I was first going to start the thread to hear if there's any truth or fact behind the Urban Legend that David Copperfield sold his soul to the devil,
in exchange for his "magical powers", and cutting off part of his pinkie to show his devotion to Satan.
But then I thought about it a bit. Can you actually sell your soul to the devil?
1. First you need to believe that you actually have a soul.
2. Secondly you need to believe that the devil\Satan\Lucifer exists. Which is a bit controversial because if you believe in the devil, then you'll
probably believe in hell and everything that come with the package. I.e. who in his right mind is up for torture, pain and torment for the rest of
3. So you decide you want to sell your soul to the devil... How do you contact him? Is there a hotline to hell...? (Hope someone got that one...
4. OK, so you phone up the devil and he actually answers. Who says he wants to buy your soul? If you are a Christian (or one of the other religions),
then you believe that your God/god is your saviour. If not, then you are going to hell anyway. So in order for the devil to be up for the transaction,
then you must have a valuable soul to buy, right? Like, let's say the Pope. But then if the Pope decides to sell his soul to the devil, then he would
by definition not be a Christian anymore, i.e. the devil has claim to his soul anyway! Sounds like a catch 22...
5. Say you convince the devil that you have a soul worth buying, would the price be right? Would he buy your soul for $10,000,000? Or would you need
to negotiate the price? Would you end up paying with your soul and a left arm for $3,000,000 and the ability to charm any girl? And what's the
current going price for souls anyway?
6. OK, so you sold your soul and your left arm for a couple of greenbacks... You spend it all in a year, end up on the street, and realize that you
are now screwed. Can you go confess your sins before God/your god and you get your soul back? Or is there no turning back once you sold your soul, no
matter how much you pray or accept Jesus or one of the other gods as your Saviour?
To me it looks a bit over the top to try and sell your soul to the devil. He would be a fool to buy anyone's soul... (Dare I say that!?) To the
occultists: Is it really possible to sell your soul to the devil or any other being - human or non-human - for that matter?
Are there actually any records of people selling their souls to the devil? There's the legend of Faust or Faustus, that Fiddle player down in
Georgia, David Copperfield, a new entry on the list, David Blaine and then we saw it on the movie Bedazzled as well... To name but a few.
But where do all of these legends come from? Folklore or actual historic events? Any experts on this topic?