It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No child left behind: THE TEST (USA)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Wait.

I am sorry to have to point this out, but if a school fails as a whole, they do not automatically have to allow the option for an immediate transfer. This is a snip from a site that doesn't deal specifically with NCLB, but still makes the point:

A school that fails to make AYP for two consecutive years is labeled "in need of improvement." Those that receive federal Title I funds – funds allocated to schools that serve a requisite number of low-income students – face sanctions that increase over time.

After two years, sanctioned schools must give parents the choice of sending their children to another school in the district, with transportation costs paid out of Title I dollars. After five years, a school faces "corrective action." After seven years, a school must be "restructured," with options including state take-over, conversion to a charter school, management by a private company, or other unspecified "major restructuring"

Be sure to research everything before posting.

That being said, my kids are suffering as well from this ridiculous law. They are doing so well that two of them have transferred out for a gifted program. They are so bored by the curriculum becasue it is so easy. My eldest child requires a translator in the classroom, because more than half of them do not speak Enligsh. The translators are allowed to remain in the classroom to "interpret" the questions for the child.

Anyway, I would rather see Clinton back in office than deal with this "child nuturer" ever again.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Funny thing is about the "Williams sisters questions" is that they made a bunch of shopmores in high school in Ohio take a "stats test" for the OGT, the new "high school and middle school proficeny test". And I only got it right, because my family likes celeb gossip. I do think the profincey test is kinda stupid. Because most people who went to public school, didn't learn anything unless, they studied in their spare time while going to school.

I don't like Bush or the current congress, because the wars on "Drugs", etc. are illegal and break the Bill of Rights and the preamble to the Constitution, and therefore allow the public to impeach most of these people legally. Sadly, most people are aware of this, but no one knows how to put "Bushwad" in his place.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:15 PM
link   
For crying outloud... Can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add a reading comprehension test to ATS PRIOR to signing up and force all current member's to take this test so we can get rid of the few who are clueless?

Reading comprehension has NOTHING to do with the fact IF you know the content of the text! No, the people who didn't learn anything in public school didn't PAY ATTENTION. Failed to do they're work. Didn't care. Too busy socializing. Too hooked up on drug's. And no, this doesn't apply to JUST public school system's either.

The point of readin comprehension is *you MAY not KNOW the answer BUT CAN you DEDUCE the answer by the given CLUES in the content of the text* . Has NOTHING to do with knowing anything about tennis, or about the william sister's or about shrew's or about the mating rituals of the dung beetle.

For those still in school voicing there opinions on this topic. Awwwwwwwwwwww. You poor guy's. Of course your gunna say thumbs down. WE ALL DID in school. Everyone hated test's and school. Except thoe nerdy kids with those dorky glasses that got picked on all the time. Point is.... PAY THE DAMN ATTENTION! Stop trying to pin the blame on Bush, has nothing to do with him and I hate the guy! It's about your damn education! TAKE IT SERIOUSLY! And if you don't know the answer to the two question's posted in this article, then you don't deserve to graduate.

Don't mean to come off as rude, but damn... some people.

[edit on 14-1-2006 by Produkt]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Produkt
The point of readin comprehension is *you MAY not KNOW the answer BUT CAN you DEDUCE the answer by the given CLUES in the content of the text* .

And the questions relate to things that rich kids DO know the answers to - so they look real smart although they have deduced F-all.

Sheesh. Some people just can't THINK.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Uh... you took the liberty to quote that and yet THAT was your best answer?

What part of duh are you having trouble with?

What would be your best example for lower class people huh? Something with crack pipes, joint's, xbox? As another commentor said, what are we supposed to do, dumb down america?

What you just posted as your answer just show's the point that I'm trying to say. People don't UNDERSTAND what reading comprehension is!

I'll say it again. YOU MAY NOT KNOW THE ANSWER BUT CAN YOU FIGURE IT OUT BY THE GIVEN CLUES IN THE CONTENT OF THE TEXT?

Are you still having trouble grasping the simple concept of this definition?

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:38 PM
link   

People don't UNDERSTAND what reading comprehension is!

I'll say it again. YOU MAY NOT KNOW THE ANSWER BUT CAN YOU FIGURE IT OUT BY THE GIVEN CLUES IN THE CONTENT OF THE TEXT?

So the rich kids have all the answers while the poor kids need to follow clues - but the test is supposedly testing the same things in both populations? It's inconsistent and contradictory.

