It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of the world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Since it is postulated that there is a black hole in the center of the galaxy it could very well be the end then,couldn't it?.

posted on Sep, 30 2003 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The thing is nothing is decided. We don't know for sure no matter how much material we find or how many people write about any particular subject.

Let's say it is "The End". What is it the end of? Those two words can and have been interpreted in so many different ways. And many of those ways are on this thread. In the end is when we will find out for sure. If you cross reference as much material as possible some of the interpretations fall away. After a lot of cross referencing from many different sources the point comes where it appears to be "an end and a beginning" as someone pointed out. However, this is still not fact. We could argue till "The End" of Time about what "The End" means. But we won't know for sure till it gets here. And thus the beautiful mystery of our condition. I'm personally enjoying the story.

----

Yes, our sun will align with what is called the dark rift which just happens to be the center of our galaxy.

"To start with, however, I use the exact center of the Milky Way band that one finds on star charts, known as the "Galactic Equator" (not to be confused with Galactic Center). Where the Galactic Equator crosses the ecliptic in Sagittarius just happens to be where the dark rift in the Milky Way begins. This is a dark bifurcation in the Milky Way caused by interstellar dust clouds. To observers on earth, it appears as a dark road which begins near the ecliptic and stretches along the Milky Way up towards Polaris. The Maya today are quite aware of this feature; the Quich� Maya call it xibalba be (the "road to Xibalba") and the Chorti Maya call it the "camino de Santiago". In Dennis Tedlock's translation of the Popol Vuh, we find that the ancient Maya called it the "Black Road". The Hero Twins Hunahpu and Xbalanque must journey down this road to battle the Lords of Xibalba. (Tedlock 334, 358). Furthermore, what Schele has identified as the Sacred Tree was known to the ancient Quich� simply as "Crossroads."

This celestial feature was not marginal in ancient Mayan thought and is still rec- ognized even today. In terms of how this feature was mythologized, it seems that when a planet, the sun, or the moon entered the dark cleft of the Milky Way in Sagittarius (which happens to be the exact center of the Milky Way, the Galactic Equator), entrance to the underworld road was possible, which could then take the journeyer up to the Heart of Sky. Shamanic vision rites were probably involved in this scenario. In the Yucatan, underground caves were ritual places used by shaman to journey to the underworld. Schele explains that "Mayan mythology identifies the Road to Xibalba as going through a cave" (Forest of Kings, 209). Here we have a metaphorical reference to the "dark rift" in the Milky Way by way of its terrestrial counterpart, a syncretism between earth and sky which is characteristic of Mayan thinking. Above all, what is becoming apparent from the corpus of Mayan Creation Myths is that creation seems to have taken place at a celestial crossroads - the crossing point of ecliptic and Milky Way."

www.levity.com...

[Edited on 30-9-2003 by uIVIa]

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 04:42 PM
link   
what would the possible implications of entering thedark rift be? I mean as in physical effects on the earth.
cheers

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 04:52 PM
link   
this makes me think of the song.. the end by the doors

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by heelstone
There is no doubt in my mind that this world will be destroyed. Though that date will be several million (or billion) years from now when the sun goes red giant/supernova and either bakes the earth or destroys it completely.

Actually our sun donest have sufficient mass to go noca or supernoa, although it will go to the red giant phase sometime in the next half billion years or so...

posted on Oct, 5 2003 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Personally, I think you'd better plan on being here in 2012 and 2022 and 2032 and so on and so forth. The world will end, but not for another billion years or so, as Heelstone said.

In the meantime, expect prophets of Disaster N Doom R Us to be showing up every year with a new END OF THE WORLD prediction. Christian prophets have been doing it every year since the death of Jesus and there's no sign that they're going to quit doing it.

This year we were supposed to have been swept up in the Apocalypse and Planet X in May was supposed to have trashed the Earth and... oh yes... two or three killer comets were going to wipe out most of the Earth (and we haven't even gotten into the holiday season.)

Might care to take a gander here...

www.denyignorance.com...

Now, for the record, I am NOT saying that this event will destroy the world, although it will certainly have very negative effects for most of the North American continent.

*note* It certainly does give food for thought to Vals idea that a superpower like the US doesnt show up in the Book of Revelations because it may have been taken out alreaady by this potential event.

Also, for the record, I would like to point out that I am NOT pinning a specific date on the potential eruption, and that theter is indeed a chance that no eruption will take place (although I owuld say it is rather probable that it will).

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 10:21 PM
link   
the end of our world will be in 2012. It fits perfectly with everything else. The bible predicts the begining of our final days and begining of antichrist rule will start after a treaty is signed with israel, which i heard is set to be in 2005. The bible also predicts there will be seven final years of tribulation, it is exactly 7 years from 2005 to 2012.

posted on Oct, 6 2003 @ 10:46 PM
link   
End Of The World, Sounds to death ridden.

What exactly will happen, 2005 or 2012 im not too sure.

Im more keen to believe that the world , or our global society as we know it will end, and we'll enter a new level of existance.

It think our world is already doomed the way we are headed now, Were more worried about ourselves than humanity in general.
Money has become God, and Greed reverance.

I do remember something about a astroid heading for earth, and coming by on 2012 directly at us, or it might just miss us. Can anyone fill me in more, please?

I for one dont think Any God, Gods would on this "Judgment Day" save a single sect of people.
I for one dont even think were worthy of being God's children.
Look around and ask yourselves what have we done as a society that dignifies us....Nothing.
Well thats my opinion anyways. Personaly if God were to say that we are not worthy of being saved, would not complain.

This is not to say that thier has not been times were we have proved out selves worthy, or thier not have been certain beings that have proven themselves. Just as a whole I dont believe we have proven ourselves.

You know what I just noticed, that I went from Wether or not "The End of the World" would occur, to absolute babble. Oh well your the one sitting thier reading my babble.
Deep

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Why is it more than acceptable to declare the impossibility of the end of the world not for another billion years, and very shadey to suggest that it may in fact be very soon? What knowledge do you hold that gives such the right to discard sooner than later? Common sense? Realism? Aren't those things shakey as well? It is those things most which cause people to be surprised...yes, every year is the end of the world, true, but the 2012 date is not of only the mayan, but over 15 other ancient civilizations, the mathmatics involved are as old as thousands of years B.C. Anyone interested I recommend you read the book entitled The Mayan Prophecies...

[Edited on 11-10-2003 by CosmicFury]

[Edited on 11-10-2003 by CosmicFury]

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigdanprice
what would the possible implications of entering thedark rift be? I mean as in physical effects on the earth.
cheers

is the dark rift the change of magnectic poles?

posted on Oct, 16 2003 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigdanprice
cheers

Perhaps getting sucked into the black hole... HEY, maybe God IS the blackhole.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
The end of the world? If it's prophesized and supposed to happen, it probably will have a hard time taking place. The end of the world AS WE KNOW IT, well that's something else. All I know is that something's going to happen.

posted on Jan, 3 2006 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon
supposedly at the end of 2005 the earth will be destroyed. but i dont know why its supposedly i think in the incan,mayan or aztec calendar when the end of the world is. does any one know anything else about this?

Apparently 2005 was the wrong call. 2006 is here.
The end of the world is hard to picture. What does that mean anyway?

posted on Jan, 9 2006 @ 06:11 PM
link   
2006, we are still alive.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by bourbon

Actually it is dec. 5, 2012.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Middle of 2008 - still alive

Amazingly prophets of doom have a 100% failure rate.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join