It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Why I am getting out of the Marines article

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The "Why I am getting out of the Marines" article is an interesting read. It seems to be popular on the net, and anonymous, so therefore it may be just a fake.

See Google search

However if there is a grain of truth in it things are pretty scary in the way the military are stretched.

Interesting debate on the letter and its authenticity here

Here is the article, it didn't seem worth it to link to another site, and there is no "originating site" as far as I could see.

As I sit here I am still shaking. I can't take much more of this #. I am a Marine Pilot. Not that it means anything anymore. Today was another safety stand down put on by the mother #ers in DOSS. Why? Cause another one of my friends is dead and gone. Why? Cause he flew his # into the water that's why. Why'd he do that? Cause the mother #ers that "be" i.e. the boys at the top have lost their #ing minds and can't say no.
"Sir the aircraft are at 13% readiness, we don't have anything up."
"That's not my problem, we got a FRAG, get it done."
"Sir, none of our pilots are current to do this."
"Currency? Currency is for pussies. Just do some pattern work before you go, you'll be fine."
"Sir, the maintainers have been working non-stop 12 on 12 off for weeks now, we can't keep this pace up?
"Rest, Marines don't need rest, they are tough. Tell them to drink some coffee and get these planes up."
"Sir, I've been in the tube for the last 10 hours, the weather was #, and I haven't seen my wife in 2 weeks, can I work on this tomorrow?"
"No, I am going on leave Captain, I need that power point done by tomorrow, oh wait your on the schedule. Well, I guess you better get working."
"Sir I don't have the crew rest to fly this."
"Crew rest? What's crew rest. Your day doesn't start until the engines do, never mind that I had you in here this morning doing mindless bull#."

I hate you Marine Corps. I hate you. You push us and push us and ask us to do more. But there is no more. You can take your $18,000 dollar bonus and shove it up your ass! I am not staying. I am not flying this # anymore. I am not going to go and break the rules for you anymore. Iam not going to turn motors when I know the maint. log books aren't worth the paper they are written on. I am not doing your #ing log run in this weather when you can't even get me the bare minimum flight time to keep my skills up. I am not going to anymore safety stand downs about leadership and seatbelt use. I am not going to listen to another #ing Major who has lost his soul and cares more about the taste of his coffee in the morning than if his people had time to even eat chow today. I will not do this. I will not get another phone call about a friend of mine who is now dead, because you bend the rules to make mission, because you can't say NO to anyone.

We are broke damn it. We don't have the people, we don't have the parts. Hell, what kind of #ing military organization has the commanding officer tell his officers they need to go out and buy toilet paper for the head because we ran out? # this. I am out.

Berger, you were the best man, you shouldn't have died like that. Kerns, you were a funny dude. I am sorry I couldn’t see you buried, or have the courage to write your Mom and Dad about what nice guy you were. Murphy, why would you sign up for that #! Your kids will never get to know what an awesome guy you were.

I am in tears I am so frustrated. I wish you were still around, but I won't die like you. I won’t be some number on CNN's death 'o meter. I won’t contribute to this madness of telling the Wing we can do it when we are so far on our ass we can’t see the light of day. You Generals are #ing cowards. You know it’s broke, but you won’t say no will you. I did my part, and that's all I can do. # you Marine Corps. I am not the only one that feels this way. Let's see where your retention is when the planes are so broke dick nobody can fly them, no matter how many rules you break to keep them up. # You!

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Did you got the latest on the recruiting?

They have increased the age from 35 to 40 or 42 I am not sure.

Also the bonuses are getting incredible outrageous now up to 90 thousand dollars.

My husband is outrage by all this after serving 22 years and only gotten a couple of thousand dollars in his time as a marine.

We just got friend back from a year in Iraq, he was due to go back today but he was discovered to have some medical issues.

I will never post the things he has said is going on In Iraq because many will never believe it and it will be damaging to his identity.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Just more proof of what is really going on. Good article.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Don't fall for this one. Marines don't whine about toilet paper. Some Marines might get emotional about the death of a friend. This piece was supposedly written by a Marine Officer and as one of the members of the other website noted, it's barely intelligible. Actually, the piece seems to be written by a woman. I doubt a female Marine Officer would have a wife, a girlfriend, maybe, but not a wife.

Totally bogus.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I am sure they are not screaming about toilet paper Grady, is plenty of Black market going on.

Our boys sure knows how to keep themselves comfortable.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Hmmmm as much as I hate this (or any) war I find this a little bogus.

12 on 12 off for weeks? It is common for military to work 18+ hour days for months at a time. I know I did it, and I didn't have a problem getting enough rest. My regular working shift was 12 on 12 off 7 days a week, non-stop work on the flight deck, I did that for a year aboard ship, with maybe 2 months altogether of sporadic days off.
Nothing unusual there.

And since when are ground crews called 'maintainers'? Maybe a Marine term but seeing as Marines usualy use the same terms as the Navy I doubt it.
Maintence or ground crew but not 'maintainers', sounds like something a civilian would say.

[edit on 18/1/2006 by ANOK]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I am sure they are not screaming about toilet paper Grady, is plenty of Black market going on.

Whoever wrote this is whining about toilet paper.

Hell, what kind of...military organization has the commanding officer tell his officers they need to go out and buy toilet paper for the head because we ran out?

www.craigslist.org...

I also find it hard to believe that a male Marine Officer and a pilot at that would ever utter such words:

I am in tears I am so frustrated. I wish you were still around, but I won't die like you.

www.craigslist.org...

Like I said, totally bogus.

[edit on 2006/1/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
"I am in tears I am so frustrated. I wish you were still around, but I won't die like you."

