It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA is ready to go to Pluto.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
It will take 9 years but NASA is now ready to send its New Horizons spacecraft to the planet Pluto.

www.sciencedaily.com

-- NASA is all set to launch its $700-million New Horizons spacecraft from Cape Canaveral in Florida on a nearly nine-year journey to Pluto.

The Los Angeles Times reported Sunday the New Horizons will be the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's first mission to an unexplored planet since 1977 when it is launched on Tuesday -- and will complete NASA's grand tour of all the planets in the solar system.

"This is the capstone of the missions to the planets that NASA has led since the 1960s," said Alan Stern, an astrophysicist with the Southwest Research Institute in Colorado, who is the principal investigator for the New Horizons mission.

NASA hopes that Pluto will give them new information on how planets are formed.
2015 seems so far away right now...

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Too bad that the worl will have ended by then....

Anyway, it's about time they go to Pluto. Hasn't had that much attention has it? It's all been Mars and Saturns moons pretty much up to this point.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Hey, the NASA TV live webcast has started!!!

www.nasa.gov...

SpaceFlightNow.com Mission Status Center

[edit on 1-17-2006 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Thanks for that Zion Mainframe

T minus two hours and counting...

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 11:17 AM
link   
For those who didn't get to see this thread yet, the launch is in one hour and you can watch the webcast by going to the link that Zion Mainframe has posted above.

They have mentioned that the winds are close to the limit. Hopefully the launch wont be delayed.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 11:56 AM
link   
T-minus 20 minutes to launch. Now is the time to click that link if you want to watch the launch.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:13 PM
link   
1810 GMT (1:10 p.m. EST)

T-minus 4 minutes and holding. The countdown has entered this final hold, which planned to last 10 minutes. Launch is still targeted for 1:24 p.m. EST, pending resolution of the valve issue and acceptable weather.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Extented to 1:45? I'll need to go to bed soon so faster please... ...I'm at the other side of the planet...

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
update 2:10pm launch time.

worried about gusts of winds, which are above accepted limits, but the gusts are few and far between. Everyhting is Go except the weather

FYI Launch window will be open til 3:23Pm EST

[edit on 1/17/2006 by Jehosephat]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
POSTPONED AGAIN!

Launch now at: 2:10 PM EST

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Now they hav put it at 2:10! Sry guys I cannot be with you all anymore to watch the launch. It bedtime for me...

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:48 PM
link   
You can always watch the video's tomorrow, at nasa.gov
Hopefully the rocket won't explode, the spacecraft uses plutonium for propulsion

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:51 PM
link   
i dont think they are trying to go to pluto,maybe that is a diversion for something must bigger...by 2012 were gonna have full disclosure so i dont see why they are going to pluto?

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:00 PM
link   
MagicPriest420, someone has started a thread questioning the truth about this mission. Exploring Pluto? Do they think were STUPID????

It would be great if we could keep conspiracy theory to that thread.

Sorry to hear you have to go NotheRaGe.
I'm watching this with my two kids and we're getting tired of waiting too

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicPriest420
i dont think they are trying to go to pluto,maybe that is a diversion for something must bigger...by 2012 were gonna have full disclosure so i dont see why they are going to pluto?

Pff, sure man, what have you been smoking?

What makes you think this mission is for something other than researching Pluto?

Anyway, the launch has been postponed yet again, new launch time is now at 2:30 PM EST

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
New time is

2:50 EST

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:28 PM
link   
POSTPONED AGAIN

Launch now at 2:50 PM EST (hopefully)

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Better safe than sorry I guess.
My daughter will be 15 when this thing finally gets to Pluto. I really want her to watch this today and hopefully build a memory from it.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Again postponed..

3:05 PM

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It keeps getign moved! ARGH! I should just study for my exams...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join