It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Under Cold Grip.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Temperatures in Russia have taken a dramatic shift, with the weather forecast predicting temperatures to fall as low as -37C, being the coldest it has been in Russia since 1979.
An unexpected energy crisis has also gripped the country, at the same time as the country is experiencing problems with the weather. Schools had to be shut, large businesses were made to pledge to the government to ration their use of electricity from 3pm to 9pm, while they have a choice, and up to 400,000 people in Russia woke up to find that their cars would not start up. Up to 107 Muscovites have died because of the low temperatures since October.

www.guardian.co.uk
The schools are shut, traffic has ebbed and life has taken a more cautious pace over the sheet ice. There is little you can do but shuffle on, tape up your windows and buy a thicker hat. Temperatures in Moscow yesterday plunged to -28C. Three people froze to death and 14 were taken seriously ill. But, as ever, it will get worse for this city of 12 million.

Weather forecasters predict that tonight and tomorrow temperatures will plunge to as low as -37C, the coldest in the capital since 1979. Moscow's record low is -42.1, set 66 years ago. One Russian news website ran the headline "The Day After Tomorrow - in Moscow", referring to the Hollywood film about global warming in which the United States is enveloped overnight in a new ice age.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The article also states that to top it off, the people of Russia will also have to deal with a record rise in utility prices. This is indeed bad news for the people of Russia.

If there are any members who are from Russia that read this article, we would like to get an update on this situation.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Muaddib]

[edit on 18-1-2006 by parrhesia]

E_T

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Yep, it's greetings from Siberia.
And looking really good...
www.wetterzentrale.de...

It's only -25�C (-13�F) here and propably it drops to -30 for tomorrow morning.
But one stormchaser 200km north from here just reported that there's -39�C where he lives. (same in F)

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Can this be attributed to global warming affecting the atlantic stream and slightly lowering the temperatures in Europe? And since Russia is so far away from water the decrease is intensified?

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

-37C, being the coldest it has been in Russia since 1979.

Not true. It´s the coldest in Moscow since 1979, not Russia. Some place in Russia had minus 61 Celsius the other day...

posted on Jan, 22 2006 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I'm surprised this hasn't recieved more attention on ATS as I believe some Russian scientists made a bet with some Western Scientists that the climate would shift in this exact way that it is doing right now, I think maybe even you might have posted muadibb I just cannot find the thread right now.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt

Not true. It´s the coldest in Moscow since 1979, not Russia. Some place in Russia had minus 61 Celsius the other day...

Actually you are right, I think i was a bit tired when i wrote this article.

The people in Japan have had it really bad too, with 13 feet of snow, something that has never happened in Japan, that we know of.

[edit on 23-1-2006 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rickey Gerard Perez
Can this be attributed to global warming affecting the atlantic stream and slightly lowering the temperatures in Europe? And since Russia is so far away from water the decrease is intensified?

In a word: no.

The Gulf Stream has no effect on the climate of Russia - only the coastal fringes of NW Europe fall under its influence. A failure of the GS would simply bring these areas - the UK included - under more continental weather conditions.

January in the UK has been as mild as ever with temperatures up to 14c (average around 7c) last week.

posted on Jan, 23 2006 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Twice as many people has frozen to death in Poland in the past week than in Russia. The cold wave is now moving westwards.

And check out Indy´s thread here: There is a temporary hole in the ozonlayer over the Netherlands! And a weather balloon reported minus 86.8 celsius - "coldest ever observed by a balloon over the Netherlands"...

[edit on 2006/1/23 by Hellmutt]

new topics

top topics

join