It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pick 2 words that describe humans greatest problem

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Language!

and....

Ego!

Words are just symbols, so they are lies. Words are what make it easy to support wars, when the direct experience of it would really rattle some cages. Think about why monks take vows of silence. No trivialities, no nonsense.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Here's one word ...

religion

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Human nature

Probably been said, but there were too many posts to read.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
2 words:

Superiority Complex

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Very simple, and I think it encompasses all of it for me...

Douche Baggery

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Religion
Money

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Ego

Fear

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Pride

Fear

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
selfishness
AND......
Egotism

I was going to say the same two things you said .......

Selfishness and Egotism ...

I would add a third ...What Raustin said .
Human Nature

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I have to agree with Jungle Jake from the previous page:

'The Fall.'

Had something else in mind but those two words pretty much explain it all.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
IMO every problem in the world today leads back to one word... which has already been mentioned but I can't stress enough.

Selfishness.

Everything leads back to selfishness. Murder, theft, war, poverty, etc, etc, etc, all lead back, one way or another, to selfishness.

BTW, Hi Ashley!

[edit on 17-12-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

A big, 'Hello' to you, too.

Funnily enough, one of the words I was going to mention was 'selfishness' and the other would have been 'hate.' However, I still like Jake's answer better than my own. His would still have included my two according to my beliefs.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I see your point. Especially from your point of view. I still maintain that the root of all evil is selfishness. Even biblical terms, all I see is selfishness in one form or another. That's just me however, and thank you for returning the hello.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I'd have to say divisiveness and stubbornness.

I feel that things like religion or nationalism, while no doubt being progenitors of these qualities, are merely vehicles for it. A means to an end. I don't think the world would be much better without religion or nationalism(both of which have started more wars than I could count) because these tendencies would manifest themselves in some other way.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

I understand your point as well.
My 'almost' answers of hate and selfishness were chosen for a Biblical reason as well.

Jesus and the New Testament emphasize the greatest commandment as being love. Therefore, the opposite of that would be hate.

The Golden Rule in the New Testament of 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you' would be the denial of the self and ego because it requires placing others above ourselves. The human nature is 'me first' and selfishness would be the opposite of the Golden Rule.

So they are good answers, of course, but after seeing Jake's post, I couldn't help but agree that according to our Christian beliefs, his answer pretty much covers what is humanity's greatest problem.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
And the two words are [drum roll, please]: lust and greed. Thank you. [takes a bow].

Note: These two words appeared almost immediately after reading the title to this thread. Bye.

[edit on 2008-12-18 by pikypiky]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
i was going to say "self interest" but i see thats the general theme of the last 4 pages lol

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
" Pick 2 words that describe humans greatest problem "

Gullible

Lack Of Self Efficiency

[edit on 12/18/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Quite simple.
The most commonly used word in the "male" vocabulary is the "F" bomb.
The most commonly used word in the "female" vocabulary is "She/Her".

Add those together and you have HUGE problems.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: N/A

Personal Disclosure:Here are my TOP 10 two words that describe humans greatest problem:

1)unrelenting hubris
2)willful stupidity
3)unconditional hatred
4)lacking omniscience
5)being wrong
6)promoting ignorance
7)WE EXIST!
8)cherry cola, or failing that, Death (&) Taxes!
9)profound spitefulness
oh and I can't forget ...
10)Damned GRAVITY! :bnghd:

LOL!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join