It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Please Help (APE-CUE music files)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I just got some music in the APE format. It came in a rar file and extracted giving me two files an APE and CUE. I need something to show and extract the music.

I'm at a loss, I searched Google and it said the APE file is loss-less compression of all the music files but I can't figure out how to get to them.

HAHAH loss-less...far from it for me, as of now I have lost it all.

Please...HELP!

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I searched and came up with a handful of stuff, through here .

A little more promising is www.monkeysaudio.com.... Apparently, they're the developers of the software that handles it, at least that's what I made out of it--a couple different sites talked about "APE, Monkey's Audio's Format". Anyways, their program is free and only about 4MB.

Hope that helps somehow.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Yes, that´s right.

You use that monkey program to convert to .wav if you need to burn it or whatever.

And there are filters available so you can listen to the .APE file through Winamp without converting the files to wav first.

edit to add: that cue file is for burning the .wav file to a cd with i.e. Nero. You need to convert the .ape file to .wav before the cue file will work.

[edit on 2006/1/13 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Thanks for the info, its much appreciated.

So when I convert the APE file to wav it will create separate songs right...not one big song with all songs in one wav file.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:49 AM
link   
All the songs will be within one big wav file. If you burn the .wav file using the .cue file, the songs will then be separated on the cd.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Oh so there is no way to concert it to individual mp3's directly from the APE file.

If I burned to cd and then recorded them with itunes would it have the artist and track names?

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:17 AM
link   
You can rip the songs from the cd afterwards with whatever program you use for that purpose (I don´t know iTunes). This is the only way (I think) to make separate .mp3 files from one big .ape file. You can convert the .wav file to .mp3 without burning the cd, but it will be just one big file. You will have to tag the mp3´s yourself after you´ve ripped them from the cd as there will be no tags.

Some ripping programs will tag the .mp3 for you as it makes them but you will have to enter some data first (album name, artist, and-so-on).

If you use Winamp then you can tag the .mp3 one by one when you listen to them.

Some programs are just for mp3-tagging and can tag groups of mp3-files in one go.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:25 AM
link   
The .ape files are basically compressed .wav files. They will have the same quality as .wav files (lossless), but they will require less space. Good for storing and when sending files if quality is a must and .mp3 files are not good enough. The ape thing is free and you can make .ape files yourself.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Ok I think I understand, thanks so much for taking the time to explain. What a pain, I mean I know its lossless compression but I would take a 320 kbps mp3 over this any day. I know all the die-hard music collectors are cringing about now but mp3 is good enough for me.

Anyway, thanks again.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Example:

Scenario: You have a lot of .wav files you want to store without sacrificing quality.

• 1. You compress them to .ape

• 2. You burn them to cd or dvd

easy

• posted on Jan, 14 2006 @ 02:33 PM
    link   
    if you do want to listen to the file try foobar2000 , a very neat audio player also with a burn option which burns the cue to cd straight away

www.foobar2000.org...

new topics

top topics

join