It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm joining the Masons (long)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm not fishing for congratulations, pats on the back, or anything like that, so please bear with me. I've read this site for a long time, but never felt like I had anything substantial to contribute. Now, I think I do.

I know three Masons (I imagine that I know more, but am not aware of their affiliation). The first was my grandfather - a good, upstanding, honest man that I have always considered my hero. Even though I grew up mostly in my grandparent's home, I only learned of his membership a few years ago, when he died. We found masonic stuff amongst his estate belongings. This doesn't surprise me, as my grandmother was the type of die-hard Catholic that would have frowned on the Masons if anyone religious ever denounced the group. She also frowned on rock music, and roleplaying and video games. My grandfather was not a religious man. In his younger days, he was Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout troop, and Advisor for an Explorer Post (the older kid version)... probably a reason that I got involved in the scouts. A truly upstanding man.

The second Mason, I've known for about twenty years. He was an executive within the local Boy Scout district, big into community service, and an advisor for the Scouting service honor society. We realized a long time ago that we shared a common interest (roleplaying games), and became friends. He introduced me to the convention circuit, and probably helped shape my career interests as a result. He advised the Explorer Post that I helped found, and later advised myself.

The third Mason, I met last year. He is also a gamer, and convention attendee, and likes simple pleasures like hanging out at the bar and having a few drinks with the guys. It’s hard to get to know someone in just a year, but he seems to be a decent human being with good intentions. He’s politically active in the local lodge.

Now, a little about me: I’m a late-20’s male. I live in the town I grew up in. I had a 4.0 GPA in high school, was a member of the National Honor Society and the community service club. I got 1600 on the SATs. I attended an Ivy League school. I was a Cub Scout, and went all the way through the ranks to Eagle Scout. I was a member and then advisor for an Explorer Post. I’ve been happily married to my college sweetheart for four years. I work as a Forensic Consultant. I was raised a Roman Catholic, but evolved into a Hobbsian Deist. I’m a published author, I help administer a world-wide RPG campaign, and I work gaming conventions as an unpaid volunteer. I have a dog, and hate my wife’s cat. I like single-malt scotch (straight up) and red ale, and am quite fond of nine ball at the local pool hall.

So, in summary: I think I’m a pretty well-adjusted, intelligent, upstanding guy with good intentions. Every Mason I know seems to be of the same vein.

I’ve done my homework, read all of the accusations and rebuttals, read the official statements and the anti-masonic stuff. I decided to join the local lodge. And here is what I can offer: a step-by-step account of what I’ve found, as it happens. If I am told that something is for no one else’s ears, I will keep it secret, but will mention its existence. So, here we go:

====

In November, I told Mason #3 that if Masonry was similar to how Masonry describes itself, then I was interested in joining.

In mid-December, that friend handed me a blue form, and asked me to fill it out. It asked for my name, address, whether I had applied before, and for two recommending members. I was told that it didn’t matter if I could produce two names, but that it would help. He offered to be name one.

A few days later, I contacted Mason #2, asking for a second recommendation. He was ecstatic, and said he was honored that I would ask. He also said that he would drive several hours (he’s moved from the area) to attend anything that went on.

In late-December, I handed in my blue form to Mason #3, as he was heading off to a lodge meeting. Two days later, I got a phone call from the lodge secretary, who wanted to schedule an interview in my home. We decided on the next evening.

The next evening, three gentlemen (one, I’d say younger than myself, and two older) showed up at my home in business suits. They earned brownie points with me early on – I mentioned I had a dog, in case of allergies, and they showed interest in her (most non-friend visitors go “a dog, ho hum, whatever”). They asked my wife to stay for this interview. They read some boilerplate warning me that the organization was not a religion, cult, employment provider, business opportunity, insurance policy, or burial service, and that if I was expecting to get one of those sorts of benefits then I was to be disappointed. They told me all about the order – honestly, I didn’t learn anything new… it was the same stuff one can find on the fraternity’s official sites. They only said one thing regarding religion – ‘Do you believe in God?’ They were friendly, and spoke very… humanly. There was an aspect of comic relief between two of them. As they prepared to leave, they asked if I wouldn’t mind letting them see my dog.

One thing bothered me a bit – I asked what degree of politics runs through the lodge, and they said ‘None.’ I know that is not completely true, as I’ve heard my other Mason friends mention a brother filing charges against some brother, and cliques within the lodge… no different than any other group of people. But, at the same time, I wouldn’t expect someone advertising a club to mention petty things like that.

Two weeks later, I got a letter in the mail – I had been voted upon, and selected to receive the three Masonic degrees. I am to show up at 6:30pm this Friday at the local lodge, in formal attire, to become an Entered Apprentice. Tonight, I got a courtesy call from the secretary, making sure I could make it. He said to say hello to my dog for him.

More to follow, as it happens…

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:56 PM
link   
as an alunmi of my school I have an automatic entry to the Masonic Lodge - not that I have taken it - it seemed to me to cost a lot in charity - money i just dont have. Unlike some here I dont have preconceptions of the Masonic Lodges. In the UK they are very charitable institutions and do a LOT of good work but at this time in my life my money is focused on family and my kid so i wont join. There is a good chance i will in the future - so if you have the time, energy and cash to get in there i applaud you. If your looking for conspiracy Im sorry you will find none IMHO at least in the UK chapters.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
My father was a Mason......and Im very proud of that fact. My sister in law tried to tell me the other day our family is cursed by the Masons

There are fanatics of every kind I guess! I decided to brush her comments off as lunacy

I hope the brotherhood is as wonderful to you and your family as they have been to my father and us after his death.

Best wishes.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 08:02 PM
link   
you seem to know like i do that the brotherhood is there for good and not a dark entity to be feared.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Please Read:

Read this before posting about Masonic info

The Secret Societies forum is NOT for the discussion of mundane aspects of masonry and the like, this is a conspiratorial board. We insist that discussions here focus on conspiratorial aspects of secret societies or at least in line with that focus.

Thread Closed

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I suggest you read the tacked messages. You want to talk about that, go to a Mason board.

And, before any potential Skull and Bonesman wants to come here and extoll the greatness of the Bones, the tacked messages go for you, too.

Thread locked, as has been all the others like this.

top topics

join