It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DEATH METAL= Violence?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Theres about that death metal encourges Violence even not intengoly buy the listener simply goes wako and the parents,media,govt etc blame it on the music they listend to I.E the columbine shootings were "caused because the 2 shoters listend to Marylin manson" supposedly

I recently herd a story that a norwegian lead singer for a heavy death metal band (remeber norway and finland is where death metal came from) eat yes EAT his base player!!

Well i looked it up and found this..
www.wayoflife.org...

Aarseth replied with complete lack of concern, "Yeah, Dead killed himself." Aarseth made necklaces with the skull pieces and cooked some of the brain and "ate it so he could claim himself to be a cannibal"

Death Metalist drummer Bard Eithun of the group Emperor is in prison for brutally murdering a homosexual with a knife for no reason other than the lust of killing. That was in August 1992. He stabbed the man 37 times. A fellow band member of the Death Metal group Emperor said Eithun had been fascinated with serial killers for a long time. The day after the murder, Eithun participated in a church burning.

The members of the German Death Metal group Absurd, composed of three high school students (Hendrik Mobus, Sebastian Schauscheill, and Andreas K.), murdered a 15-year-old classmate in April 1993. The group also called themselves "Children of Satan." Band leader Hendrik Mobus stated in an interview that we are at "the dawn of the New Aeon, when Christendom will perish and a neo-heathen state will arise

IT GOES ON

So was it the music that made these people go mad in the head or was it just people looking for someone/thing to blame?

--BTW i like death metal

mod edit:
Added external quote tags, reduced quote amount and removed mass ''bolding''

Quote Reference (review link)
Posting work written by others. **ALL MEMBERS READ** (review link)

ABOUT ATS: General ATS discussion etiquette (review link)

2) Use the bold function sparingly. Use it to highlight important thoughts and not entire posts.

[edit on 16-1-2006 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Well, Im distrubed. If you ask me music is suppsoed to soothe and realax you. I never got Death Metal. I mean it always gave me a headache. I can understand people being a little out there and thinking that death is all cool and stuff but as for the music causeing things? well I mean it obviously influences you. If I am to state that classical music relaxes me (which it does) no one will question it. If i am to say that Death Metal can make people want to get up and beat things you look at me like Im crazy.

Flip the coin.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I don't like death metal, but I think it would only influence violence if the person were already prone to violence. And you must be careful when quoting a selective few from any group of people - there are normal people and wacko people in every group.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Honestly as a metal fan I think Varg and the rest of those involved were just going to such lengths as a means of garnering attention for themselves. After all the Black Metal scene is about as extreme as you can get so its a contest to one-up each other all the time jockeying for the top position. I've rocked out to Cryptopsy, Immortal (does the so-called 'corpse paint'), Vader and various others yet I haven't pulled the trigger on anyone yet nor have I consumed anybodys brains or made anything out of their bones.

To me it seems people pick music that they can connect or identify with, somehow establishing a link between what they feel inside and the sounds, rythym, and lyrics of the music. So is it really muisic influencing people or are they just finding something that sounds on the outside how they feel on the inside?

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Its the same as asking if films provoke violence.

The answer of course is that they dont, films are used as an excuse by a society that doesnt like to think it has monsters in its midst, and the same applies to silly Norewgian bands.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I have to agree with alternateheaven. There are stories that hip-hop makes you more idiotic. Don't think that I like rap/hip-hop, but I have yet to see results on either idealistic theory. This is just an effort of propoganda to stop music that certian people don't like, nothing more.

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I think the name of the genre...say sit all......DEATH.....

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Seems to me that some ppl take the lyrics in death metal too seriously, i listen to death metal because i like the guitar riffs and also the grunts.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I dont think Death metal makes people violent I think that people who listen to death metal just are violent in nature and like that kind of music.:bash:

posted on Jan, 25 2006 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by daedalas
I dont think Death metal makes people violent I think that people who listen to death metal just are violent in nature and like that kind of music.:bash:

Lol =P

Black and death metal lyrics are usually exaggerations to prove a point, often anti-christian values. I listen to mostly these genres and am not more violent that the rest of you

posted on Feb, 1 2006 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Well for one thing Marilyn Manson is far from Death Metal. Goth metal yes, but not Death, as far as I can see Death Metal is all metal bands that seems to gurgle out the lyrics in a inaudible manner.

I like metal, hard metal, goth metal,but I dont like Death metal because of that fact. I don't think listening to it would make anyone spontaeously wan't to mass murder or have a sudden urge to eat human brains. That said, it does pump you up into a psyked up manner (more in the way you wan't to just rock out to the tunes, not be violent, unless of course you are already in that state).

posted on Feb, 5 2006 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I think that the use of Death Metal as a rational behind violent crime is just an excuse. If one was not violent in nature before listening to Death Metal, then, IMHO, they would not be more inclined to commit violent acts. Yes....I am a new convert to the Death Metal genre, and I love it. Do I understand some of it? Nope....That's why I look up the lyrics and I can figure out what they are saying from said lyrics. It gives my parents headaches to listen to most of the Death Metal bands that I listen to, but my brother loves it.

