It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cronkite: Time for U.S. to Leave Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Walter Cronkite, the respected former anchor of CBS news has said that he thinks we should get out of Iraq. And now.

In 1968 he did a documentary on Vietnam and at the end of the show, he was asked to be candid about his opinion on the war. He said the war was unwinnable and that we should get out.

Lyndon Johnson lamented that if he had lost Cronkite, he'd lost the country.

Source

Former CBS anchor Walter Cronkite, whose 1968 conclusion that the Vietnam War was unwinnable keenly influenced public opinion then, said Sunday he'd say the same thing today about
Iraq.

"It's my belief that we should get out now," Cronkite said in a meeting with reporters.
"We had an opportunity to say to the world and Iraqis after the hurricane disaster that Mother Nature has not treated us well and we find ourselves missing the amount of money it takes to help these poor people out of their homeless situation and rebuild some of our most important cities in the United States," he said. "Therefore, we are going to have to bring our troops home."

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Cronkite, respected? Ok. I guess in some circles of KneeJerkdom, but not with people I know.

Cronkite was a great asset to the North Vietnamese, and I see that he is trying to help our new enemies.

I am glad to see that Cronkite is still fancying himself as an expert, rather than a reporter. Nothing has changed.

When the VC should have been on its last leg after the failed Tet offensive, Walter breathed life back into their struggle. Such a good American, he is.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I agree with his conclusion, but I think he's tiptoeing around the problem.

Our cash flow issues have less to do with Katrina, and more to do with the tax cuts, corporate cronyism, and outright thievery that's been going on for some time now. Long before any hurricane was on the radar, the govt. looters were hard at work.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Our cash flow issues have less to do with Katrina, and more to do with the tax cuts, corporate cronyism, and outright thievery that's been going on for some time now. Long before any hurricane was on the radar, the govt. looters were hard at work.

Oh, I agree with you.

I got the impression he was saying that after Katrina, we should have said, "We need money to take care of our own now, so we'll be leaving and using the money we're dumping into this war to help our people."

top topics

join