It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friday the Thirteenth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hold on to your hats, folks. Today is Friday the thirteenth.

A little background:

Friday the thirteenth is considered the unluckiest of days, unless you were born on Friday the thirteenth. If you were born on this day then Friday the thirteenth is your lucky day.

The origins of Friday superstitions are many. One of the best known is that Eve tempted Adam with the apple on a Friday. Tradition also has it that the Flood in the Bible, the confusion at the Tower of Babel, and the death of Jesus Christ all took place on Friday.

Long before the Bible was written, Friday was considered an important day. Primitive people set aside Fridays as a special time to worship their deities and ask them for good crops, health and happiness. Those who worked on this day were told not to expect "good luck" from the gods.

www.crystalinks.com...

Like many human beliefs, the fear of Friday the 13th (known as paraskevidekatriaphobia) isn't exactly grounded in scientific logic. But the really strange thing is that most of the people who believe the day is unlucky offer no explanation at all, logical or illogical. As with most superstitions, people fear Friday the 13th for its own sake, without any need for background information.

people.howstuffworks.com...

Friday the Thirteenth
Any Friday which falls on the thirteenth day of the month. Friday is the unluckiest day of the week for Christians, who believe that Christ was crucified on this day. They also believe the number thirteen to be unlucky because there were thirteen present at the Last Supper, so Friday the 13th is a double wammy. The superstition of thirteen actually goes back farther. In Norse mythology there were thirteen present at a banquet in Valhalla when Balder (son of Odin) was slain, which led to the downfall of the gods. Around 1000 B.C., Hesiod wrote in Works and Days that the thirteenth day is unlucky for sowing, but favorable for planting. Friday the 13th will happen between one and three times in any given year.

www.shagtown.com...

B. H. Brown, a Dartmouth professor of mathematics in the 30s, proved that the thirteenth is more likely to fall on a Friday than any other day of the week. (Brown, B. H. Solution to Problem E36. American Mathematical Monthly 40, 607, 1933.) Leap years are determined in a way which depends on the number of the year modulo 400. But in 400 years, including 97 leap years, there are exactly 20,871 weeks. Hence the calendar repeats every 400 years. In 400 years the thirteenth of the month occurs 4800 times, distributed among the different days of the week as follows:

Sunday 687
Monday 685
Tuesday 685
Wednesday 687
Thursday 684
Friday 688
Saturday 684

alumnus.caltech.edu...

Google Search

[edit on 2006/1/13 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Back in college - I remember one Friday the 13th looking up the origins of "why" it was "unlucky" - I can't remember the source, and this may only relate to the number 13 (not specifically Friday the 13th) - But basically it was saying that 13 is not an 'unlucky' number, but a VERY powerful number - and depending on how you used it, it could be very lucky OR unlucky.

Basically, if you used it for good or with good intentions, it would be lucky for you and vice-versa if used with bad intentions.

I have no real opinion on the day itself - just relating something I remember reading about "13".

There's nothing I wouldn't do today that I would do any other day of the month - It's never really bothered me or my family, it's actually been a pretty good number for us - I was born at 2:13 AM in room 213, my brother was 13 when I was born and his birthday is Sep 13th, My Grandmother had 13 children and I have 13 cousins from the other side of the family. My parents got married on Dec 13th and my first car, which was 13 years old when I bought it, lasted me for 13 years and I got my new car on the 13th.

Coincidence or conspiracy? You be the judge

P.S. read the second line of my Signature to see what my philosophy is about Friday the 13 (and many other things).

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Since we are on the topic, ill share a totally useless FACT with you:

If the first day of a new month falls on a Sunday, there will always be a Firday the 13th that month.

Go ahead, check it out.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Friday the 13th became known has unlucky, because that when the Catholic Chruch decide to "exterminate" the remaining Templars...imagine that the Catholic church turning on its own ??? well... i would never ....

Originally posted by paulthefourth

I have no real opinion on the day itself - just relating something I remember reading about "13".

There's nothing I wouldn't do today that I would do any other day of the month - It's never really bothered me or my family, it's actually been a pretty good number for us - I was born at 2:13 AM in room 213, my brother was 13 when I was born and his birthday is Sep 13th, My Grandmother .......

thats a sign of the Devil... get thee behind me Satan...than again... stay in front of me where I can see you

never mind me ... I'm just in a nut mood...the full moon affects my brain waves... specially when it is a Friday 13th Full Moon

[edit on 13-1-2006 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:17 PM
link   
From what I understand, in latin america is Tuesday the 13th that is an issue, which throws a wrench into the templar idea, imo.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I ordered a collection of 5 items for my office. 4 of them needed to be overnighted, and configured before use.
I needed:

1) a Dell laptop for my CEO's daughter, who's birthday is on Monday.

2) a new Laptop as a replacement for a dead one.

3) a tower for a new hire that will be in on Tuesday.

4) a new IP phone, also for the new hire.

5) and a new desktop for me (this is the one that can wait)

The two laptops were shipped to Texas, I'm in Rhode Island.
The tower I've been informed is on back-order. And the company that supplies the IP phones was having their company outing today. The desktop that I ordered for myself did come in, but I have to set it up for the new hire because her's won't be in soon enough. This machine, by the way, has a duel processor, 2gb of RAM, 200 GB HD, and a 16x DVD +/- RW.

I use what I experience first hand to judge things usually. Today is very unlucky.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 05:22 PM
link   
ACTUALLY its not a full moon. Although to the common observer it indeed is. It is still a "Waxing Gibbious" moon and is barely short of full.

Sorry to burst your bubble!

hehe

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mizar
ACTUALLY its not a full moon. Although to the common observer it indeed is. It is still a "Waxing Gibbious" moon and is barely short of full.

