It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Divers find explosives in harbor near L.A

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 05:53 AM
link   
This comes a day after a bomb was found in a San Francisco Starbucks.Although the L.A harbor police say its not likely linked to terrorism. What do you think the public will conclude.

Divers Find Explosives in Harbor Near L.A.
Wed Jan 11,7:16 pm.HUNINGTON BEACH,CALIF.- Commercial grade explosives discoverd on the ocean floor south of Los Angeles.Prompted authorities to ban cell phone use Wednsday to prevent accidental detonation

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Seems like this is another scare tactic to persuade the american public to beg for marshall law

Related News Links:

Bomb scare in downtown San Francisco Starbucks

EDIT: Fixed link to go directly to article.

[edit on 1-12-2006 by Valhall]

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
They were blasting caps. At most the force of a hand grenade. They still qualify as Commercial Grade Explosives, but at worst you'll blow a hand off if you aren't careful.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:26 AM
link   
hmmm...the article reads

At least eight of the volatile explosives, which often are used to trigger larger explosions, were intentionally placed beneath nine to 15 feet of water near the shore, said Jim Amormino, spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
(emphasis added)

and

Corrosion on brightly colored wires attached to the explosives led investigators to believe they had been placed there sometime in the previous two days, Amormino said. A diver would have been able to see the wires from a distance, he added.

So...were they put there in a first stage of an operation? With the "larger explosives" to be attached soon?

Also, another fine example of authorities treating us like we're soup-drooling morons...

Authorities did not immediately known why the explosives had been placed there but said terrorism was not suspected.

...idiots.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:28 AM
link   
The larger explosives would have to have been attached first, if there were going to be any. Blasting caps aren't the most stable things, and if you don't hook them up just right, they tend to go off in your hand. Leaving them underwater for a few days first would be considered a Bad Thing to do.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:30 AM
link   
No they wouldn't have to be attached first. Yes, it would be a bad way to do it, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Sure it could, but the chances of blowing yourself up, go WAY up if you do it that way. If you're gonna leave bigger bombs underwater, you don't want to blow yourself up with them, before you can place them.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I spotted this story yesterday and I also thought that it was interesting that the authorities immediately dismiss the terrorist slant. Especially when as has been pointed out the explosives were intentionaly placed.
Add to this the fact that in Dallas Fort Worth, a grenade was found lodged in a large crack on a highway. The bomb squad blew the thing up.
To me this is a bit much to be coincidental. Such extremely unlikely non-terroristic events occuring on the same day is a bit of a stretch of the imagination.
I started a thread on this yesterday going over the terror slant of this event.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:34 AM
link   
I'm wondering if the intent wasn't just to leave these until they were so unstable just the action of a passing boat would set them off. In other words, the end intent to cause fear, not necessarily damage.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:36 AM
link   
That actually makes a lot of sense. And it wouldn't take long for a blasting cap to become unstable and that to happen.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:37 AM
link   
kenshiro,

Thanks for the link to your thread. I had not heard anything about the hand grenade in Dallas. That's a weird one.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Okay, so we've got a live explosive device in a toilet in a Starbucks. A hand grenade positioned in a highway crack (note, the article states that the pin was still in the grenade, but how long would it have taken for traffic to change that?), and "intentionally placed" detonating caps in an L.A. harbor. Caps placed within past 3 days (i.e. Monday? same day device found in Starbucks in S.F.?), and grenade placement in Dallas totally unknown.

hmmm...

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Oh yeah, this is the kind of double-talk I love to see from our authorities.

From above article written yesterday at 6:16 pm

At least eight of the volatile explosives, which often are used to trigger larger explosions, were intentionally placed beneath nine to 15 feet of water near the shore, said Jim Amormino, spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.

From article on seattlepi.com, same author (Gillian Flaccus) about one hour later:

seattlepi.nwsource.com...

"They were probably tossed. I doubt if they were purposely strategically placed," Amormino said.

