It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

price of gasoline is always $X.xx 9/10

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I hope I put this in the right forum? I wasn't sure if this should go hear or in peak oil, but it's not really about "peak" oil.

I have noticed that no matter what the price of gasoline is (in the US for you foreign ATS users) its always 9/10ths of a cent. For instance the price will be $2.50 9/10 per gallon, and $2.50 is what is advertised, but if you look carefuly there will be a 9 or a 9/10 in small print on the sign. I know lots of things gets priced like $199 or $19.99 to trick people into thinking its less than it really is, but I never really noticed gasoline being priced like this.

I have been thinking about this, and how many people out there just never realize this little fact, and think gas is $2.50 per gallon when it's really more like $2.51. Now I know you might think it's no big deal, but think about how much extra money is made every day when millions of gallons get sold

I have also noticed that when you pump gas you can get the price to a certain point like $20.00 for instance, but you can still squeeze a few on hundredths of a gallon more before it registers $20.01. This one made me thing even more than the pricing; because I bet lots of people pump $20 of gas, and leave a few hundredths of a gallon in the pump, but still pay for it. Again I have to wonder how much extra $$$ is made from gas basically being sold and not actually pumped.

Has anyone else noticed this? and if so what do you think about it?

If you haven't noticed take a look the next time you drive by a gas station.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 10:47 AM
link   
ask.yahoo offers these reasons:
ask.yahoo.com...

Here's one:

Theories abound, but none are definitive. The Mail Tribune newspaper in Medford, Oregon, quotes Craig Randolph, an oil company's V.P. of retail operations. He says the nine-tenths of a cent is just a marketing gimmick that likely begun during the 1970 "gas wars." Over the years, it became the standard.

join