It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars, when will we get there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 09:50 AM
link   
When do you think we (humans) will reach Mars?
NASA's current space exploration plan:
One 2001 explorer (check)
Two 2003 explorers (check)
Orbiter 2005
Mobile laboratory 2007
Soil returned to Earth in 2012
www.cnn.com...

www.cnn.com...

Here's a new picture of Mars from Hubble:

Courtesy of
www.spaceflightnow.com...

What do you think?
Will we ever get there?
- Tass

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Off the history books I'd imagine we already went.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 10:02 AM
link   
And I would rather see the resources wasted on something where they would not be wasted,like making this planet better to live on,# mars,who cares??.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I personally think we've all ready been there, though maybe it hasn't been in recent years.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I dont think we've ever been there. I imagine that we will get there within the next 20 or thirty years. At the most we should get there before the end of the century.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 01:45 PM
link   
it depands on several things but I think as I like to see the space elevator build first we could get there pretty soon after the completion. Much quicker, in a bigger ship and with nuclear propulsion. if they start building it maybe around 2015-2020

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
Off the history books I'd imagine we already went.

LOL!! I was about to answer the same thing when I saw your post. I was gonna say "What makes you think we haven't been there already?"

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Well I also personally believe that we've already been there..but IF I to pick I'd say 2007-2008.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Never. Too costly, too pointless.

The moon's a much better bet unless you start looking at terraforming, which I believe is the thing we should be looking at long before sending costly, manned missions. I believe a manned mission to mars would achieve nothing, cost the same amount as many, many meaningfull scientific unmanned missions, and would be little more than a publicity stunt.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 06:32 PM
link   
So far...

the cost of the International Space Station is about 100 Billion dollars... and it's not even fully operational yet (in fact, it currently has less crewmen aboard then SkyLab did in the 70s). The shuttle fleet is inoperable and probably destined for moth balling as more and more of the shuttle's design flaws are paraded before the press.

The fact is that the american space program has run aground... And only a break from policy decisions made in the 1970s will get it moving again.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 06:40 PM
link   
And... as much as I hate to say it, I'd be willing to hold off on developing a new generation of manned spacecraft until some revolutionary technologies come to fruition.

Though I'm a big backer of space exploration, I'm also forced to say that NASA has made some major mistakes in the past few years... And, if anything, everything they are asking for right now (in regards to manned projects) will just result in a repeat of the last twenty years. The agency itself is flawed and needs a complete shakedown.... and, so, if I were a member of Congress, I would hold off on voting for funding of 'new' stuff until I was sure that such funds would not be mismanaged.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I think that to actually create the resources, money and machinery, it would take a collaboration of many of the great nations, together. The money isnt as much of the problem as it the need for many great minds located around the world.

In todays political environment, I see it very unlikey that any great countries would risk being involved in a project that would take complete and trusting associations within the world.

I expect it would be a full 7 to 10 year project, ONCE enough of the great developed countries agreed to act together (NWO?
) in a way that would be effective to all.

Right now there is too much war, dis-trust, financial instability, to even consider getting the thing off the ground.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I voted already been there, reason is a past here that points to what I believe Nuclear War,
Cydonia or is that a FACE and the Reality showing part of the Crown of life we lost, space travel. Strange is something in the Bible about the End being as the Beginning, and we seem headed towards a Nuclear War spoken of as Armegeddon, India and it's tales of flying machine's with weapons we may now have?

Michael

posted on Oct, 1 2003 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I think we could get to Mars NOW if we wanted to, but Nasa just doesn't receive enough funding to be able to go to Mars with a human on board. I know a lot of # is able to be done if it just had the proper funding.

posted on Oct, 2 2003 @ 10:02 PM
link   
i say within the next 5 to 15 years.

who

posted on Oct, 3 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I rememeber reading that a manned mission to mars would cost somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 billion dollars. The idea was that it would be a joint effort with money coming in from numerous governments. I dont think we have put people on the planet yet, but the same article said within 20 years it could be done.

top topics

join