Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Bush Authorized Domestic Spying Before 9/11

page: 1

join

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Bush Authorized Domestic Spying Before 9/11

The National Security Agency advised President Bush in early 2001 that it had been eavesdropping on Americans during the course of its work monitoring suspected terrorists and foreigners believed to have ties to terrorist groups, according to a declassified document.

The NSA's vast data-mining activities began shortly after Bush was sworn in as president and the document contradicts his assertion that the 9/11 attacks prompted him to take the unprecedented step of signing a secret executive order authorizing the NSA to monitor a select number of American citizens thought to have ties to terrorist groups...

The NSA's vast data-mining activities began shortly after Bush was sworn in as president and the document contradicts his assertion that the 9/11 attacks prompted him to take the unprecedented step of signing a secret executive order authorizing the NSA to monitor a select number of American citizens thought to have ties to terrorist groups...

The NSA's domestic surveillance activities that began in early 2001 reached a boiling point shortly after 9/11, when senior administration officials and top intelligence officials asked the NSA to share that data with other intelligence officials who worked for the FBI and the CIA to hunt down terrorists that might be in the United States. However the NSA, on advice from its lawyers, destroyed the records, fearing the agency could be subjected to lawsuits by American citizens identified in the agency's raw intelligence reports...

More...

This article is a fascinating read!!!

What is most troubling is why Bush wanted to pursue this strategy so quickly...in advance of the 911 attacks!

If much of the information in this article is true, I don't see how Americans could stand for what most agree (including the NSA) now appears to be a violation of law.

There is much to read in the article. The temptation to quote more was great. Read it thoroughly and you be the judge.

[edit on 14-1-2006 by loam]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Could it be that they are selfaware that they are a corrupt Government and they produce enemies that they need protection from?

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 05:45 AM
link   
He wasted no time. The boob is a wartime president, wanted war, foresaw war, made the war in his own image. Terrorists have been following him around since he was a kid, dont you know...? Sicko.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:04 AM
link   

www.truthout.org...

Still, one thing that appears to be indisputable is that the NSA surveillance began well before 9/11 and months before President Bush claims Congress gave him the power to use military force against terrorist threats, which Bush says is why he believed he had the legal right to bypass the judicial process.

Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive...

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
He wasted no time. The boob is a wartime president, wanted war, foresaw war, made the war in his own image. Terrorists have been following him around since he was a kid, dont you know...? Sicko.

Let us not forget 900 "illegal" FBI files in the hands of "hillary" and an ex-bouncer in a club. Let us not forget Hoover............

Bush41 was head of the CIA during Nixon. Father son chats?

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by thermopolis

Originally posted by dgtempe

Let us not forget 900 "illegal" FBI files in the hands of "hillary" and an ex-bouncer in a club. Let us not forget Hoover............

Bush41 was head of the CIA during Nixon. Father son chats?
To be honest with you, i dont know what Hillary had...I do know those father and son chats, and like its been said many times before, he's doing it all for the love of dad. This nation would be a rogue nation in constant war if we are to have each president hand down their "intelligence"- The truth is in the receipts for arms we sold our then friends.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 09:21 AM
link   
This has been going on for the better part of 50 years and can hardly be called a Bush operation as the article claims. A simple search on the word "echelon" provides this informative result:

Echelon

IMHO one should attempt to find less obviously biased links, government conspiracy - yes. Bush conspiracy - no

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 09:55 AM
link   
What makes Bush so very special is that he's willing to take any itty bitty loophole and use it as an opportunity for attack. Against any target: Americans or humankind in general, doesn't matter.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
What makes Bush so very special is that he's willing to take any itty bitty loophole and use it as an opportunity for attack. Against any target: Americans or humankind in general, doesn't matter.

Depends on whether or not one agrees with a presidents actions - in every conflict since time began there are supporters and dissenters - kind of makes for a six one way half a dozen another way argument though.

The thing is - without exception no modern US president has been without some kind of overt/covert military or clandestine action sometime during their presidency.

I don't think Bush is as special as you do, they've all had their hand at influencing other countries affairs.

The assertion that Bush is the one and only President to use available elint is shown to be false and misrepresentative in light of easily obtainable information.

The red herring here is that had Bush failed to use elint and this country were to suffer an attack, the very same folks trying to make this into a "Bush is evil" type subject would be the very same folks complaining the loudest that Bush did nothing in the face of an attack.

Ya just can't have it both ways.

[edit on 14-1-2006 by Phoenix]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

I don't think Bush is as special as you do, they've all had their hand at influencing other countries affairs.

Are there any that have gone this far, this fast?

Serious question - I do know it's an old game.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix

Real simple and just as serious, did Truman really need to incinerate hundreds of thousands or would Japan have capitulated soon anyway. IMO from what I've read that was pretty far pretty fast just to prove a point to the Russians.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Lincoln had reporters that reported against him put in jail and suspended habeas corpus, Roosevelt had American Citizens put in camps because of their race....

There have been many others that have done worse than scan calls for call patterns that might identify agents of foreign powers in the US.

new topics

join