It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEATH METAL= Violence?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by shane84

+1 point for taking the words right out of my mouth.
+2 points for mentioning an extremely underrated band. Nicely done.

Yes, it's VERY ignorant to say that all death metal is about violence, or that it promotes it. Take Carcass for example, very thought-provoking and well-constructed lyrics on their last couple of albums. The first few were rather gorey, however they have stated themselves that they do not promote violence. They just attack the shocking reality that none of us want to face. Nobody want's to know that when they die, they're going to be cut open and observed. Nobody likes to think that they'll just become a number in a database after death. Nobody wants to think that their bowels will be evacuated, and they will simply become wormfood. Nobody wants to think about this stuff, but Carcass throw it out there front and center. However, not once have I heard them say anything even remotely regarding "Killing" someone. Except one line in Cross my Heart.

"Put me on a pedastool, I'll put you on a slab"
and that's it.

Also, the band you're talking about is often referred to (and more accurately so) as Black Metal. That's a whole different ball-game.

I also agree with the point about it being due to people's poor self-control. There's a thrash song I always listen to when I'm feeling like I need to kill someone. the song is appropriately titled Murder Fantasies. Does it make me want to go out and tear someone's throat out or something? No, it just helps me vent. It helps me feel like I have, without actually having to do it. Different being, I can tell right from wrong and most people can't.

Most incidents like the columbine incident can often be traced back to the people around them. However, nobody wants to own up to anything, so they immediately blame the music.

Also, it was Marilyn Manson they blamed for Columbine, who is far from Death Metal.

posted on Mar, 5 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
This is a very interesting thread and there are a lot of top class opinions on this. I really do think that it has something to do with the vulgar lyrics in death metal that makes people do crazy things I also believe the same about any kind of music, its the message you put across in your music and because your fans look up to you they aspire to be you in some cases thinking well if he/she is singing about murder, rape or eating the brains a fellow human I want to do that to! I also believe the same for some rap music people looking up to there musical hero’s and trying to be them so …they do crazy things.

I used to play in a death metal band and the scene was pretty aggressive, well the gigs consisted of the fans battering each other to a bloody pulp. Some of the people I knew including some of my band members were really aggressively natured aswell. That brings it to the question is it the music that makes the fans and artists doing crazy things or is it the aggressive by nature artists who write death metal music as an emotional outlink?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienBassist

You are so wrong it's ridiculous. Anyone who is so impressionable that they would think that after hearing lyrics has problems unrelated to whatever music they listen to. It's widely known and accepted that any gore/rape/whatever lyrics should be taken as seriously as a b grade horror movie.

Mosh pits are a good way to release energy, but not for the sake of being violent. You could possibly liken moshing to playing aggressive contact sports.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Well i have mixed views on this. First i like all metal. Would i kill someone for fun because i was listning to death (or any) metal, no.
I heard the other night that country music causes more suicides than any other music. No uproar about that?
i also heard, years ago that rock music caused homosexuality in lab rats. i am to lazy to find it so i guess do your own homework if intrested.
In all music is about feellings...i turned to metal in a hard time. i was full of anger. i believe in some twisted minds yes music can take over and turn someone to violence, but is it metals fault no.
I feel like I am rambling so i will quit.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join