It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Classified Patents - What could they relate to?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Hi all, to use a cliche "long time reader but a first time poster..."

Would like to get your thoughts on classified patents.

At present, there over 4,915 secrecy orders in effect at the US Patent & Trademark office - and probably many times that number in effect worldwide. Some details on these can be found at:

www.fas.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

I have no doubt that many of these inventions relate to weapons - or technologies with real weapons potential - which should not be in the public domain. However, I suspect some may relate to energy devices which could - perhaps - "upset the apple cart", so to speak. They could reduce the demand for oil to such a degree as to cause an "unmanageable upheaval" in the global economy.

From time to time, some of these patents are declassfified, but I believe there are a number which have been held over for decades - though I stand to be corrected on this.

It does indeed seem that some of these patents may not see the light of day for many years to come - if ever. The question is...what do they cover? Are there any hints? Good guesses? Inside tracks?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:03 AM
link   
My best guess would be that the older patents could be associated with components of older weapons systems, probably nuclear or chemical weapons related. Even though these components may be out dated there is no reason to expect that they couldn't be used by others to expand their capabilities in these areas.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:10 AM
link   
When I was in high school, there was a guy who participated in the MIT science fair a couple years before I did - his project was on a more efficient submarine propulsion system. His project and patent are now classified.

I've heard other stories too from professors - if the patent is classified, you know it is benefitting weapons and weapon systems.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I expected most secret patents would have direct weapons systems applications. It would serve no public benefit to have improved submarine propulsion put into the public domain - that is fully justified.

But are there any rumours of devices that could have energy implications?

posted on Jan, 16 2006 @ 10:32 PM
link   
225 secrecy orders imposed on private investors just in the last five years?

Wow.

You don't get a secrecy order imposed for inventing the Swash. These are inventions with what were perceived to have national security implications.

Also of note is that the DOE has sponsored 16 secrecy orders during the last four years. With some of the publications circulating around the internet recently (e.g., Heim Quantum Theory paper), you have to wonder what exactly the DOE has been keeping udner wraps as recently as the past four years...

Of course, any energy device that could possibly be weaponized would surely fall under such a secrecy order, and if an energy device, then why not the DOE?

[edit on 16-1-2006 by sdrumrunner]

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Hmmm, well the Swash is an idea whose time has come - I can imagine it may have its origins in those USD 50,000 toilet seats that some defence contractors invoiced the DoD for back in the 80's...

I am curious though: there are a lot of "free energy" type patents in the public domain: things such as inertia drives, methods to convert gyroscopic precession into linear force, overunity magnetic motors and other even more exotic devices. These are available...why? Is it because they slipped through the cracks...or because the patent office looked at them and knew they would not work and thought they are 'safe' to have in the public domain?

posted on Jan, 28 2006 @ 08:05 PM
link   

These are available...why?

They don't work as they violate Thermodynamics and anyone who tries to replicate it will find out just how futile getting those devices to work actually is. If there are "free energy" patents that actually work they would not slip through the cracks. There are dozens of those types of patents in the USPTO. I highly doubt they would be so inept to let those all to slip through the crack. Besides if you creatively word your patent you can get anything patented wether it exists or not.

Also the reason the DOE would recommend a patent get classified is that energy sources often can also be used as a weapon ala Nuclear

[edit on 28-1-2006 by sardion2000]

new topics

join