It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs in Iceland during the Cold War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Iceland has long been the centre of many stories about UFO incidents and alien sightings, but it was a sequence of events in the winter of 1992 that alerted me to the scale of activity in the Arctic Circle.

Iceland played a crucial role during the Cold War years, with huge radar bases built around its coast to monitor the activities of the Soviet Fleet, slipping out into the Atlantic from their Barents Sea bases. On many occasions, fighter planes were scrambled to pursue blips on the radar that turned out to be encounters with UFOs. Iceland is rich in legend and folklore and its people have many strange tales to tell of small creatures seen on the glaciers, particularly the Snaefellsjokull glacier, where residents leave food out for the little grey people who live under the glacier.

In the winter of 1992, there were dozens of UFO sightings in the north of Scotland, causing a flurry of media interest as literally hundreds of witnesses reported seeing strange shapes and lights in the sky. But there was one incident that did not get reported in the national press. On the 20th. December, near the Orkney Islands, a UFO was tracked on radar and a fighter plane ordered up to intercept it. I heard from a reliable source, that the plane and UFO merged on the radar screen, just as had happened with Foxtrot 94, and that again radio contact was lost. A search and rescue plane took off, and hours later made a mysterious discovery. In a remote inhospitable stretch of the Orkneys the plane was found intact in an area where it would have been impossible to carry out a controlled landing. The pilot was missing.

Full Article

This article always facinated me, mainly by its relation to the cold war. Iceland is rich in tales of small beings (ie. "Gnomes") and this could very well explain it.

Reminds me alot of the "Foo Fighters" seen during WWII.

[edit on 15-1-2006 by Kacen]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:07 AM
link   
According to the article, it appears likely that aliens would build lots of bases underwater, mainly in the artic circle due to very few people being there.

Also, the behaviour of UFOs underwater and UFOs diving underwater has been observed in the Bermuda triangle, no? Could that possibly hint of an alien base somewere in that area?

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Interesting read.

My grandparents live near Scotland, about 200 miles off the north coast on Shetlands, and recall seeing five UFO's to the south. They were in the newspaper the next day as most people had seen them too, not only on SHetland but in Scotland.

Eventually they were called helicopters but what kind of helicopter can be seen from 200 miles away, clearly enough for people to know its not a helicopter?

BTW Shetland is well close to Orkney where the Plane was found.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 09:39 AM
link   
well, the us has had a base in keflavik since the 1940's so its possible there have been some test aircraft flown there that have been mistaken for ufo's.

as for the trolls/aliens idea.. the language in iceland hasnt changed in 1000 years so it would be interesting to trace the troll stories through the written records of the island.

as most of the island had remained mostly unexplored until after ww2 its a good location for a remote hideout

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 10:19 AM
link   
The Cold War was the reason there were many more significant UFO sightings in the 1960-70's. justyc posted there was a US base since the 1940's would underscoer the possibilities of sightings of test vehicles do to its remote location.

On a side, since we're headed for the new Cold War and the armament of space, we should see a significant rise in UFO activeties.

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nullster
The Cold War was the reason there were many more significant UFO sightings in the 1960-70's. justyc posted there was a US base since the 1940's would underscoer the possibilities of sightings of test vehicles do to its remote location.

On a side, since we're headed for the new Cold War and the armament of space, we should see a significant rise in UFO activeties.

'remote location' is really an understatement when it comes to iceland. 3/4 of the population of iceland lives in the capitol reykjavik and the rest of the country was only ever crossed by icelandic horse (which have 1 extra 'gear' than other horses) until ww2, when the motor vehicle was introduced in the form of kit cars left there.

until then, no-one had ever really ventured into the middle of iceland which is technically europe's only 'true' desert - ie, nothing grows there.

i've climbed up the volcano which neil armstrong & co supposedly practiced in before going to the moon, although the sudden sandstorm meant i couldnt open my eyes and actually see the crater.

iceland would be a perfect place to hide a base as the majority of the country is so desolate and remote and has only recently in history been explored. the scenery in many places is spooky enough as it is without the stories of trolls!! only thing is, what would hidden aliens eat if there was a base hidden there because it couldnt be the locals as they would notice so many going missing, and nothing grows in the middle...

