It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airline bans Bibles to avoid offending Muslims

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
"A British airline banned its staff from taking Bibles and wearing crucifixes or St. Christopher medals on flights to Saudi Arabia to avoid offending the country's Muslims.

British Midland International also has told female flight attendants they must walk two paces behind male colleagues and cover themselves from head to foot in a headscarf and robe known as an abaya, the Mirror newspaper of London reported. "

www.worldnetdaily.com...

OK then perhaps the planet should stop importing oil from the "kingdom" so we don't offend "ELF"...................

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:06 AM
link   
now I think this is taking it a little too far.

While I have no support for organized religion of any kind, I do support an individual's right to be themselves, a christian flight attendant should be able to carry their bible and wear their cross just as a hindu attendant be able to wear her bindi and a muslim attendant her abaya.

If this is the new way of things, then muslims shouldn't wear burqas while visiting christian countries...hmmm but we are asking them to modify their behavior while living in western countries by banning headscarves from school, maybe it's fair after all.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 08:17 AM
link   
i have no problem respecting their culture while i am in their country. the problem i have is that when they move to western nations, they expect us to change our cultures to conform to theirs.....and it happens. example: the UN investigation into political cartoons in western papers that make fun of mohammad, while humor at the expense of other religions is perfectly acceptable.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 10:50 AM
link   
You can hardly blame the airline. They were probably pressured by the saudi government to do this.

Only sunni islam can be practiced in saudi arabia, even shi'a islam is illegal there.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well Nygdan, it shouldn't matter what religions are legal
and which ones aren't. If they expect to be part of the
21st century and have airplanes landing and taking off
from their country, then they'll have to learn how to
TOLERATE others. It's a business decision.

If I ran British Airways ... I'd cancel all flights into
Saudi Arabia until the people that run that country
grow up.

Note to Saudi Arabia -

Ya'll want airplane transportation and modern goods??
Then ya'll have to realize that everyone is different and
that some of the 2 billion christians on this planet might
want to read their bibles when their airplanes are in
flight. They aren't shoving it in your faces ... they are
just quietly practicing their faith. DEAL with it!

[edit on 1/11/2006 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Oh, okay... So they'll ban these things to placate the Saudis, but who cares about offending the practices and beliefs of their own employees?

Honestly now, that's just rubbish. If I were an employee I would get a ban going on working flights to Saudi Arabia!

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:41 AM
link   
That will never happen Saudi has become a powerful ally to the west, and occurs their money and power is spread world wide, they very well own the world.

They have already gotten in our media, so where money goes and who have it will rule the world.

This is not big surprise. When somebody said that Islam and muslin will take over I though it was hilarious now I am no so sure anymore.

We will end up catering to their regious needs.

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I certainly don't trust World Nut Daily as a valid news source, so I tried to find corroboration of this story elsewhere.

The only other source is the Daily Mirror, which is a tabloid newspaper....
www.mirror.co.uk... tm_objectid=16570324%26method=full%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

For some reason, I very much doubt that this story is true. Come on people, can't we be more skeptical about these things?

Saudi Arabia....

They already did in March 2005.

[edit on 11-1-2006 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
I certainly don't trust World Nut Daily as a trustworthy news source, so I tried to find corroboration of this story elsewhere.

Oh geez! I didn't even see the source! Good catch!

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I can be skeptical, but you have to understand that Saudi Arabia is rule by a very powerful and wealthy family they own many investments around the world, including US so it kinds of make me think that could be true.

After all whenever money and power is involve you know who is going to win.

[edit on 11-1-2006 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Saudi Arabia until the people that run that country
grow up.

i dont think they'd be real worried about it. a list of airlines that serve saudi:

Air Arabia (Sharjah)
Air France (Paris CDG)
Air India (Delhi, Mumbai)
Ariana Afghan Airlines (Kabul)
Biman Bangladesh (Dhaka)
British Airways (London Heathrow)
Cyprus Airways (Larnaca)
Egyptair (Cairo)
Emirates (Dubai)
Ethiopian Airlines (Addis Abeba)
Garuda Indonesia (Jakarta)
Gulf Air (Muscat)
Iran Air (Tehran)
Kuwait Airways (Kuwait)
Libyan Arab Airlines (Tripoli)
Lufthansa (Frankfurt)
Malaysia Airlines (Kuala Lumpur)
Middle East Airlines (Beirut)
Pakistan International Airlines (Karachi)
Palestinian Airlines (Gaza)
Qatar Airways (Doha)
Royal Air Maroc (Casablanca)
Royal Brunei (Bandar Seri Begawan)
Royal Jordanian (Amman)
Singapore Airlines (Dubai and Singapore)
Somali Airlines
Sudan Airways (Khartoum)
Syrian Arab Airlines (Damascus)
Swiss International Airlines (Zurich)
Turkish Airlines (Istanbul)
Tunisair (Tunis)
Uzbekistan Airways (Tashkent)
World Airways (United States)
Yemenia (Sanaa)

in addition, they have their own national airline called strangely enough, saudi arabian airlines that operates out of King Abdulaziz International Airport with service to dulles international in DC (northern va actually, but they call it dc), heathrow, paris, frankfurt, etc.

