It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serial Rapist gets 60-day Sentence!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Judge Edward Cashman of Vermont has many people shaking their heads in wonder at the wisdom of handing a confessed serial rapist a 60-day sentence in order for him to start receiving counselling as soon as possible. Mark Hulett's victim is a six-year-old girl he has been sexually abusing for four years. Prosecutors are asking that the judge reconsider his ruling and impose the maximum 8 to 20 year sentence. Activists are calling for the judge to step down or be impeached.

www.judicialwatch.org
60-Day Sentence For Child Rapist May Get Judge Impeached

A Vermont judge known for being soft on crime went too far by issuing a 60-day sentence to a man who confessed to raping a 6-year-old girl repeatedly over four years and state legislators are finally calling for his impeachment. One state senator, Wendy Wilton, said in a television appearance that people believe the judge "has flipped his lid."

Even longtime politician friends of the Burlington district court judge, Edward Cashman, were outraged with the sentence with one state congressman accusing the judge of violating his constitutional oath of office as a judge.

The judge's explanation for the offensively light sentence is that the child rapist, 34-year-old Mark Hulett, could not receive sex offender treatment while in prison.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am among the outraged at this travesty of justice!

Why can't we put this animal away forever and concentrate our efforts on the little girl, the victim? What was this judge thinking when he made this ruling? It is completely unsupportable, imo, and must be overturned. This horrendous perpetrator invited a friend over to participate in the heinous acts he visited on this defenseless child, and the judge thinks 60 days and counselling is going to straighten him out?

The judge says, in defense of his ruling, that anger isn't going to solve anything. Maybe not, but hard time and solitary confinement is what this scumbag needs, imo, at the very least. Emasculation also comes to mind.

Let the little girl have the counselling and the benefits of the system, she is really the one who needs it.

Related News Links:
www.foxnews.com
msnbc.msn.com

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This is truly disgusting I agree with you wholeheartedly

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:59 AM
link   
This story has been recently covered on ATS, and it was eventually moved to BTS, FYI.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thanks. I tried to run it on ATSNN, and it ended up here within a minute. To me this is news that deserves a lot of attention, and isn't getting it.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Oh my god! Not just serial rape, but serial statutory rape. This is an absolute outrage! WTF?

I think going light on this crime would have been more like 6 years..

How does this judge sleep at night? I know our justice systems aren't perfect, but this is absolutely incompetent.

[edit on 19-1-2006 by ekul08]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
But don't you KNOW? If he goes to jail for a long time he can't get treatment!! I mean JEEZ! You want him to get treatment right?! [/sarcasm]

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
But don't you KNOW? If he goes to jail for a long time he can't get treatment!! I mean JEEZ! You want him to get treatment right?! [/sarcasm]

the only treatment he needs is a bullet put into his head, in my opinion

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Hmmm a woman gets 9 years for trying to rip off a fast food joint (finger/chilly), and a rapist gets 60 days!

Just goes to show how our justice system is set up to protect the acumliation of wealth, not the safety of it's citizens.

You can rape and kill, but try to steal from us and you will pay!

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:49 AM
link   
In BC, Canada, where I live, we occasionally get rulings that are equally offensive. In one case a man was acquitted of molesting a 3 year old girl, after he was caught with his pants down. The judge gave as his reason that the girl was sexually aggressive. These kinds of judgements do not reflect well on the judiciary. It is like they are not outraged by these acts.
So, is this guy in Vermont? If so, where is he incarcerated? And if anyone wouldn't mind, could you let me know the place, time, and date of his release. Although it is a cross country journey for me, I might be interested in personally welcoming him back to the community. My bad.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

The bullet treatment proposal is tempting, it sounds like a good deterrent against re-offending, maybe even a 100% success rate. He'll never do that again.
But I would let him go to prison for a long time. If he wants treatment, I mean really does, he can get books, do the work himself, and get the treatment. If he doesnt really want treatment, no facility in the world is likely to help. doctor heal thyself.
I would almost bet money, that in that situation, he woulld not llift a finger to help himself.
So, back to the bullet option....
Seriously,. serial killers and serial rapists are very hard for me to be objective about.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:45 AM
link   
In the OT, Moses and Joshua, following the will of the Lord, set aside certain cities within the promised land for those that should be cast out for their transgressions, but not killed outright. for sure the OT law would have this guy impaled and stoned and piled high over with a stone cairn. These days, in light of NT justice, eternal banishment seems to fit the bill. In addition, emasculation for the scumbag does keep coming to mind.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Am I the only one to wonder about the 'outside interests' of these sorts of judges?

