It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A weird experience to be sure..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Hi everyone, as I have just returned to the site after a prolonged absence I though I would share a strange experience from a number of years ago.

One fine sunny afternoon at my parents home, I was sitting in a nice relaxing chair in the family room reading an Isaac Asimov book.

My mother called out to me to let me know that we were leaving to go down town in about half an hour. I got up put my book on the table next to the chair - and marked the page with my rare Star Wars 20th Anniversary bookmark.

I only have one of these bookmarks, and everyone in the family knows not to touch it.

Anyway, it was a hot day and I was getting around the house in just my boardshorts. I went to get a towel from the linen cupboard two rooms away from the family room that I was reading in - leaving my book, CLOSED with the bookmark inside, sitting on the table.

I went straight to the linen cupboard, opened it up took a towel out. As I closed the door and turned away my Star Wars bookmark fluttered out of the cupboard and landed at my feet.

More than a little freaked out at this stage, I went back to the family room to check my book - sure enough NO bookmark.

Needlless to say - I dont use that bookmark anymore!

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Or any idea what it could have caused it?

[edit on 15-1-2006 by Ezekiel]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Aw... no one like my story =(

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ezekiel
Aw... no one like my story =(

I did!

I just can't find a possible explanation

Perhaps others will.

Inverencial Peace,
Akashic

[edit on 15/1/2006 by AkashicWanderer]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I did!

yay! Thanks AW.

I have thought a few times about what could explain it but have never come up with any other than maybe a poltergeist?

My parents house has a history of funny things happening in it.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Maybe the bookmark stuck to your sleeve, and then fell off when you reached into the cupboard?
But you do claim that it was firmly in the book.
Are you sure?

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
You know, I personally didn't have an experience like this, but my grandma did. Several months after my great-grandma died (her mother), she was in her kitchen, whcih made an L shape with her unitily room. And her refrigerator was around the corner and a little was from the unitilty room. We'll, in her unitilty room, on the top shelf of her cupboard, was a massive roll of tin foil that my great-grandma had for several years before she died. My grandma was standing in front of her sink, which was sort of in front of the door to unitilty room. She was washing dishes and then she heard a loud slam, then a thump. She turned around and found the box of tin foil on the floor in front of the refrigerator. Now mind you, that is about 20 feet away. Creepy....

PS: When my great-grandma bought that tin foil, she wrote on it "Will I out-last this foil, or will it out-last me?" Creepy....

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Toadmund
Maybe the bookmark stuck to your sleeve, and then fell off when you reached into the cupboard?
But you do claim that it was firmly in the book.
Are you sure?

Could have - except as it was a hot day, I was only wearing my boardshorts (no shirt).

Also, I walked about 20 feet from the family room, through a hallway to the linen cupboard.

I was very sure that the bookmark was in the right place when I finished reading - I'm VERY anal about losing my place when reading =)

El-reeker -

That is very spooky.... did you great grandma ever mention anything weird about the tinfoil before this incident?

Very creepy her writing that message on it too,......

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 11:11 AM
link   
hmmm, Is it possible that this bookmark might of stuck to your arm? Is the bookmark made out of some laminate or plastic? Did you know anyone who had recently passed?

I know when it's really warm I can have things of a plastic nature stick to my skin with out my knowledge, only to fall off a while later... But strange things like that have happened to me after someone i knew passed on.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 12:21 PM
link   
There are some possible paths of possibility here.

Seeming as you said that you were freaked out and since you posted the way you did.I would like to think that this hasnt happened much if at all before.

One mode of thinking is that you could have had a moment of abscence
where your concious slips into your subconcious leaving a moment of blankness where you cannot remember the actions of what you were doing.

You could have forgot that you had it in your hand.?

Another possibility is that it could have been a prank performed by many different low level poltergiest.Where as many entities have fetters tied to suffering and pain,Fear and being scared.Others are tied to happiness and laughter or even confusion and puzzlement.

Say the more you try to figure out how it happened you run around the house asking people accusing and all the while going a little nuts.This could be very amusing to something that likes to cause turmoil or pranks so to speak.

Now this thing or spirit may have been pssing through figured that you had
too much attachment to something and that you needed to learn a lesson.
remember that we ourselves create the scenarios in which our lives take place.

Just a thought...Toraylin the Scarecrow

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by toraylin
Seeming as you said that you were freaked out and since you posted the way you did.I would like to think that this hasnt happened much if at all before.

One mode of thinking is that you could have had a moment of abscence
where your concious slips into your subconcious leaving a moment of blankness where you cannot remember the actions of what you were doing.

You could have forgot that you had it in your hand.?

Another possibility is that it could have been a prank performed by many different low level poltergiest.Where as many entities have fetters tied to suffering and pain,Fear and being scared.Others are tied to happiness and laughter or even confusion and puzzlement.

Say the more you try to figure out how it happened you run around the house asking people accusing and all the while going a little nuts.This could be very amusing to something that likes to cause turmoil or pranks so to speak.

