It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American hero Hugh Thompson jr. dead at 62

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
On the morning of March 16, 1968 helicopter pilot Hugh Thompson, his crew chief and door gunner flew over the city of My Lai Vietnam. The unarmed men, women and children of the village were being massacred by Troops from the United States. Unable to stop the massacre Thompson set his helicopter down between the troops and fleeing villagers and gave his crew permission to fire on the American forces.

www.cbsnews.com
Thompson, whose role in the 1968 massacre did not become widely known until decades later, died at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Alexandria, hospital spokesman Jay DeWorth said.

Trent Angers, Thompson's biographer and family friend, said Thompson died of cancer.

"These people were looking at me for help and there was no way I could turn my back on them," Thompson recalled in a 1998 Associated Press interview.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I once read that the definition of a hero is someone who does what has to be done, regardless of the consequences. Hugh Thompson fits that definition perfectly.

Sometimes it's easy to be overwhelmed by the darkness in this world, the greed, madness and absurdity of it all. Then like a light in the darkest of night along comes a Hugh Thompson and restores hope for the human spirit.

Related News Links:
www.usnews.com

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Respect, it's good to know that some people can distinguish between orders and moral obligations and doing the right thing no matter what

join