You hear of these sorts of judgements too often which kind of turns my stomach as these guys hear even what the jury doesn't, and they're usually the ugliest parts of the story, then hand down the sorts of sentences that ensure many will change their minds about pressing charges and going through the hell of a trial, for a few months, if they're lucky.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:08 AM
link   
No, you are not the only one to wonder. I go so far as to speculate there may be slimy underlying reasons why these things happen. Like the story I recently heard where a light sentence handed down to a pedophilic pervert who was caught with his pants down was justified by the judge on the basis that the judge found the three-year-old female victim's behavior to be sexually aggressive! How could any judge ever form an opinion that a three-year-old's behavior was partially to blame for a sexual assault!

Judges have blamed the victim for having provoked male rage and for not being obedient enough to male fantasies. Judge Peter Van der Hoop thought a three year old girl ''sexually aggressive".

www.rapereliefshelter.bc.ca...

This is alternately mind-boggling and stomach-turning to me.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Icarus Rising,
Help me out please.
I read your quote and went to the website that you linked. The reason that I did was that I was shocked and surprised by the quote.
Then I started to look for more information especially of the Judge Peter Van der Hoop's rulling and statement.
I could find nothing other than a second website that parroted www.rapereliefshelter.bc.ca...

I then searched for sexual aggressive 3 year old along with about a dozen variations but I came up dry.
Can you point me in the right direction to get more info?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I then searched for sexual aggressive 3 year old along with about a dozen variations but I came up dry.
Can you point me in the right direction to get more info?
The judgement was made in Vancouver BC Canada, it was, for obvious reasons, a huge story here, The radio station CKNW 980AM host, Peter Warren was very vocal, and called the judge, judge bonehead in his broadcasts. So you have a radiostation a name a city. It might have been 6,7 years ago..........not sure. But I hope that helps

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Awesome independent on the spot corroboration BlackGuardXIII!

When I saw where the story was from, and remembered your location from your avatar, believe it or not, I was hoping you could tell me more about it too!

Wow, that is the power of information networking at its best on display.

I still haven't found anything else on this story, other than I heard the first reference to this case on MSNBC or Fox the other night from a gal named Wendy (not sure of the last name, am looking for clip) speaking out on Scarborough Country or the O'Reilly Factor about the travesty of the Vermont case I started this thread on. Turns out I was wrong on the age of the victim in the Vermont case. The story is she was 6 when the abuse started and is 11 now. That just makes it seem worse to me.

I'll try to post a link if I can find one.

Thanks again

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Icarus Rising, it would be great if this thread inspired others to share their 'unjust justice' stories.

These are just two stories that received media attention but so often there is no reporting which should be worrying in itself as these sorts of judgements aren't that rare.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I'm casting about trying to come up with ways to spotlight these cases and build advocacy. Something has to give. I think there is a growing public awareness of an organized system, some kind of predatory subculture, behind the perversion of justice by these pedophilic sociopaths. I don't know if this judge or the second judge mentioned in the thread are aligned with this shadowy group, or whatever it is, but it certainly points to an attitude of growing indifference from the bench to child victims of sexual abuse that must be reversed pronto.

Personally, I don't like the way this Vermont judge looks any more than I like his ruling. The more I see of him and think about this case, the more I hope it spawns a full blown investigation into the child safety system and how we go about reforming it to protect our children instead of exposing them to the very dangers it is mandated to abate.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 02:21 PM
link   
This crap happens all the time. Sickening enit?

There is another thread on here somewhere about child molestation sentences in relation to trivial things like marijuana possesion. I forget where, I think PTS.

SAD is the only word I can conjure

posted on Jan, 24 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaFunk13
There is another thread on here somewhere about child molestation sentences in relation to trivial things like marijuana possesion. I forget where, I think PTS.

Exactly!

Here's my point; you people pissed off about the judge's ruling seem to be looking at one side here. If you're gonna give people 10, 20, even life in prison for dealing or having drugs that the govt ships in in the first place, why not give someone less time for a REAL crime? I KNOW people who are doing life in prison for dealing mass amounts.

Is that fair to y'all? Wait, here's an even better example. Y'all are pissed off that this child rapist got off light. Trust me, I hate pedophiles as much as the next person, but come on. Why are y'all calling for death for this guy, yet silent on Dyncorp, which is undeniably involved in the sex slave trade? That's right, they're involved in kidnapping kids, but I don't see Bill O Reilly exposing them on his show like he's doing the judge.

It's like Stalin said; 1 is a tragedy, 10,000 is a statistic...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join