Yeah I have a hard time believing a Marine pilot would say this also.
Maybe Airforce, but not Marines...LOL

If the guy is prone to tears he would have never made it through basic, let alone flight school.

Marines get angry not upset, sounds like a woman as you pointed out Grady. (wow we agree on something)

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I agree because toilet paper and other necessities is not the main problem in Iraq as now.

I know, the main problem with troops is a more worst one that many can imagine.

By the way believe it or not my husband friend could not wait to go back, he is actually upset of being held back.

If you are into war and other things that are not allow in the US, Iraq has become the best place for that.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:12 PM
link   

By the way believe it or not my husband friend could not wait to go back, he is actually upset of being held back.

Marge you should look up reenlistment rates among troops serving in Iraq, that should give you an idea of what those over there think about the war. By the way ANOK, catchy avatar

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Marge you should look up reenlistment rates among troops serving in Iraq, that should give you an idea of what those over there think about the war. By the way ANOK, catchy avatar

Oh, WestPoint I wish I can tell you what I know about Iraq and our military, but I cannot.

It's not what you think the reason for wanting to be in Iraq lately.

Like I said is worst things going on with our soldiers and Iraq that have nothing to do with been a patriot and wanting to fight "Terrorist".

Yes, I can tell you this much the situation in the Baghdad area from were our friend was station is very hard and dangerous.

Nothing has change in that regard.

But the things our soldiers are doing to survive will make you go in denial.

Sometimes we humans go to our basic instincts. If your are into it you will have not problems but is also those that can not live in situations like that and remind sane.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:43 PM
link   
No more than three pieces of toilet paper for you, darling! One up, one down, and one to polish!

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:22 AM
link   

I can't believe the macho b.s. that is being spouted in this post. "Oh, me too tough to cry! Ooga booga!" Puh-leeze! And to suggest that the original writer was a woman, and to use that as a derogatory remark, is simply disgusting.

If a marine can cry for a crappy president, I'm pretty sure he can cry over the death of his best friend.

[edit on 19-1-2006 by curme]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:37 AM
link   
It's not realy the act of crying, but the way it was worded.
Trust me I've seen miltary men cry, infact a whole ships company (5000 men) when 22 of our ship mates died in a ferry accident in Isreal. There was barely a dry eye for a week and the burial cermony, trust me lots of napkins were passed out.

But to write "I am in tears I'm so fustrated" from a Marine Core Pilot, and then the rest of the whining about toilet paper and stuff....Hmmmm just sounds bogus to me. What did he expect in war?

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Soldiers like to vent, ive heard similar rants from a couple of dozen different Soldiers in half a dozen different countries.
As the saying goes “It’s when a Soldier doesn’t complain .... That’s when you have to worry”
Does sound a bit bogus though, in my experience the US always has enough if not more than they need to get the job done.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 07:04 AM
link   
You people on the left do everything in your power to stifle recruiting and are the first ones to point out when recruiting is down.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:12 AM
link   
relax with the left/right drivel...its tiring

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I can't believe the macho b.s. that is being spouted in this post. "Oh, me too tough to cry!

You know nothing of Marines, curme. No one said that Marines don't cry. This one has. One of Chesty Puller's daughters said that at her father's funeral, she had never seen so many crying men.

The reason the post sounds like it is written by a woman is that women use about three times the toilet paper that men do and, from my experience, when there is no toilet paper in the head, Marines use an old copy of the "Stars and Stripes" and think nothing of it. In a litany of complaints, which all Marines have, this one wouldn't even be on a male Marine's radar screen.

And also, the wording sounds feminine rather than male. Male Marines just don't talk that way, except for the cursing, which is common to both sexes, sad to say. Furthermore, Marine Officers are universally far too educated to write in such a sloppy style.

The post is totally bogus.

[edit on 2006/1/19 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I tend to agree with ANOK, that some of the wording doesn't sound
as if it would come from a trained military man or woman.
I too was in Naval aviation, altough quite some time ago, and have been around a lot of Marine aviators and ground crew. I've heard Marines called all kinds of slang terms, but "maintainers' was never one of them.

Futher just the general tone of the letter doesn't ring true.
Naval/Marine aviators are the best trained pilots in the world. They have to be in order to carry out even the most routine flight operations from an aircraft carrier at sea. They are trained both physically and mentally to handle the high stress environment of onboard carrier operations.
Yes they are also human, but I find it hard to believe a true Marine
would whine about such things as lack of toilet paper.

In the Navy we had a saying " A bitching sailor is a happy sailor", because there are always things in the military (and civilian life too) to bitch about. I'm sure its the same with the Marines.
If the letter IS true than I think the Marines would be better off without this whinney jet-jockey.

By the way, before any of you liberals start flinging stuff my way, I am not defending the current actions of our country in Iraq. I feel that this war is more about the all mighty oil than it is about finding terrorists that may threaten our country with future attacks. But, as a Veteran, I support all our men and women who stand tall defending and serving our country
with Courage and Honor.

" Semper Fi Marine "

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   
First, if this is true, this guys needs to not be in the Marines and needs top go home and be a greeter at the local Wal-Mart. If he feels this way he is a hindrence to hte rest of his men that he is working and flying with. With the situation in Iraq the way it is and escalating, we need people who want to be there with no regret. That is the first thing that will get you or a buddy killed, hesitation and non beleive in the casue of why you are there.

I know many marines, had a cousin who fought in GW 1 and had a grandmother who was in Europe in WW2 with the Marines. A marine can cry, the same as any other man, but maybe this guy should have joined the peace corps. When a kid enlists in the Army or the guard, and is thrown in the # when trained as a cook or some such, I can feel empathy. However, a marine knows what he is in for when he goes in, first to land, first to die.

I say this letter is bogus, and sounds like it was written by Cindy Sheehan.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join