It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mechanic sucked into jet engine

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 05:01 PM
link   
This is not a way anyone would want to go. As a pilot I know how large and deadly these engines can be.

A mechanics job is even more dangerous because of the proxemity to the engines.

CNN.com
"A mechanic standing near a Boeing 737 at El Paso International Airport in Texas was sucked into one of the engines and killed Monday, officials said.

Continental Airlines Flight 1515 was preparing to take off for Bush Intercontinental Airport in Houston when "a maintenance-related engine run-up of the right-hand engine" was carried out, said Roland Herwig, a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration's southwest region in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There were around 115 people on board the plane when the mishap occurred.

- One Man Short

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 05:08 PM
link   
thats wicked, forgive me for being morbid but did he pass right through it or would the engine jam.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 05:57 PM
link   
The fins of the fans in the engine would shear off, and there would be portions of any external material lodged within the engine.

- One Man Short

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well, if its any consolation he probably didn't suffer. Sure, there was that one brief moment of, "Uh OH" but the next moment he was walking down the tunnel towards the light saying, "Did you see that crap????"

It would be easier to stop the sun from shining or the season from changing then to stop the growth of the eternal soul.

He'll be back. Next time he'll be more careful around those jet engines too.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:32 PM
link   
probably sucks to die like that

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The engine would explode actually, but most are designed to contain it. You very rarely hear about an engine going where something comes out of it on the sides.

Actually it would be more "ut". heh.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   
oh that is so awfull! that poor man and even more his poor family who have to see this story all over the place!

I hope this is not on the news to long, for the familys sake

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:41 PM
link   
This horrible, is like making ground beef at home.

I imagine all the mess that it made, this is so horrible.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I'm just wondering what he was doing that close to the engine. ANYONE that works on a ramp KNOWS you don't get close to an engine for ANY reason, even when they're shut down.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
This horrible, is like making ground beef at home.(

What a thought, they could of sent the body home as sausages!

[edit on 16-1-2006 by Netchicken]

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Netchicken

What a thought, they could of sent the body home as sausages!

Quite honestly, I am disgusted that you would show so little respect. This is a terrible acciedent and to make light of it in such a public manner shows a total disregard for the feelings of this mans family.

I too hope the family can deal with their loss without seeing it plasted all over the media. Coping with grief is hard enough as it is.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Geez thats terrible...
I don't envy the guy who had to gather up what was left of the mechanic afterward. Seriously and the poor family it's going to be real depressing sitting at that funeral realizing there's nothing in that coffin other then a hundred or so pounds of ground mechanic. They don't even have the delusional comfort of looking at the body and commenting on how peaceful he looks. It really is sad hopefully they'll go with cremation in my opinion it's a more dignified way to be sent off considering the circumstances.

I wonder if the passengers even noticed at first. I don't mean if they saw the guy get sucked in but if there was an audible noise in the cabin when this happened. Some kind of reaction other then the engine just dying to give some indication of the severity of the incident and stifle any inconsiderate passenger grumbling. I hope there was because I would hate it if the first reactions to this mans death were of annoyance rather then fear and concern.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I've seen them throws dead birds into those engines. But a mechanic, wow.....

That's what you call job dedication, taking one for the team.. This makes me think of Hank Hill lighting a cigar sitting in a closed room full of leaky propane tanks.* or something they would do on mythbusters.**

*hank hill (king of the hill) directed at job dedication; and the
**stupid things they do on mythbusters.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Seriously, isnt there a checks-and-balances system involved in firing up the engines of a jet?

One would think they wouldnt just wind it up whenever they felt like it.

Im sure that process does exist and Im sure there are a handful of people in El Paso wondering if they will go to jail.

Sadly, thats a Darwin Death to be sure. Unlike most Darwin Death stories, we know this one is true.

RIP (no pun intended)

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 11:59 PM
link   
They have cones in front right up until they're ready to start, but really it's a matter of personal repsonsibility. People that work near engines are supposed to be warned and trained not to go near them at any time, running or not running.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:12 AM
link   
i think i remember this happening before and it was caught on video! and if i recall the guy survived! i'll try and find a link.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:25 AM
link   
If you are not Careful it can happen also on Smaller Airplanes with Smaller Engines.

I saw a Video that showed a Mechanice being sucked into the Engine of an US Navy Intruder.

Those engines are Strong.

Poor Guy - he was probably a Newbie.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 07:29 AM
link   
One of the most dangerous engines in the world is the F100-PW-220 used in the F-16. The crew chiefs call it the vacuum cleaner. If you have rocks and FOD on your ramp before an F-16 comes through, you won't after. It only puts out 25,000 pounds of thrust, but the suction around that intake is enormous. It doesn't matter how big an intake you have, you should NEVER be closer than 25 feet to an engine. That's the first thing they teach you before letting you on a ramp.

[edit on 1/18/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I think I'd rather get sucked into a jet engine and die quick than to fall into a wood chipper like some other dude did.

Peace

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Dr Love]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 08:55 PM
link   
''Wicked''..... ''Send the body home as sausages!''....what is wrong with some people.....

My heart goes out to himand his family. What a horrible way to die. At least it was quick....I think.

Yea, I remember that video where that happened to a guy and he lived. Unbelievable stuff.

[edit on 18-1-2006 by LetKnowledgeDrop]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join