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by justyci've climbed up the volcano which neil armstrong & co supposedly practiced in before going to the moon, although the sudden sandstorm meant i couldnt open my eyes and actually see the crater.

Wow, you've actually been there?
Lucky

Originally posted by justyciceland would be a perfect place to hide a base as the majority of the country is so desolate and remote and has only recently in history been explored. the scenery in many places is spooky enough as it is without the stories of trolls!! only thing is, what would hidden aliens eat if there was a base hidden there because it couldnt be the locals as they would notice so many going missing, and nothing grows in the middle...

True, but if the bases were not just on land, but underwater around Iceland? I think its 100% possible. If the land is that unexplored, then imagine how unexplored the sea around it is!

[edit on 18-1-2006 by Kacen]

posted on Jan, 18 2006 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Sounds like an ideal place. Almost too remote for logistics sake, but that would be a good reason to keep the curious away. So now I'm Googling all about Iceland.....

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Well, if you find anything interesting, check back here.

The article also stated that they've spotted little beings on a glacier from a plane. Perhaps they do have a land base...

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
whats with UFO in iceland during the cold war? My grandpa was an airforce pilote stationed in Iceland during the cold war. Whatever happened in iceland, my grandpa dosen't talk about because its "classified" and he is sworn to secrecy. Its likely to think that he may have had involvment with UFOs while stationed in Iceland. I just know that when i talk to him about UFOs, my grandpa and grandma alike (she was in the airforce too) start acting wierd, frustrated at times and beat around the bush. They try to convince me otherwise of UFOs, but is usless as i have witnessed a flying saucer and UFOs have been sighted in texas and more importantly my home town of Katy here recently. Anybody have any insight?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Hello there. I was expecting some neat UFO story from the cold war in Iceland and find amazing story about Scotland, fighter jets and UFO´s

Anyhow, I live in Iceland and remember the cold war UFO stories. There was alot of them! Funny thing is though that after the cold war ended and especially after the US minimized the operations in its Icelandic military base (closed in 2006), there has been almost no UFO´s reported.

I have never heard any stories about small people on the glaciers and that people leave out food for them but we have the Icelandic version of elves. They are like dwarfs that live in big rocks and cliffs, invisible small people with magical powers. It is just an old folk lore.

I remember many stories of UFO´s from the period of 1980 to 1995 but not so many after that. I´ll write up some of the stuff I remember now and maybe after the new years I can dig up more details.

My friends have seen unexplained dancing lights above a mountain north of Reykjavík, it was back in 1990 when we only had 4 helicopters in the whole country and none of them was in the air at the time.
The news reported a story around the same time of a couple that was abducted while driving inside Reykjavík. It was a 10 minute drive but for some reason it took them 1 1/2 hour and they couldnt remember the trip at all.
Me and my family and probably hundreds of people in Reykjavík saw a UFO in 1995, it flew very slowly over the city and was not disc shaped. It was cylinder shaped, shiny metallic and flew vertically, somehow swinging through the air. I remember calling flight control asking if they saw it on radar and they didnt see anything but he told me they had other reports. It was never mentioned in the news.

Here are some related links I found:

www.icelandreview.com...

www.ufoevidence.org...

www.spacepub.com...

www.ufodigest.com...

Thats it for now....Happy New Year!

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
hey, i am new to this website and i like it, i am from iceland, and i found some photos on google

www.ufo.se...

A PICTURE TAKEN FROM KEFLAVIK, ICELAND, AT 12.20 ON THE DAY OF THE SOLAR ECLIPSE. THIS ONE SHOWS A TYPICAL LENS FLARE ?

www.spacepub.com...

?

join