saudi flies two or three times a week to dulles, from which you can catch a flight to anywhere in the country. i know, because i work aircraft transitioning from oceanic to US control, and see them at least three times a week.

source

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I can see it now.....there's an emergency on the plane, and the stewardesses must act fast!!! only, ummm......they're covered head to toe and must follow 2 steps behind the old man with a cane.....so the plane crashes, all die.....all because of some ancient tradition that was forced down the stewardesses throats.....

the airline would either be arranging flights for me that don't go into the middle east, or well, they'd be looking for another stewardess....that arrangement would interfer with my ability to do my job too much!

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Let's remember, up until a woman officer sued a couple of years ago, US military women had to bend over backwards for our Saudi friends:

Here's the irony: Capt. Lenderman can fly these sophisticated aircraft over Saudi Arabia but off-base, she's not allowed to drive or even sit in the front seat of a car.

That's why the American women serving at Prince Sultan for all practical purposes, hardly ever leave the base.

They don't have to stay on base but they do. We heard that repeatedly. The few who leave the base adhere to local restrictions. One service woman told me, "If we have people that go downtown, they wear burkas or the abeyahs and try to respect the traditions."

A lawsuit filed by U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Martha McSally earlier this year forced the Pentagon to drop the requirement that women in the military serving in Saudi Arabia wear those traditional Muslim garments when they're off base.
CNN

So this story, if true, can't be that shocking. If a country like the United States was willing to bend at the will of a rich client, why shouldn't a private business?

posted on Jan, 11 2006 @ 04:24 PM
link   
then ban all books of religion. because other religions made now get offended.. I am glad I am not a christian nor a muslim or jew ect.
I am not offended if they all banned.
just offended if there are bibles and korans all over the plane

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
then ban all books of religion. because other religions made now get offended.. I am glad I am not a christian nor a muslim or jew ect.
I am not offended if they all banned.
just offended if there are bibles and korans all over the plane

Perhaps if the TEN COMMANDMENTs were etched into the back of every airline seat, I would not be offended either.

Public schools should be required to have a daily "christian" prayer too and require reading of the Torah.

posted on Jan, 12 2006 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Thermopolis, try to stay on topic.

Originally posted by FlyersFan
It's a business decision.

Thats why its not going to change. Its about business. This airline doesn't care about jesus or anything like that anyway. Heck, I wouldn't expect them too.

jamuhn
very much doubt that this story is true

I had written to the airline earlier, because I don't trust World Nut Daily for a moment, they often fabricate stuff and seem incapable of not altering even real reports. I doubt that we'll hear back from the airline, but there's a chance they might not like the bad press. Its not unthinkable though, christianity, even shi'a islam, is illegal in saudi arabia, and visitors have to conform to their rules when in country. I can see some sheiks complainig to their government, which contacts the airline, and boof, this new policy.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Thermopolis, try to stay on topic.

The "topic" is anti-christian behavior. The world is being strangled by Islam aided by the $$$ from oil rich muslim countries. This airline is but one point.

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I can see it now.....there's an emergency on the plane, and the stewardesses must act fast!!! only, ummm......they're covered head to toe and must follow 2 steps behind the old man with a cane.....so the plane crashes, all die.....all because of some ancient tradition that was forced down the stewardesses throats.....

the airline would either be arranging flights for me that don't go into the middle east, or well, they'd be looking for another stewardess....that arrangement would interfer with my ability to do my job too much!

The coverings and other rules only apply when they're on the ground, off the plane, if this is true. As long as they're in the air, or on the plane, then they don't have to do anything special, but when they're walking around in the city, or are off the plane, then it's Saudi law. I can see both sides of this argument.

[edit on 1/13/2006 by Zaphod58]

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:40 AM
link   
If I ever have the opportunity to turn down this airline...I will.

I'm not a boycotter, but I'm not giving my money to a company that is ran by idiots. It offends me far too much to think my little hard-earned dollars would be enslaved for indeterminant amounts of time by morons.

Remember - Free the li'l GreenBacks!

lol

posted on Jan, 13 2006 @ 07:45 AM
link   
EH ban the bible cause it offends muslims WTF??

muslims on any planes OFFEND me then ban muslims from going on planes WTF no that wont happen thats to un political bs correct........

oh yea it was muslims that did 9/11 wasn't it???

thats an example of how silly things are ^^^^^^^^^^^

muslims don't really offend me but when things like that popup its taking the piss to be honest.....

ALSO if we want to please the muslims even further why not change our laws to their laws if you steal chop your hand off etc etc

and while we are at that why not lop the heads of enemy terrorists on TV as they do same to hostages???

Shesh what a pile of stinky brown bull.

[edit on 13-1-2006 by blobby]

[edit on 13-1-2006 by blobby]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join