It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: NTSB Issues Report on Mysterious Alabama Plane Crash

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
The National Transportation Safety Board has released a report on a 2002 plane crash in Alabama that had piqued the interest of UFO enthusiasts. Once thought to have been caused by a collision with an unexplained object in flight, the Board now says the pilot likely crashed the plane trying to avoid collision with another plane. Red paint marks on the wreckage that appeared to have come from a collision with an object, possibly a military drone, was found to match cargo found in the plane itself. The family members of the deceased pilot doubt the NTSB's conclusions and are planning to go ahead with a lawsuit in federal court.

www.washingtonpost.com
The federal government said yesterday that it has solved the three-year-old mystery of a small plane crash in Alabama that, at least initially, appeared to have been the result of an in-flight collision with an unexplained object.

The nighttime crash in October 2002 of the single-engine Cessna cargo plane killed the pilot, the plane's only occupant, and launched UFO and government-conspiracy theories on Web sites, pondering what it might have collided with. Red scuff marks were found on pieces of the wreckage after it was pulled from a swamp.
After taking the unusual step of moving the aircraft to Washington and sending the red paint marks to four laboratories for testing, the National Transportation Safety Board concluded that the pilot became disoriented while flying through cloud layers and crashed the plane probably after seeing a large plane coming near him.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This does sound like it could be some type of coverup. I would think it'd be obvious to tell the difference between markings made by spilled cargo and paint marks from a collision.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: NTSB: Unknown object downed Cessna in swamp near Mobile

[edit on 1/11/2006 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Good find

What I find odd is there is no mention of running an analysis of the Red Scuff marks found on the plane. Surely if it was normal paint they should have been able to identify it as either man made or unknown. Just the absence of an explanation of those marks makes me tend to agree that this is indeed a cover up.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The full NTSB report does mention that an analysis was done on the red scuff marks. In fact two government laboratories and two civilian laboratories ran the tests with simular results.

Full NTSB Report

While I am sorry for this family's loss to me this is nothing more than an attempt to hold someone responsible for what was pilot error. I hope that this lawsuit is thrown out before it goes any further. To me this is just an attempt by the family or the lawyer to get rich off of a tragic accident.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Thanks for the link it helps somewhat, yet I am still wondering why they use terms like spectra versus "paint chip".

I have been under the understanding that for a long time now forensic scientists can take a scuff mark or scraping of paint and identify it right down to the manufacturer and in the case of cars actual models it was used on by make and model. That is why the answers in the report bother me since they clearly did not break it down that far as they should have.

Guess it is just more legal mumbo jumbo to confuse the masses.:shk:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:27 AM
link   
They can identify a make and model of car by a paint chip, provided the paint chip is from the car's original factory paint job. Aircraft on the other hand are usually delivered without paint and are painted and customized by a third party vendor. Aircraft can often be repainted or touched up several times during their life (I used to make quite a bit of money doing that on the side). There is no database for aircraft paint, like there is for automobile paint.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
We're not talking about a local flying school Cessna 150 here. These aircraft are flown in cloud all the time and have sophisticated GPS and nav systems, as well as pilots certified to fly in instrument only conditions. It's a bit like saying it was dark so he couldn't see where he was going!
I don't see how the pilot could have become disoriented because of cloud layers?

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I realize what you are saying but I beg to differ with you. I am sure if forensice scienc is so refined they can determine who made a certain ink found on the scene, they surely can identify who made a particular paint. That was the point I was/am trying to make here.

new topics

top topics

join