Are you still having trouble grasping the simple concept of inconsistence?

Methinks you doth protest waaayyyyy too much. And make very much of just few paltry facts.

Hang in there though. Might be still be some fools around who buy it.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Rouschkateer -

After seven years, a school must be "restructured," with options including state take-over, conversion to a charter school, management by a private company, or other unspecified "major restructuring"

There you have it - testing as strategy to create the rationale - and the agenda to dismantle public education, right along with the Constitution.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
what if the question was about footbal, baseball, basketball, mating rituals of the dung beetle, astronomy, sex, how beer is made, etc...

You can choose as many examples as you want, but all you've shown is how the feeble minded can't grasp one simple concept and thus have to resort to bashing and insulting someone else for they're own inadequatecies.

All we're left with is the same simple thing I've been trying to drill into your head. The definition of readin comprehension. Now your either choosing to not listen or your problem is your one of those who don't understand what it is.

It's really not that hard folk's.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 06:57 PM
link   

the feeble minded can't grasp one simple concept and thus have to resort to bashing and insulting someone else for they're own inadequatecies.

All we're left with is the same simple thing I've been trying to drill into your head. The definition of readin comprehension. Now your either choosing to not listen or your problem is your one of those who don't understand what it is.

It's really not that hard folk's.

* Pots ought not to call kettles black.

* People who can't spell should not take arrogant stances with respect to reading comprehension; ie., it's inadequacies NOT inadequatecies.

* And you Produkt, have neither right nor reason to suggest anyone other than yourself is feebleminded, inadequate, and lacking in the most basic ability to comprehend simple concepts.

...You need to take a chill pill, and try to get a grip.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Aww, sowwy if my spelling and grammar aren't that great. My common sense is better then your's though.

But like I said, when you don't know how to respond you resort to bashing and insulting. All the meanwhile not one example you felt was acceptable. No refuting of changing the topic used in reading comprehension. The complete ignoring of the definition of what reading comprehension is.

Atleast I admit my spelling SUCKS and my grammar is horrible. I still grasp the concept's your failing to understand or simply refuse to understand. That's what seperate's us. Not my spelling.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Produkt, concidering how much trouble posters have trying to get you to 'comprehend' the clear and simple points they raise with you on alot threads, it tickles me that you're hammering this line of 'debate'.

As Soficrow clearly pointed out (well, clear enough for me to 'comprehend') a child familier with the world of tennis, would know the answer, WITHOUT deducing, through comprehension of written text, and so "appear to be better" at reading comprehension.

I found, the 'beginning of the end' of public education, was when poor people worked hard and earned those limited doctor and lawyer places at University, ahead of the 'thin brained', silver spooners.
This brought the 'wrong class' of people out and among the elite, and they 'reported back' to their own, what really went on, under the lie going by the name, 'democracy', as well as having the qualification to have their views taken seriously.

So yes, I for one can see both the conspiracy and eugenics aspect of this post. O.K, I'm one of those who always has another question to add to accepted answers, but isn't that an intellectually healthy attitude to have, rather than to, "lock, load and shoot off" standard, mass produced though "carefully" (as opposed to 'well') tested answers?

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:12 PM
link   
And as I pointed out the next question could be about football, could be about the mating rituals of the dung beetle, could be about the inner working's of higher brain function's.

It could be about something poor people know, it could be about something rich people would know. I could be something men would know more about or women would know about.

The damn point is it's not IF IF IF IF you know. It's about IF you can comprehend the damn text. And yes I do spend alot of time trying to make people prove their theories. Don't post thing as if they're a fact when you haven't got a damn shred of evidence to back it up. Don't post your evidence unless you've gone through it and are sure I can't use it against you and slap you around publicly with it. If your gunna say it you should be ready to back it up. If not, then what's the point in putting it on a DISCUSSION BOARD. I don't knock down everyone's idea's. Just those I strongly disagree with and those who failed to back up their claim's. Welcome to the internet kiddo.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I'm 100% with you Produkt, reading comprehension test your ability to COMPREHEND what you read. Any example could have these ridiculous arguments thrown at them, but they hold no merit becuase it is a comprehension question. Can you figure out an answer from the information GIVEN. The sad part is that because we are such a "politcally correct" most of the times these ridiculous complaints result in changes, not because they have merit, but because it shuts people up. The only thing that can solve the matter is no reading comprehension, becuase everything could have some silly, baseless, argument made like this. Without reading comprehension, well then we might as well just become a third world country.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:23 PM
link   
OMFG I LOVE YOU! That really brought a tear to my eye and took my headache away!!!

