It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islamic Revolution in Egypt?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I just had a horrible thought while watching a documentary on ancient Egypt...

What if a Taliban-like regime ever got control of Egypt? Remember they destroyed ancient Buddhas in Afghanistan on the grounds they were against Islam.

Could the priceless ancient Egyptian artifacts ever be lost if something like this happens in Egypt?

(sticking this here, cause I don't know where to put it)

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Egypt is a democracy, they elect their government

But on a more serious note. Their is a world of differance between Egypt and Afganistan. The treasures of Egypt are to numerable to mention while Afganistan had the giant Budhas and opium.

I don't see the monuments of Egypt being destroyed, but this is just a personal opinion.

I just don't fine it likely.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
What if a Taliban-like regime ever got control of Egypt? Remember they destroyed ancient Buddhas in Afghanistan on the grounds they were against Islam.

Could the priceless ancient Egyptian artifacts ever be lost if something like this happens in Egypt?

The Taliban as I understand it as well as al qaeda were all founded on the Egyptian/Muslim brotherhood and that very same group or at least a portion of it tried to get a better foothold in Egypt during their recent elections. So I would say yes there would be a very distinct possibility
Source

Muslim Brother hood

(sticking this here, cause I don't know where to put it)

Well uhm I could tell you were to (ah forget it)

Just to clarify here I am referring to those groups like the above I mentioned that are normally trained by fanatic mujaheddin clerics.

[edit on 1/11/2006 by shots]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Is something about all these countries they all muslin majority and Islamic law rule, they will interpret depending their needs.

So democratic yeah.
but behind the government the religion still rules.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Here's a link on the recent election results:

news.bbc.co.uk...

The Taliban came to power off the back of decades of chaos, and I *believe* they were initially popular because they 'restored order'.

I don't suppose we can whine in the West about arab regimes being undemocratic, only to say that we don't like the fact that the oppressed masses vote for the 'fundie' candidates, who seem to run a lot of independent social welfare programs that the state doesn't.

I personally think that the Muslim Brotherhood having 20% of the seats in the Egyptian parliament is more healthy than Mubarak getting 96% of the vote elections!

TD

new topics

top topics

join