Same dude, totally opposite statements.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
of course these were not terrorist acts..we have the patriot act that prevents u.s. citizens from becoming terrorists, forgien terrorists from comming into the u.s. and spots and stops terror before it strikes......terrorists on AMERIKAN soil..blasphemy i say..

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on."
- George W. Bush, Gridiron Club dinner, Washington, DC, March 2001.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Same dude, totally opposite statements.

Same dude, totally different reporters. Could be one made a mistake in quoting the source. It's not like it's never happened before.

I understand your perspective, Valhall, but again, these are blasting caps. It's my (admittedly limited) understanding that they are not powerful at all.

To suggest that these were placed by terrorists makes me feel awfully safe, as they must be the stupidest terrorists ever. Next thing you know, they'll be trying to take down the Sears Tower with bottle rockets and a cherry bomb. Or maybe they'll go after Fort Knox with M-80s...

Maybe we should start calling our local fireworks stores "terrorist bomb-making factories."

I would be careful about putting these stories together to suggest a terrorist plot. Why should we? Just because explosives are involved? How many shootings were there this week in the U.S.? Terrorists use guns, don't they? So all those shootings must have been terrorists. See what I'm getting at.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Hamburglar,
The acts themselves do not have to devastating in the number of deaths or destruction. Think of it this way, If the bomb had gone off in the Starbuck's bathroom, one person may have died. If the grenade had gone off in DFW, One vehicle would have been destroyed and caused a large backup on the highway.
The blastingcaps also would not have caused significant damage to the boats etc.
Now the phsycological damage though to the US citizens would have been worse. IF these acts are determined to have been of a terroristic origion, then that will lead to the americans to loss their false sense of security. That now the average citizen can be hit by a terrorist anywhere at anytime.
Another thought, these may have been dry runs by a terror group to see just howmuch they could get away with before they or their weapons are located.
No one has yet determined exactly when any of the bombs were placed (except for the Starbucks that is). The blasting caps and the grenade could have been set day's weeks ago.
Also in both the blasting cap story as well as the grenade story, these are tightly controlled items. You cannot just walk into your local Walmart or hunting shop and pick them up. In the blasting caps story, they are only sold through authorized dealers to authorized engineers. The grenade though are not sold though other than arms dealers (illegal).

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I'm sorry, but a bomb in a toilet, a bomb in the gulf, and a grenade in a big crack......all just happened to be found just in the nick of time. Come on. There has got to be more to this. Some one had to have given the heads up on all these. If it is terrorists, then they are playing games. From the looks of it its working.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:03 AM
link   
My concern is that we have a case of misguided youths, perhaps sympathetic to anyone being held down "by the man", wanting to cause problems in any way they can...

it used to be, that they would chunk rocks off overpasses, or set tire killers on the highway(nails made to stand up)... or perhaps just vandalize...

we have delt with these troublesome youths before. We didn't call them terrorists though. Pipe bombs have become the anxious teens way of showing that "he/she has power" when in reality, not even as much as owning a gun.

anyone can make a pipebomb, and it probably makes them feel big and dangerous, but the truth is that they rarely are anything but pathetic wannabees that will only go thru easy means to prove themselves.

My contention here is that someone had stolen these due to unusual circumstance (they came across them, but wern't looking for them), and after the pipe bomb, they ditched them so that any of the people they told, wouldn't report him. (they apparently weren't far from shore)
I suspect that someone will come forward claiming to know the person who ditched them.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I also viewed this article on Wednesday and my conclusion is that these Blasting Caps were tossed over the side of a boat as trash.

Most likley from a construction crew disposing of trash before returning to port or dock.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:40 PM
link   
if they were going to be used on a bomb, its not a small bomb they were goin to use or it was for many bombs, i saw they turned off cell signals there so im guessing these were improvised blasting caps made with cell phones? if not i dont understand why they did that....

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Because anytime you find an explosive you turn off cell phones. A cell signal can set off an IED. Especially when you're dealing with blasting caps.

[edit on 1/12/2006 by Zaphod58]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join