It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bat Bomb

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
The History Channel did the coolest show a few weeks ago - Wierd Weapons of WWII.

We came up with this thing called the Bat Bomb. Inside the bomb are several platforms on which thousands of bats are in a forced hibernation. On each bat is a small napalm pellet with an unprimed 1/2 hour fuse. When the bomb is dropped, a parachute opens up and the outer shell of the bomb falls away. This exposes the platforms inside, which spread out and makes the bats fall down to the lower platform and wake up. Since they want to go back to sleep, they fly to the nearest nooks and crannies they can find, which triggers the 1/2 hour fuse on their napalm pellets.

This bomb was meant to drop over Japanese cities, which were made primarily of wood and bamboo at the time. The bats would get into the nooks and crannies of the buildings, the napalm would go off, and the place would torch.

They tested it on Dec 13 1945 at the Dugway Proving Grounds (US Army Base, Utah, USA) and it worked. They actually reconstructed a little Japance city they called (and still call) the Japanese Village. They got the green light to start making the bombs to drop on Japan in September 1946. However, during the first quarted of the year, their project was cancelled with no explanation.

They only realized later that August why the project had been cancelled... hint hint

[edit on 12-1-2006 by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Thats harsh, and a bit pointless. Napalm onto a wooden building would destroy it anyway, no need to get bats to go inside and do it.

I'm guessing by 'we' you mean the US, because if you are, your weapons makers are a bunch of psychopaths.

Bat Bombs? Gay Bombs? A-Bombs? Issues...........

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Thats harsh, and a bit pointless. Napalm onto a wooden building would destroy it anyway, no need to get bats to go inside and do it.

I'm guessing by 'we' you mean the US, because if you are, your weapons makers are a bunch of psychopaths.

Bat Bombs? Gay Bombs? A-Bombs? Issues...........

Gay Bomb? I've never heard of strapping bombs to gay people to blow up the Japanese.

I think the point of strapping the napalm to the bats is to spread a little bit of napalm over miles and miles, instead of using tons of napalm to do a little damage in one area.

Anyway, I hate war, but you have to keep in mind the desperate situation of WWII to get it over as quick as possible. WWII was probably the only 100% justifiable war we have entered into. Look at the figures of Midway Island, Guadalcanal, Okinawa, Iwo Jima... Look at the medical experiments that we found out AFTER the war that the Japanese were performing on Chinese, Koreans, and other Pacific Islanders. Yeah, the Bat-Bomb and Atomic Bomb are purely destructive inventions, but it was desperate times...

And a completely off-topic post.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Fair enough, they were desperate, but I still don't agree with the A-Bomb. Anyway, back on topic...........

Spreading a little bit of napalm over a large area is even worse! Countless civilian targets would have been hit. Further proof that the US only cares about their own gain. Even using a small amount of napalm does a considerable amount of damge.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 03:22 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ralph_The_Wonder_Llama

They tested it on Dec 13 1945 at the Dugway Proving Grounds (US Army Base, Utah, USA) and it worked. They actually reconstructed a little Japance city they called (and still call) the Japanese Village. They got the green light to start making the bombs to drop on Japan in September 1946. However, during the first quarted of the year, their project was cancelled with no explanation.

They only realized later that August why the project had been cancelled... hint hint

while this is quite interesting, i have just one little question for you:

the war was over in august 1945. why would they test this is dec 1945 and get a green light to use it it 46? think you'd better check your time-line here.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Taken in isolation, the use of atomic weapons against Japan certainly seems a brutal and unneccisary method of warfare. However, war does not occur in a vacume. (Darn hippies won't let us fight it in space!
)

The Japaneese war industry was not in a limited number of heavily built up factories, it involved the total population, gun making occured in practicly every backyard in the country.

The standard of the day was that your enemies population centers were legitimate targets. They typicly contained transportation hubs, industry, and most importantly, a massive supply of potential recruits.

The atomic bombs were NOT the most devastating attacks launched against any city during the war. More people died in the first night of fire-bombing Tokyo than either atomic attack. which actually brings this whole post back on topic, in that you don't need the added complexity of racks, forced hibernation, and hundreds of individual fusing devices when just packing and dropping incindiary devices is SO much cheaper and more reliable.

