It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

City considers ‘red-tagging’ problem houses

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I dont know about the other laws that deal with this problem but there are many communities that condemn this sort of obnoxious behaviour by their own guidelines and community partnership. Like for example in the place where my parents live right now "ejected" a family that wasnt "congruent" with the community in general. Now that sounded wierd to me because the family wasnt what the community consisted of-in this case mostly white folk with their Jags. Anyway the "incongruent' family was forced to move by the community even though they wanted to stay and it was perfectly legal too. So if that is possible for some communities then i think we should have it for more communities.
Civil liberty is all good but what about your right to have a decent sleep or quiet when you want it ?? The power should be with the communiteis i feel and the police should merely enforce the communities wishes.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
As a person who was a product of a college house I can honestly see why this is a problem for a city. Our college house had 5 to 7 college guys living in it at any time. Parties every weekend with 40+ other idiots. Loud music constantly. People screaming and yelling at anytime of the day or night. The police were always circling the house. We threw furniture that we didn't want anymore out into the street where other people would burn it. The house was condemned by the city about a dozen times. We threw bags of trash up onto the roof. There was a time when every single window in the house was cracked or broken. We would run our cars into each other like a game in front of the house. We tore out a wall with some sledgehammers because we wanted to join two rooms to make a bigger main party room. The neighbors constantly complained and the more complaints that came in the more obnoxious the house became. Looking back anyone living near that home had to be living in absolute hell. Now that I own my own house I think I would kill anyone who acted like we did back then, but we were kids in college and it was fun to us at the time.

[edit on 15-1-2006 by zerotime]

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 08:36 PM
link   
If you don't disturb your neighboors then you have nothing to worry about, or that is what those that disrespect privacy would have you believe(remember the phrase "If you got nothing to hide then you got nothing to worry about with Warrentless wiretaps").

Noise laws can be used to harass your neighbors, I know it happened to me for a period of 3 years when I was a teenager and liked to crank my music a bit(BEFORE 11 PM which is when the noise laws come into effect, but the fact is if someone calls the cops on you for making too much noise(IN THEIR OPINION) they HAVE to show up, but all the cops could say is to ask me to turn it down(it ended up to be a bit of a joke after a while, even started offering the cops some coffie when they made their weekly visits
)) My thinking is that this can and will be abused by people with an axe to grind with their neighbors. Play music with a window open, you gotta red tag. Have a family gathering in the back yard you could get a red tag.

And finally this law will not deter or embarress hardcore partiers/ganstas who have no regard for anybody except themselves. They would probably joke about it and use it as a status symbol saying "Red Tagged houses throw the best parties" I can see how this can actually compound the problem in some cases.

[edit on 15-1-2006 by sardion2000]

[edit on 15-1-2006 by sardion2000]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join