It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zawahri missed dinner that prompted US strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Al Qaeda's second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahri failed to show up to a dinner invitation, which had prompted a U.S. military strike on the village where he was thought to be. This strike has prompted demonstrations by many Pakistani citizens.

[url=http://reuters.myway.com/article/20060115/2006-01-15T195927Z_01_N13223063_RTRIDST_0_NEWS-SECURITY-PAKISTAN-ZAWAHRI-DC.html]reuters.myway.com[/ur l]
ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - A dinner invitation to al Qaeda's second-in-command triggered a U.S. airstrike in Pakistan but Ayman al-Zawahri failed to show up, Pakistani intelligence officials said Sunday.

Pakistan condemned Friday's strike, which killed at least 18 people, including women and children, and summoned U.S. ambassador Ryan Crocker to protest.

There were anti-American demonstrations in several towns and cities Sunday, and supporters of Islamist and secular parties mustered close to 10,000 people for a rally in the southern city of Karachi.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Well, I guess we missed him. Damn. I am upset that so many people had to die, and I am a little worried about the long term effects on our relations with Pakistan. I hope we can be a little more "surgical" in our future attacks, and prevent so many casualties.

[edit on 15-1-2006 by agwardlds]

join