Thanks for sharing this tale of wierd weapons of WW2, creativity was certainly tapped into deeply for that war.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:05 PM
link   
holy crap that is a cool bomb.

it would not waste a bit of napalm b/c the bats would all fly to building and at least trees ...they all burn.

just for a little info on the A-bomb if you looked at the alternative it saved THOUSANDS of american lives b/c the alternative was a full invasion. do you have any idea the death rate for urban warfare back then??? its just a bomb if it wasnt droped so many more times that would have been droped on the citys as carpet bombing.

very neat gota love the H channel

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The Allies were already firebombing, and had been the entire war. The firebombing of Tokyo killed more people than both A-bombs combined. Incindiery bombing was responsible for huge numbers of casualties in Dresden, Tokyo, even in Nagasaki, and several other cities in Japan. The big reasons the A-bombs were considered so horrible was because it was only one bomb to get the same effect, and it lasted longer. Being hit by an incindiery is just as horrible a way to die as radiation sickness.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I give in, it does sound like a good idea actually. In war sacrifices must be made and if those that are being killed are making weapons that kill our men, so be it.

Still, bit harsh on the poor bats, they are cool little critters.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'm quite tempted to put a custom title up reading "Save a bat! Use a nuke."

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
That is by far the most strangest bomb ever devised...

I am at a loss for words. XD

posted on Jan, 15 2006 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kacen

i'd have to disagree. in my opinion, the strangest bomb ever devised was invented by vlad dracula. he took the corpses of bubonic plague victims and catapulted them over the walls of fortresses he was besieging, in the hopes of infecting the city. now thats strange, sick, and demented.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Biological weapons during seige warfare was relatively commen in the middle ages.

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700

i'd have to disagree. in my opinion, the strangest bomb ever devised was invented by vlad dracula. he took the corpses of bubonic plague victims and catapulted them over the walls of fortresses he was besieging, in the hopes of infecting the city. now thats strange, sick, and demented.

I've heard of that before, I still think the bat bomb is stranger.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 11:47 AM
link   

while this is quite interesting, i have just one little question for you:

the war was over in august 1945. why would they test this is dec 1945 and get a green light to use it it 46? think you'd better check your time-line here.

The war was over in Europe in 1945. Not in the Pacific. That ended in 1946 with the two A-bombs

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I've heard of that being done in other ancient civilizations. I never head of Vlad Dracul doing it. Was he the guy who started it? Maybe it only existed in the middle ages with the Castle concept... which coincides with Mr. Dracula.

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 12:37 PM
link   

The war was over in Europe in 1945. Not in the Pacific. That ended in 1946 with the two A-bombs

umm, no it wasnt. the war in europe ended in may of 45 and the war in the pacific ended on august 15 1945 with the a-bomb drops both occurring in august.

source

therefore as i mentioned before, your timeline is wrong. you need to check your facts.

[edit on 17-1-2006 by snafu7700]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I read somewhere that they were also exerimenting with a cat bomb, yes you heard correctly.
The idea was that cats would be slung under a plane with an explosive attached , to be used for anti-shipping. The theory being that once they were released, a cat will try to reach dry land, therefore guiding themselves to ships. The actually tried several live tests, but found tht the cats lost consciousness at such a high altitude.

The Dog mine is the only animal weapon that I know of which was used in combat. This was a Soviet invention, whereby a mine was attached to the back of a dog. The dog was trained to run under tanks by having its food thrown under there. The mine had a simple wooden pole sticking out the top which would trip the detonator. The SOviets soon found out that the dogs couldn't distinguish between the sounds of Soviet and German tanks. Also, the Gemrna sent out an order that all dogs were to be shot on the Eastern Front due to rabies. In a few onths dogs had virtually disappeared on the front. By the end of 1941 dog mines were obsolete.

[edit on 17-1-2006 by mad scientist]

posted on Jan, 17 2006 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The mine-equipped dogs were actually highly successful according to Suvorov, I suspect the story about them blowing up Russian tanks was a bit of Western propaganda. The Cat bomb sounds like a myth.

I'm not sure about this idea that "if country A kills a lot of country B's civilians with a nuclear (or other) weapon, it's morally acceptable if it saves the lives of soldiers from country A". It seems to me that the only people who would really approve are people in country A.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join