. If you were flying at low altitude and ended up in the dive under reduced power due to inaccurate insurment readinds your really screwed

[edit on 19-1-2006 by warpboost]

posted on Jan, 21 2006 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The methane theory seems to be the one to go with, at least at present. It seems to explain many of the disappearances. Just goes to show that not all explanations are complicated. Notice however, that I said most, not all, the one that is the spookiest, at least to my mind is the Mary Celeste, back near the turn of the century. No crew, pristine condition, meals left uneaten at the table, like I said spooky. If I recall the story correctly, a salvage crew also disappeared from her decks as well, during the return to the east coast, but I could be misremembering. Still and all, a spooky story to say the least. If someone can venture a guess as to why a crew would abandon a very seaworthy vessel please do so.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join