Your getting a vote babeh!

You have voted ajm4481 for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I haven't read everyones responses yet, but you must consider that this is an 8 year old who is being asked these questions, who may not know anything about "doubles tennis." I doubt I knew anything about doubles tennis when I was 8 years old.

This is what is BS about this question: It is the assumption that the child should know what "doubles tennis" is. For god's sake the child must first know the definition of "doubles tennis" before even being asked this question.

For some reason you are thought of as stupid by some people because you don't know the definition of a word or phrase, and that shure as hell isn't true. Maybe the word was just never looked up in a dictionary? How many kids do you know that are born with a large vocabulary?

And where schools are going wrong nowadays, I think, is the lack of dictionaries. You are going to have kids coming out of school with inadequate educations if you don't teach them how to use a dictionary. Part of the reason kids don't know what the heck is going on half the time, is the teacher is just piling them full of words that they don't understand. That's not education. And it's no wonder they fall asleep in class and hate school. And then these poor kids get labeled with ADHD and such non-sense.

Has anyone besides me noticed that kids are coming out of school not being able to read and write properly?

You cannot assume a person knows the definition of a word or phrase because "you yourself" know the definition. Sometimes the simplest of words can be misunderstood. And again, just because someone doesn't understand a word doesn't make them stupid.

Troy

[edit on 14-1-2006 by cybertroy]

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I just read through a couple of other sample questions on the test and it must be biased towards people who have seen talking chipmunks or bears wearing pants.

PBS - No Child Left Behind sample questions (reading)

Here are some of the sample math questions:
PBS - No Child Left Behind sample questions (mathematics)

I don't think the test is biased I think Greg Palast just picked a couple of questions that he could showcase as being biased.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   
It was a bad question. Doesn't necessarily make the test bad. The questions posted by Ace balance the issue somewhat, and I think it's safe to say we'd have to look over all the questions for ourselves to make a determination. One bad question does not a bad test make...

Produkt
You've consistently missed the point. Sofi's argument against biased questions is legitimate, and the fact that you can't recognize that is nobody's fault but your own. Your argument holds no water, as it appears to be nothing but a series of posts in which you insult your fellow members.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 08:21 PM
link   
No the argument wasn't legitimate as the whole argument was based on one god damn question about tennis and only those who knew about tennis would get it right.

Again, another commentor who fail's to understand what reading comprehension is. Christ I even posted the damn definition.

As pointed out, if the question was about something else, some people might know the answer other's wouldn't DESPITE what topic was used in the question. Still the whole POINT of reading comprehension is about if you can COMPREHEND the given text to deduce the damn answer. No one care's IF you already know the answer, that's not the whole point behind the test. There will be some who do and some who won't no matter what damn topic is used.

Let's say it together. READING COMPREHENSION

Now, from that phrase can someone please point out where it says DO YOU KNOW THE ANSWER?

Why do you people fail to COMPREHEND this? Is it really that god damn hard? Stay in school or go back.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, but people aren't even listening and are still stuck on the concept of tennis and only rich people would know the answer and woe is the poor people, they won't get it because they don't know what doubles tennis is. All the while they fail miserably to grasp what reading comprehension mean's despite my argument on it. It's not my fault, your right. I'm sorry if I do understand what reading comprehension mean's.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I just read through a couple of other sample questions on the test and it must be biased towards people who have seen talking chipmunks or bears wearing pants.

PBS - No Child Left Behind sample questions (reading)

Here are some of the sample math questions:
PBS - No Child Left Behind sample questions (mathematics)

I don't think the test is biased I think Greg Palast just picked a couple of questions that he could showcase as being biased.

Great links ace. Thanks for your good sense and research skills.

...and to you too WydreOne.

posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The definition of the word comprehension aside, I think I understand what the original poster meant to say.

Children's mentaility do not allow for them to realize "Oh, that's right. This is the reading comprehension part of the test; it doesn't matter if I know the words and what they mean or not."

Rather, they think "What the...? Double's tennis? What the heck is that? Did teacher go over that? Uh oh."

And then they guess from there. Unfamiliar words throw off the concenrtration of the child, regardless of the section is appropriately labeled comprehension or not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join