Now this thing or spirit may have been pssing through figured that you had
too much attachment to something and that you needed to learn a lesson.
remember that we ourselves create the scenarios in which our lives take place.

Just a thought...Toraylin the Scarecrow

I am very interested in the idea of the low level poltergeists. As I mentioned in my first post, my parents house has a history of strange things happening.

Interesting to hear you say "might have been passing through". I wasnt aware that spirits wandered, I always thought that they were tied to one place. Is it common for them to wander?

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:10 AM
link   
When it comes to spirits and ghosts.Most people tend to generalize when it comes to such things.As in any feild of research the more you know about some things the greater the amount of categories.

When it comes to what we will call "ghosts"they are what is essencially left of humans and other things(lets not go there).So lets focus on human ghosts shall we.

Depending on the cause of death and the habits,personality,age,location,
upbringing of the person who will die and live life after death within these realms,you can have many different results when it comes to the form of the ghost.

Know that just like in life ghosts change due to circumstance aswell.
They exsist for the most part(meaning that there are exceptions in all cases)on energy,in many cases the begining of ghosts reside in memories or their attachement to certain objects events or even people I call these fetters.When a person dies they hold on so tightly mayhaps even in their last moments that they create a shade(ghost).

there is also the darker side where the person in question dies suddenly or in pain or whatever.you know what I mean.

As the ghosts exsistence revolves around these "fetters" certain aspects can change them any way i hope that helps(for now

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Thanks for the info Tor.

Like most topics of the paranormal - the more you start to learn, the more questions you have!

I will leave them for another time =)

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Every halloween the local radio station requests people to call in with their ghost stories. I heard one lady tell about their poltergeist, who was fond of hiding things in the clothes washer, especially keys apparently. She said that her brother scoffed at the idea, and didn't believe her. So, one day she said, okay, set your keys here in the middle of the kitchen table and then we'll go off and leave them alone for a few hours. Later that day, when they looked, the keys were missing. That was when she told him about the washing machine. They went to the laundry room, opened the washer, and lo and behold, no keys. Well, they searched for some time and then found them....in the dryer. I thought that story was cute.
I've never seen a ghost, but I did get to know a little old lady who was a ghostbuster. She was Christian, and her pastor did not like the things she said at all. In fact, in her church, no one would publically acknowledge that they believed her. Publically. Occasionally, discretely, a church member would arrive at her door, and ask her to please not tell anyone. Then she would go to their house, have a chat with the ghost, and their poltergeist activity would stop. She told me many wild tales about the 'other side', and I trusted her, along with my aunt. My uncle and two cousins were much more skeptical. Their rolling eyes and sly smirks said it all. It is not hard for me to accept that although I haven't seen a ghost, lots of others have. Why should I presume to know what they saw?

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I see them...all the time,if i want to.Its tricky but you have to allow yourself to become aware of their prescence its hard to do at first.Scary next after that.Part of you after a while...And perhaps a burden in the end.

I dont let it happen half the time,because I get scared sometimes.People
think that they have to show themselves to you.When infact looking in that way will almost surely make them hide or go away.

spectres can read you like a book and half of them are scared worst than you can emagine.Escpeacialy if they are new first level whatevers(shade,cryer,whisper,wraith,)

In many cases when there are peole searching for ghosts through means that are unneccessary to the ghosts exsistence there is never usually an encounter.Most ghosts dont need more fear or anguish.Im talking about harmless ones that usually inhabit places.

all for now...Scarecrow

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 03:04 AM
link   
I have always just assumed they could, which is kind of like me. Anyway, I have had two people that I spoke with in dreams who were deceased, and although it may have just been me, I felt strongly that it was them. That might sound unconvincing to some, but I am not trying to convince anyone. I care only about what I believe, and I am not 100% sure, but I feel pretty solid on the idea that these little talks were actual conversations. Could be wrong, admittedly. If spirits can enter dreams, which I will assume you will confirm for me... is it likely that in a dream state it is easier for them to connect with someone? I don't feel like I am resisting them when awake, but could some inhibitions drop enough when we dream, that we would allow it when we do not when awake?

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:54 PM
link   
BlackGuardXIII said:

Could be wrong, admittedly. If spirits can enter dreams, which I will assume you will confirm for me... is it likely that in a dream state it is easier for them to connect with someone? I don't feel like I am resisting them when awake, but could some inhibitions drop enough when we dream, that we would allow it when we do not when awake?

Personally I believe, not so much with dreaming as it is also with other states of mind.
Everyday consciousness is not very conducive to experiencing phenomenon like ghosts. Every time I've had them (experiences) is when I was laying in bed and relaxed.
Sort of a state between awakeness and drifting off, of course the skeptics would say it's a waking dream, but of course unless they've experienced it, they would not know and would not be so dismissive of it's reality.

If ghosts exist outside our conscious minds, why would we use our consious minds to contact them?

new topics

join