Sorry to burst your bubble!

hehe

well...she seemed pretty full to me last night when i was lookin' at it ... but full or not tottaly full...the effect has started ...

Originally posted by Nygdan
From what I understand, in latin america is Tuesday the 13th that is an issue, which throws a wrench into the templar idea, imo.

Could be ... but taking they were supposelly killed in France, I'm not sure if Latin America has the right part of the stoyr, anyways here is the story i read

Some scholars believe the belief of unlucky Friday 13 has an exact date of origin: Oct. 13, 1307. On that date, Philippe IV (le Bel) of France authorized the arrest of the members of a military and religious order popularly called the Knights Templar, charging them with various heresies and immoral practices.

Interestingly, the move was approved by Pope Clement V, in spite of the fact that the Templars had been pledged to obey only the pope's orders and were subject only to his authority.

Even today, questions remain about the Templars. Who were they really, and what was their mission? Why were they so violently persecuted in France and with the approval of a church they had pledged to defend? And what happened to the vast wealth they had apparently accumulated?

Most authorities agree on the basic history of the order. In the year 1118, a man named Hugues de Payen and eight companions presented themselves to the king of Jerusalem, which was then under Christian control, and pledged themselves, as the Order of the Poor Knights of Christ and the Temple of Solomon, to keep the roads and highways of the Holy Land safe, especially for religious pilgrims. The king was so appreciative that, according to authors Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincoln in their book "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" (Dell Publishing,1982, 1983), he moved them into a wing of his own palace, supposedly built on the foundations of King Solomon's Temple.

Even though nine warriors were not enough to perform the duties to which they were pledged, within a decade their reputation had grown to such an extent that Saint Bernard of Clairvaux declared they were the highest example of Christian values (Baigent, Leigh, and Lincoln). Membership spread across Europe and the Holy Land until they were one of the most powerful institutions of the Middle Ages.

The Templars, as they became known, lived under a rule quite similar to that of the Cistercian monks, composed by Saint Bernard, which swore them to poverty, chastity, and obedience. Eventually, Pope Innocent II issued an edict which placed them under allegiance only to the pope himself.

While individual Templars could not own wealth, the order itself became quite rich, both from donations and bequests and from the rule that members had to give away their possessions to the order when they joined. Because of this, the Templars possessed large tracts of land as well as money, often lending sums to kings and serving as intermediaries for merchants. The Templars are considered by many to be the creators of modern banking and the inventors of the check.

The Templars also enjoyed a reputation as diplomats. They were influential as go-betweens between the various European powers and between the Christian and Islamic world. They were also known for their breadth of knowledge in technology and medicine.

But mostly the Templars were most famous for their bravery (some say recklessness) in battle. The Templars were forbidden to retreat unless the odds against them were 3 to 1, and when Acre, the final Christian citadel in the Holy Land, finally fell to Muslim forces, the Templars remained to fight to the death while they allowed women and children to escape.

After the conquest of the Holy Land by Islamic forces, the Templars lost their main reason for existence, but continued to be a force in Europe. However, their wealth and power brought them many enemies, and reports of the Knights pledged to poverty leading debauched lives began to circulate. One of the proverbs repeated during that time was "to drink like a Templar."

Philippe IV reportedly owed large amounts of money to the Templars, and he feared their power, since their forces were greater and better equipped than his own, and since they owed allegiance only to the pope. Having purportedly murdered two popes to set up his own puppet on the throne of St. Peter, Philippe finally received approval to arrest the Templars on the above date. While the action was supposedly secret, the fact that the Templars did not resist suggests to some authorities they were aware of the coming persecution. In addition, the idea they were forewarned was strengthened by the fact that the vast wealth of the order was nowhere to be found.

Some authorities (Baigent, et al) suggest the treasure had been loaded onto 18 vessels at the Templar port of La Rochelle, and transported to a still unknown location. Others, such as Frank Sanello in "The Knights Templars: God's Warriors, The Devil's Bankers" (Taylor Trade Publishing, 2003), suggest the amount of Templar wealth had been exaggerated.

Suffering under cruel torture, many Templars confessed to crimes ranging from sodomy to spitting on the cross, but many of them recanted after the tortures ended. One of these was the Templars elderly Grand Master, Jacques de Molay, who was slowly roasted to death in 1314. As he died, he called on the king and the pope to join him before the thrown of Heaven to be judged for his death.

Within a month, the pope was dead. The king died within a year.

Nor did the supposed Templar curse end there. Many stories suggest de Molay's curse extended to later French kings. When Louis XVI was guillotined, it was reported a man ran to his body, dipped his hands in the king's blood, and, spattering it on the crowd, called out, "Jacques de Molay, thou art avenged."

While Templars were harassed in other parts of Europe, they did not suffer the same persecution as in France. Persecution in England was rather mild, and Scotland offered many Templars protection. Many scholars trace some of the ideas of Freemasonry to the influence of the Templars.

In Portugal, the Templars were renamed the Knights of Christ, and included among their membership explorers Vasco de Gama and Prince Henry the Navigator. And when Christopher Columbus, who was married to the daughter of a member of the Knights of Christ, sailed to the New World, he was under the white banner and red cross of the order.

And in Germany, the Teutonic Knights, who had been spawned by the Knights Templar, gave active assistance to a rebel monk named Martin Luther.

And at the Templar ruins in Languedoc, locals report strange lights and dark figures have been known to frequent the area when the thirteenth day of the month falls on a Friday ("The Templar Revelation," Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince, Touchstone, 1997).

[edit on 13-1-2006 by BaastetNoir]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:16 PM
link   
heres a cool funny link...it has a Friday 13th for every taste

Friday 13th

new topics

top topics

join