It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asking Help about Air-intake

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:25 AM
link   
For some research of historical airintakes, I hope you can give give me some drtails about F-106 DeltaDagger's airintake, including pics, words which could prove the airintake on F-106 was factually similar to PhantomII's airintakes in principle, or not.
So some introduce of that structure or some photos, pictures,graphs etc. of it to show configration, characts,etc are welcome. If these evidences could prove that airintakes on F-106 is actually similar to F-4, then we could have a result to explain that airintake U.S. used go ahead of USSR MiG-23 increase from 7 years to 9 years because the F-106 first flew go ahead of F-4 for 2 years.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Not sure what exactly you're looking for, but here are a few comparison pics for you of the two.

F-106

F-4

The F-4 intake seems to be bigger, and it has the plate next to the fuselage (sorry, I forget what that's called right now. I haven't slept much in the last few days.) The shape was pretty similar however.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Well very good photos. Would you please post more photos of inside structure? Such as cutaway of airintake of F-106?

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Not sure if I can find cutaways or inside structure, but I can find some better pics of the two for comparison for you.

First, the F-106:
F-106 Intake
Intake Closeup

F-4

Sorry that's all I can find for now. I'll keep looking though.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 03:44 AM
link   

The photos you posted I have never seen before even I spent all my life won't get those I think. I have done my best to seach by google and yahoo but all of results I got cause me exhausting and worse than yours. The help you give me is so great, and thank you veeeerry much!

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 03:51 AM
link   
I'll try to find some more tomorrow for you. See if I can find some cutaway views or something.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Well, when you come back here tommorrow, there are some new post here maybe, because I will continue to ask other's article link then,more introguce by words more better. my next next question is are there any another contries that doing reseach of airintakes was more supirior than US in 50's last century.
We all knew that design of airintake that Foxbat used just imitate from Northamerica A-5. So Are there any design like this was ahead of A-5 in US or other country? All I knew is SuperDelta

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Zaphod, I think the word you were looking for is "splitter plate". It allows the intake airflow not to be perturbated by the boundary layer if I'm correct.

Emile, for intakes you have different interesting systems to get optimized airflow, it often involves moving parts.
A nice example is the F-111A : it uses a moving cone in front of the intake, which moves back or forth depending on speed, and a part of the intake itself can be moved forward for landing, creating a secondary intake for airflow, for landing and usually low speeds. There are two versions of this intake, Triple Plow I (the entire intake goes forward) and Triple PLow II (three small inlets open) for later F-111 models :

www.f-111.net...

Another explample is the French Mirages which use mobile "mouses" to help optimize the airflow, on the Mirage 2000 D and N these parts are fixed, as a consequence their top speed is only mach 1.4 instead of mach 2.2 for the "2000 C" fighter version. You can note that the F-35 has "bumps" on the fuselage inside the intakes, they can be compared to the Mirage "mouses", in my opinion, except they are fixed. Since they are fixed this could limit the F-25 speed, on the other hand it seems that mobile mouses are a disadvantage for stealthiness, so having those bumps looks like an interesting compromise.

I think the MiG-25 used moving plates inside the intake, quite like the F-14, F-15 I'd say. I don't know how one could tell which system is more advanced.

I'm not sure I answered you question but it was nice to write, anyway !

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Having been a Crew Chief on RF-4C's i can give you some information. The highlighted portion in the pic bellow is called a Vari-Ramp. It is controlled by a probe inside the intake that moves the ramp across the intake when the aircraft gets close to and goes through the speed of sound to keep normal air flow in and around engine intake.

The American F-4's used J-79 General Electric engines and the British F-4's used Rolls Royce engines that had an auxillary air intake at the back.

Most Soviet and European aircraft have a top set of louvers that when the aircraft is in taxi on the ground the louvers close over the normal intakes so the engine sucks air through the top of the intake keeping the intakes from sucking up debris on the runways.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by ULTIMA1]

[edit on 18-1-2006 by ULTIMA1]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Ultima1,
As a modeler I'm very interested in this feature of the F-4, actually I was thinking about making an RF-4C for FS2004. Does the vari-ramp rotate or does it slide ? Any doc about its motion ?

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by echoblade
Ultima1,
As a modeler I'm very interested in this feature of the F-4, actually I was thinking about making an RF-4C for FS2004. Does the vari-ramp rotate or does it slide ? Any doc about its motion ?

Damn, I can't remember. I'll check my undergrad notes tomorrow and get back to you.

I *think* it slides forwards and back, changing the shock structure upstream the inlet and the throat area of the inlet.

The alternative is a change in angle (the rear of the ramp will move closer to the intake's outer side while the front edge remains fixed.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The F-4's vari-ramp slides from the inner position across the intake. There is also whats called auxillary air intakes on the belly of the aircraft for cooling air when it is sitting still.

On the British F-4 these Auxillary intakes are on the sides of the engines by the wings.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by echoblade
Zaphod, I think the word you were looking for is "splitter plate". It allows the intake airflow not to be perturbated by the boundary layer if I'm correct.
……

echoblade:
I can see why you are so interesting in cone-airintake. I think that airintake Mirage used was same to StarFighter.
All I want to ensure is that F-106's airintake go ahead of MiG-23 9 Years. Now I have got an assurance

top topics

join