It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellite images 'show Atlantis'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Satellite images of a region known as Marisma de Hinojos near the city of Cadiz show two rectangular structures in the mud and parts of concentric rings that may once have surrounded them.
news.bbc.co.uk...
could this be Atlantis.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Im gonna dig around and see if I can snag the satelitte image.. they dont show a real good quality of it so it could be anything..

Im betting theres a high quality scan out there unless it was quickly snagged up as "secret"..

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Until then, here are some pics:

[edit on 1/17/2006 by QuietSoul]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:52 AM
link   
This is very interesting. I never thought about Atlantis being in southern Spain. Perhaps if more evidence supporting this idea is presented, we could eventually decide this place or some other is Atlantis and then investigate all of the other ancient ruins of civilizations without rumors of each being Atlantis popping up. Good find.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I dont see any rings whatsoever in that satellite photo. Not even a hint. Not even with the help of the ringed photo, lol.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 04:21 AM
link   
i'd say they have found Tartessos and not Atlantis but many might want to say that Tartessos and Atlantis are actually the same city

[edit on 17-1-2006 by Hvitserk]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I'd say it was Tartessos as well. (Curses, I wanted to point that out! :lol
It would be amazing if it means that they've finally found it - people have been looking for it for years. All we know is that the Carthaginians founded Gades (Cadiz) to trade with it and that it vanished around the 6th Century BC. All the Spanish have to do now is start to excavate there. Wow, a whole lost city built by a mysterious people. My history bits are tingling!

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It could be Atlantis, from it's location it looks like it's just passed the Strait of Gibraltar,

Which was known as the Pillars of Hurcules, 2000 odd years ago, which is where Atlantis was rumoured to be..

I always suspected a sunken island between Spanish mainland and the Canarie isles, but this is a good logical location..

It's a much more realistic location than the people who think it's in Antarctica..

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 01:15 AM
link   
no wonder why the gods wiped out atlantis. it looks like a giant bullseye. which god wouldnt want to wipe out a city whose people were dumb enough to create it in a fashion that yells "HIT ME!"

smart people yes...but not all their in the head.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Ape
Which was known as the Pillars of Hurcules, 2000 odd years ago, which is where Atlantis was rumoured to be..

All worlds� oceans were past the Pillars of Hercules for Greeks of Plato's time. Their world perspective was based on Mediterranean Sea. Having that in mind, Atlantis might as well be on the other side of earth.

While playing with Google Earth, and looking for some UFO locations (Dragon snake legend, Solomon Islands), I�ve noticed that some of Islands might some times long ago be well above the sea level. Some of the shapes islands forms are in cylinder shape. I�ll post about this when I get more info.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Joe are correct.
The sea level 10 000 years ago was different than now. The North Sea wich is 100 meters deep (except for 'Norskerenna' (don't know its English name) wich is 500 meters deep today) now was then wide open grassland.

The few villages found from this period in England and Scandinavia is most likely because people lived closer to the then coast wich means we must dive 100 meters down to find any archeologic evidence of settlements.

I'm not sure these 100 meters can be adopted to other seas in the world, but if it can then look for volcanic areas no deeper than 100 meters below the surface.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Any new archaelogical find near or around Cadiz would aid in solving the riddle of the Atlantis legend given by Plato. Cadiz or ancient Gades (which is not exactly near the modern city of Cadiz) is mentioned as one of the ten sons of Poseidon, with the name Gadeirus. It would be interesting if there were ten ancient cities named after these sons. The only one to date that fits the bill is Gades (Cadiz). Take note that this city is near the coast and would make a great sea port for the Phoenicians. Maybe archaelogical researchers should be looking in the waters around southern Spain for the true Gades. Possibly sea levels rose after some time over the city's ruins. The Critias says this about Gadeirus' land alotment:
"To his twin brother, who was born after him, and obtained as his lot the extremity of the island toward the Pillars of Heracles, facing the country which is now called the region of Gades in that part of the world, he gave the name which in the Hellenic language is Eumelus, in the language of the country which is named after him, Gadeirus."

The other nine sons were:

Atlas
Ampheres
Evaemon
Mneseus
Autochthon
Elasippus
Mestor
Azaes
Diaprepes

There is only one region in this world that has multiple ancient named cities having a form of 'atla' in their spelling. I'm sure the how the words were originally sounded out are the reason why these cities are spelled the way they are today. The region I'm speaking of is Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras and El Salvador.

new topics

top topics

join