It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Why We Fight" by Eugene Jarecki, Opens Jan. 20

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:24 PM
link   
A new film that looks into the motivations behind modern warfare opens Friday, and it promises to be controversial. Motivated by President Dwight D. Eisenhower's 1961 farewell address, the film chronicles the rise of the Military-Industrial Complex to the national supremacy it enjoys today.

www.sonyclassics.com
WHY WE FIGHT, the new film by Eugene Jarecki which won the Grand Jury Prize at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival, is an unflinching look at the anatomy of the American war machine, weaving unforgettable personal stories with commentary by a “who’s who” of military and beltway insiders. Featuring John McCain, Gore Vidal, William Kristol, Chalmers Johnson, Richard Perle and others, WHY WE FIGHT launches a bipartisan inquiry into the workings of the military industrial complex and the rise of the American Empire.

Inspired by Dwight Eisenhower’s legendary farewell speech (in which he coined the phrase “military industrial complex”), filmmaker Jarecki (THE TRIALS OF HENRY KISSINGER) surveys the scorched landscape of a half-century’s military adventures, asking how – and telling why – a nation of, by, and for the people has become the savings-and-loan of a system whose survival depends on a state of constant war.

The film moves beyond the headlines of various American military operations to the deeper questions of why – why does America fight? What are the forces – political, economic, ideological – that drive us to fight against an ever-changing enemy?

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a must see for anyone interested in the 'other' motivations for war. Jarecki comments that, when asked, nearly everyone says we fight for freedom. That's all well and good. He has chosen to delve deeper into the motivations behind warfare, and his film is lauded as an even-handed look at what other forces cause us to go to war in the modern age. Eisenhower's farewell address is the logical starting place.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Icarus Rising]

[edit on 14-2-2006 by DJDOHBOY]

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I've just finished watching this documentary and its definatly the best documentary I've ever seen.
Would definatly recommend it, if you want to download it here is an torrent link;

Torrent Link

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 03:46 PM
link   
thanks for the link shire19!

torrenting right now, will probably get the dvd when i can

and props on the avatar!

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shire19
I've just finished watching this documentary and its definatly the best documentary I've ever seen.
Would definatly recommend it, if you want to download it here is an torrent link;

Torrent Link

This is another must see documentary. If you don't want to use the torrent link I have attached the google video link. Please watch.
Video

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I can understand where they are coming from, but I feel the view is just a tad too simplistic, and just doesn't take any other motives/reasons into account

posted on Oct, 15 2006 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Peyres
I can understand where they are coming from, but I feel the view is just a tad too simplistic, and just doesn't take any other motives/reasons into account

Well, you have obviously watched it. What other reasons/motives should the documentary have taken into account. You can't just wink like that and not say anything

posted on Oct, 16 2006 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I'll admit that during the middle half of the movie, there were contributers who put foward other motives for it. Some people really do think we should spread democracy. But towards the end of the film you could see what conclusion to the producers were keen on.

new topics

top topics

join