Also, believe it or not, Norma Jean (formerly Luti-Kriss) is actually considered Christian rock.

Personally, it gets me pumped up and ready to run or lift weights (or whatever) when I am feeling quite disinclined.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 05:33 AM
link   
i think the music is not the problem, the problem is people. if the idea of killing exist his/her mind already, then what can you do about it?

when he/she hear lyrics about killing,rape,violence,beat,fight, of course, the lyrics effect him/her.

there are lots of exemples of acting violence after listen metal, but theese exemples can't signify metal is the guilty one.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Black metal and death metal are two very different things that offen get confused. black metal on the whole is much more melodic while death metal tends to be faster and heavyer. The lyrics are also very different black metal is the genre with "satanic" lyrics where as death metal is more brutal violence, case and point cannibal corpse.

i hope that clears some things up.

p.s marlin manson is a show pony peddled by the major labels to make angsty 14 year olds think they are different when they are funding the same mainstream companies they claim to hate....the irony is delicious

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Black metal and Death metal may cause people to do some implausible and violent actions but usually only those who are incompetent of controlling themselves or too immature to know what they are doing. I listen to black and death metal yet here I am still perfectly sane.

I know that some emo's actions are heavily influenced by the music they listen to but that is predominantly because they see it as a pretty much fashion to do what they do.

The only way that murders could come about in today's society and be directly influenced by death metal is if one was dim-witted enough to take the lyrics seriously. I mean who could possibly take lyrics like these seriously...

Cannibal Corpse – Nercropedophile
“Sick thoughts run through my head as I stare
At the dead, over and over, I can't escape
I begin the dead sex, licking her young, rotted orifice
I cum in her cold #, shivering with ecstasy”

Only the insane and juvenile minded

The insane deserve to be locked in a solitary room in a psychiatric ward and the immature need to grow up and actually use their minds instead of being so god damn narrow minded

=P

Vincent

posted on Oct, 31 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Well, this question could be dicussed in more depth but just for the question: Death Metal=Violence, I would have to say true.

This is because for the simple thing as mosh pits. Any death metal or any kind of metal for that matter concert you go to, there are people moshing which cause harm to other people. In other words violence. I know they don't intentionally harm people but you still do. So yes, metal causes violence.

You don't see mosh pits at an opera or a country concert.

posted on Nov, 2 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Metal of any kind is an outlet to vent your frustrations or anger. These emotions aren't to be suppressed or looked down on, they are natural occurrences to all of us. If you can find a place where you can be within your emotions thats all that matters.

Those who commit crimes cannot attribute their actions to sounds coming out of a cd player or an iPod. The human psyche is much more complex then to be able to point at a certain thing to put the blame. Personally I think rap's lyrics are worse than metal's but that doesn't stop me from listening to either genre.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Text Blackreply to post by MegaBears

Still death metal is just entertainment there not telling people to kill each other

like come on

jazz is all about sad stuff and you dont see them all doing suicide

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaBears
Well, this question could be dicussed in more depth but just for the question: Death Metal=Violence, I would have to say true.

This is because for the simple thing as mosh pits. Any death metal or any kind of metal for that matter concert you go to, there are people moshing which cause harm to other people. In other words violence. I know they don't intentionally harm people but you still do. So yes, metal causes violence.

You don't see mosh pits at an opera or a country concert.

Mosh pits are present at any metal concert regardless of what style is being played. Mosh pits are a way to release the energy which the music brings. Besides, most people up the front are not moshing, theyre headbanging and there's a big difference.

Anyway, as usual, most people have got it wrong. Saying that death metal incites violence is just as stupid as saying action and horror movies incite violence. It's no secret that the majority of death metal bands do focus their lyrical content on violence and gore, but so what? People look at gore on the internet, people make movies featuring gore, and yep, musicians make music about gore but it's nothing more than twisted fantasy or for shock value.

That being said, it's also incredibly ignorant to state that death metal is only about violence. There are plenty of bands who focus their lyrics on other subjects including and not limited to spirituality, physics, mythology, the occult and other dark subjects. There are also bands who send a positive message. Here's some lyrics from one of my favorite death metal bands, Lykthea Aflame;

"
Any negative emotion as a response
for stimulus from envirous arisen in us
show us that we are still within power
of superficial dimension and teach us

Let's learn

As the Sun for the Earth let's become salavation
let creatures flower
and shine under the touches of beautiful energy
Perhaps it can't be seen
but they are starving and thirsty; they're eager

As a mirror light let's reflect negativity
and show pure reality
let's become the islands of peace and harmony
in that vast ocean of discomposure and disharmony

and let the tired ones rest
"

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE

All right WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE, or whatever, you have SEVERAL facts wrong. For one, death metal's origins are considered to be in the band Death, which is from Florida (which is NOT in Norway or Finland). Black metal is rooted in Scandinavia. But death metal does not make people more violent, that is a complete asinine suggestion. That's like saying that country makes people more depressed because of the content of the lyrics. Some will. Some won't. That's human nature. The whole "metal is violent" discussion is #ing stupid. I see mosh pits were brought up. These are not violent, they are a way to let out energy, as true etiquette means that you are supposed to help someone up if they fell, or just take care of your fellow people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join