It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web Beacons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Have you heard of Web Beacons I haven't until now, they are supposed to be like cookies from what I've read, Yahoo uses them to record websites you visit even when you are not connected to Yahoo. Can anyone shed some light on these Web Beacons.
Anyway here is a link below to opt out if you wish.

Here is their updated privacy statement at privacy.yahoo.com...
About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies, you will see a link that says WEB BEACONS.

Click on the phrase "Web Beacons." On the page that opens, find a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo Network."

In that section find a little "Click Here to Opt Out" link that will let you "opt-out" of their snooping. Be careful! NOT to click on the next button shown. It is an "Opt Back In" button that, if clicked, will UNDO the opt-out.

Note that Yahoo's invasion of your privacy - and your ability to opt-out of it - is not user-specific. It is MACHINE specific. That means you will have to opt-out on every computer (and browser) you use.

Source

[edit on 15/1/2006 by Sauron]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Thats nothing knew.

Lots of sites use that.

You can find and explanation here

You can find one of those things at the bottom of this page. It is used for the site statistics, I suppose, and it is a 8X8 pixels PNG image.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
If it bugs you that they are there, just download a good Cleaner software.
I payed for mine and it dumps all the cookies that have been added at the end of the day.

[edit on 15-1-2006 by Mr101Hazardous]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
Thats nothing knew.

Lots of sites use that.

You can find and explanation here

You can find one of those things at the bottom of this page. It is used for the site statistics, I suppose, and it is a 8X8 pixels PNG image.

webopedia???
A trash commercial competitor to Wikipedia, or is it? Or a plain spam site... Uugh!

Here's a eloquent, detailed explanation of a web beacon, focusing on how it works and how it violates your online privacy:

From Wikipedia: Web Beacon

[edit on 15/1/06 by Echtelion]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 04:03 PM
link   
1 more tech web 'thing' to follow and watch us with...........hmmm.
one day, will all us on these sites simply disappear?
Once the Conservative Christian Right rules the World, >

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 04:53 PM
link   
i cant help to laugh.bwahahahahahahaha.
why would this even matter to you unless you are viewing pages not deamed legal in the first place huh???

2nd of all....within how many page views does yahoo get per day, does it even matter why. they arent gonna show up at your door and say,"yes mr.soansso, we have the info on you that you went to blahblahblah website." It's not gonna happen. nd i think this topic needs to be locked.

(Mod edit-please see your u2u)

[edit on 15-1-2006 by asala]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 05:21 PM
link   
FBI=Fabulously Bad Investigator !
I smell a noob here
It's all good though!
I think this is a great site!
People get to come here and air out what bugs them and put there 2 cents in. Some times all you need to do is just take a little of your rights away in a very small manner. Over time if you just site there and just go who cares, they just wont something small, you in up with not a leg to stand on. It is for the most part a little paranoid but at lest he is asking why are they doing this

P.S. I have seen the real "paranoid" They would not get near a computer to save there lives

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 05:04 PM
link   
They track me very well, I received this email from [email protected] in my inbox.

Dear Sir/Madam,

we have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites.

Important:
Please answer our questions!
The list of questions are attached.

Yours faithfully,
Steven Allison

++++ Central Intelligence Agency -CIA-
++++ Office of Public Affairs
++++ Washington, D.C. 20505
++++ phone: (703) 482-0623
++++ 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., US Eastern time

Nah, I know it is spam sent all over the intarmail, no need send me oranges to federal prison.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufia
They track me very well, I received this email from [email protected] in my inbox.

Dear Sir/Madam,

we have logged your IP-address on more than 30 illegal Websites.

Important:
Please answer our questions!
The list of questions are attached.

Yours faithfully,
Steven Allison

++++ Central Intelligence Agency -CIA-
++++ Office of Public Affairs
++++ Washington, D.C. 20505
++++ phone: (703) 482-0623
++++ 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., US Eastern time

Nah, I know it is spam sent all over the intarmail, no need send me oranges to federal prison.

I hope you have a good antivirus program or that you didn't open that attachment because it's a virus. A friend of mine got the same email and opened the attachment and his computer went out of control. It started sending out hundreds of emails and it then wouldn't let him update his antivirus definitions.

top topics

join