It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoJ Spends $1 Million Studying Prison Rape and Concludes it Never Happens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 01:44 PM
link   
This blew my mind. The DoJ commissioned a two year study on prison rape, and after spending about a million bucks, the author of the study concluded people don't get raped in prison. If you're not convinced, don't feel bad, neither is anyone else. Read on...

Linkage
Fleisher said he spent more than 700 hours interviewing 564 randomly chosen inmates at dozens of institutions across the country. He said he never met anyone who claimed to be a victim of sexual violence.

"Prison rape worldview doesn't interpret sexual pressure as coercion," he wrote. "Rather, sexual pressure ushers, guides or shepherds the process of sexual awakening."

The two-year study, commissioned by the U.S. Justice Department for $939,233, has come under withering attack from other experts. The department has not endorsed the study, saying Fleisher has yet to turn over his data for closer examination.

My money is on total and complete fraud, on the part of the author. This guy can't possibly expect people to take him seriously. Every convict, every prison guard, every common schlub on the street can tell you rape is a serious problem in American prisons. Evidence speaking to that fact has circulated for decades.

In related news, the DoJ has decided to spend another millions bucks to have Fleisher investigate the possible presence of water in the Atlantic ocean. Preliminary results indicate that there is no water in the Atlantic, and that swimmers who report getting wet are just awakening to their sexuality.

Here are some informative links that testify to the fact that this Fleisher fellow couldn't find stink on a monkey.

A Link

Another Link

Oh Boy, Oh Boy, a Link!
In the 1999 training manual of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, the agency acknowledged that, on average, "three out of 10 newly admitted offenders will be forcibly raped within 48 hours."

The Missing Link

Prison rape has become a hidden epidemic. Some�experts estimate that between 300,000 to 600,000 men and boys are victimized every year. Dr. Cindy Struckman-Johnson, who did a comprehensive study of the Nebraska prison system, found that 22 percent of male inmates acknowledged being pressured or forced into sex acts. A horrifying 25 percent of this group say they endured gang rapes, leading many inmates to enter into a "consensual" relationship with another inmate, who then protects him from far-worse gang rapes. Sexual assault and forced prostitution thus become a second form of punishment, especially for young offenders.

These gruesome statistics are all too personal for me. I've visited inmates in over 600 prisons and talked with many rape victims; I've seen fresh blood on cell floors where an attack had just occurred.

I'm done for now. This subject is nauseating.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:19 PM
link   
This is sickening allright. I'm suprised it didn't take more $$ to come up with those far-fetched conclusions. It must have cost quite a bit to pay prisoners to remain silent...
Unbelievable.

Sounds like disinformation to me. Moving this to the new Disinformation forum

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I tend to think that the incidence of rape is over-blown, as well. It happens, I'm sure, but I think the incidence of consensual sex is much higher. However, it does seem that the author puts the threshold of coercion for the conditions of rape much higher than the average feminist.

Regard:

Heriberto “Eddie” Seda waited 35 years to have his first romantic kiss. It happened last spring, when Eddie pressed his mouth through the three-inch-wide space between the prison bars and found fellow Attica inmate Synthia-China Blast, a preop male-to-female transsexual, No. 97A0308.

“It was weird, I thought he was going to eat my lips,” Synthia recalls. “I’d read a lot of books about serial killers, and I didn’t trust him, like he might bite my face off or something.” But instead, Eddie Seda, known as New York’s copycat Zodiac Killer, started shaking. “I felt like I was 11 and having my first kiss with a bowl of Jell-O, because he didn’t know how to kiss for nothing. He was a virgin,” adds Synthia, 29. Then she laughs. “Let’s just say he’s a pro now.”

Seda has been locked up since 1996 for killing three people and trying to kill five others. The only person who has ever visited him in the maximum-security prison is his mother, Gladys; and before his incarceration, he says, “I had no friends. I had nobody.” After seven years behind bars, he was lonely, he says, and couldn't help but be attracted to Synthia, with her tweezed eyebrows and her handmade dresses. He was so taken with her that he was willing to overlook the fact that she was a former drug dealer and Latin King gang member—the exact type of person he’d wanted to extirpate from his Brooklyn neighborhood.

newyorkmetro.com

[edit on 2006/1/18 by GradyPhilpott]

Cug

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

My money is on total and complete fraud, on the part of the author. This guy can't possibly expect people to take him seriously. Every convict, every prison guard, every common schlub on the street can tell you rape is a serious problem in American prisons. Evidence speaking to that fact has circulated for decades.

Frogive me for any stereotyping I'm about to do.

But he may not be a fraud, that might be what the 564 inmates told him. It seems to me that many inmates have a "Macho" thing going on for self protection. They would never admit to something that might make them seem weak in the eyes of people who have already shown they don't have a problem with murder, robbery, rape, etc...

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:45 AM
link   
to remain armed and keep the last bullet for yourself

d'uh wonder what you're gonna do witht he rest, lol

anyway, since they're actually spending money on whitewash, i'd assume they (anyone on power) are actively endorsing it and/or participating. 'hey, see that freshmeat? i wanna **** him, let's jail him for drug possesion' *retrieves dope*...

no?

posted on Mar, 3 2006 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I know 1 million dollars isn't a lot if you compare it to the other amounts of money that the DoJ spends, but why? Why did they chose something like this to do a study about. It seems to me that this is a waste of money. If they could've at least given that million to a program that might need an extra million.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:23 PM
link   
actually the money wasn't wasted. they have proved that this isn't the problem that everyone thought it was, and that prisons are pretty safe. the prison officials are doing a fine job.

bastards.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I, for one, want to see his data (note that the DOJ hasn't signed off on this) and the design of his experiment.

I am EXTREMELY suspicious of the wording of his statement,

"Prison rape worldview doesn't interpret sexual pressure as coercion," he wrote. "Rather, sexual pressure ushers, guides or shepherds the process of sexual awakening."

It sounds as though his own worldview excuses forced sex as "sexual awakening."

I suspect his study's going to be slammed very hard by academia... and from all directions, too.

posted on Mar, 7 2006 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I agree with Byrd.....
The researcher isn't finding all of the facts because as someone already stated the prisoners aren't going to admit to being raped.
They "have to" keep a macho image in order to not be raped more. Just because it happened doesn't mean they are going to admit it.
That would be like admitting you are weak and in prison that isn't a good thing.
o this is your ass
O this is your ass in prison
think about it.....

new topics

top topics

join